• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Parks You've Visited

First State National Park. Newest National Park. (Thanks VP Biden). I've been to most of the pieces of it, before they were designated as a NP.

of the ones not claimed..

Lake Chelan National Recreation Area Washington
Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area Washington
North Cascades National Park' Washington
Ross Lake National Recreation Area Washington
Oregon Caves National Monument Oregon
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve Louisiana
New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park Louisiana

I hit Canyonlands & Arches last year. Very nice.

When does the Trump Tower National Monument announcement happen?

planning to hit up redwood (first time), olympic (first time), yellowstone, grand teton, wind cave, and bad lands this summer.

If anyone ever updates mine are below. Gunnison is one of my favorite places in the world.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park Colorado
Colorado National Monument Colorado
Hovenweep
Minuteman Missile National Historic Site South Dakota
Guadalupe Mountains National Park Texas
Capitol Reef National Park Utah
Cedar Breaks National Monument Utah
Timpanogos Cave National Monument Utah

Please tell me more about Gunnison. I have been close and will be close again this summer.

Please tell me more about Gunnison. I have been close and will be close again this summer.

It's a deep, rather narrow canyon. At one point the sides are only 40 feet apart but like 1500 feet deep. The hikes for the most part aren't really trails; they are controlled falls/slides down, and steep hauls on the way up. But as short as 3-4 miles or so in and out, so intense but not long time wise. It's all beautiful too, and just outside of the park there are other preserves too. On the north side, which is far more remote, there is an awesome mountain hike too, but the hikes into the canyon are longer and tougher. I have not done any canyon hikes from the north side.

It's quite hot in the summer and all "trails" have max hikers per day so you have to get up early to get permits.

Haas Cape Lookout National Seashore been named? I worked there for three summers doing my masters degree field work / data collection, many years ago. Absolutely amazing place.

It's a deep, rather narrow canyon. At one point the sides are only 40 feet apart but like 1500 feet deep. The hikes for the most part aren't really trails; they are controlled falls/slides down, and steep hauls on the way up. But as short as 3-4 miles or so in and out, so intense but not long time wise. It's all beautiful too, and just outside of the park there are other preserves too. On the north side, which is far more remote, there is an awesome mountain hike too, but the hikes into the canyon are longer and tougher. I have not done any canyon hikes from the north side.

It's quite hot in the summer and all "trails" have max hikers per day so you have to get up early to get permits.

That sounds like it might be too much for an 8 and 10 year old. They can go for a good 15 miles or so without complaint, but not controlled falls.

Back