• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NASA's Curiosity Rover - Touchdown confirmed. 21-0 Duke

676475main_pia16057-43_946-710.jpg

The little silver dot in the middle of the bottom left quadrant is curiosity. If you get a chance, check out the high-res image.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/676478main_pia16057-full_full.jpg

Seriously, are they just missing that part of the photo? Why would they black out areas?

Such a cool picture. The imaging technology on this thing is cutting edge. The pic is a zoomed in closeup of a rock which they zapped with the laser to create plasma to read with spectrometers.

ChemCam hit Coronation(the rock in the picture below) with 30 pulses of its laser during a 10-second period. Each pulse delivered more than a million watts of power for about five one-billionths of a second. The energy from the laser excited atoms in the rock into an ionized, glowing plasma. ChemCam also caught the light from that spark with a telescope and analyzed it with three spectrometers for information about what elements are in the target.

PIA16075_modest.jpg

Video of the heat shield impacting the Martian surface. Taken from the Mars Descent Imager.

If you missed the reddit AMA from the Curiosity guys, it's a must-read.

I think that is dummy data. The weather measuring device(REMS) hasn't been calibrated yet.

Oh, bro don't send me a link that isn't giving the correct information.

How cold is Mars typically? Does the extra distance from the sun make it way cold or what?

Oh, bro don't send me a link that isn't giving the correct information.

How cold is Mars typically? Does the extra distance from the sun make it way cold or what?

I think I heard that the highest temp they had measured in Curiosity's location was 1 celsius. They chose an equatorial location to keep it from getting too cold for the rover.

edit: Looks like they turned it on today. The Rover Environmental Monitoring Station, or REMS, also was collecting data about the weather on Mars, showing a high temperature Thursday of a relatively balmy 276 degrees above absolute zero, or about 37 degrees Fahrenheit.

I think I heard that the highest temp they had measured in Curiosity's location was 1 celsius. They chose an equatorial location to keep it from getting too cold for the rover.

edit: Looks like they turned it on today. The Rover Environmental Monitoring Station, or REMS, also was collecting data about the weather on Mars, showing a high temperature Thursday of a relatively balmy 276 degrees above absolute zero, or about 37 degrees Fahrenheit.

Nice we need to get some snow machines up there and start a ski operation asap on those slopes. How's the gravity?

Nice we need to get some snow machines up there and start a ski operation asap on those slopes. How's the gravity?

A little bit less than Earth. It would be a good time for sure. You could ski for days straight down Olympus Mons. It is 14 miles high.

A little bit less than Earth. It would be a good time for sure. You could ski for days straight down Olympus Mons. It is 14 miles high.

Sweeeet, gonna get some baller air time.

Back