• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State High School Championship Games

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
I assume next weekend there will be a couple of NC High School state title games at BB&T field, has our football coaching staff played any roll as host for those in the past? Just wondering if they had played any part and of course that would be impacted by our coaching vacancy.

I think in the past they have spent that weekend recruiting, not necessarily at Groves. I don't think there's much impact.

I agree, it will always be Groves Stadium to me. Thanks for the info.

Fwiw, I think there are rules that limit the amount of contact college coaches can have at this games. Not sure how much recruiting benefit there is.

Fwiw, I think there are rules that limit the amount of contact college coaches can have at this games. Not sure how much recruiting benefit there is.

Plus, no offense to the schools that are playing. This years teams at wake are 1-a and 1-AA. There probably aren't as many recruit prospects as you would find for 3A or bigger schools.

The consensus every year on the ncpreps.com site is that by far the best of the 3 championship venues (Cater-Finley, Kenan, BB&T) is BB&T. Part of it is that small crowds aren't swallowed at our place, but also the conditon of the field in December, parking and site lines and video board make it the best experience for both the players and fans.
And it certailny doesn't hurt to have some D1-level sophomores/juniors at our place to come away impressed.

The consensus every year on the ncpreps.com site is that by far the best of the 3 championship venues (Cater-Finley, Kenan, BB&T) is BB&T. Part of it is that small crowds aren't swallowed at our place, but also the conditon of the field in December, parking and site lines and video board make it the best experience for both the players and fans.
And it certailny doesn't hurt to have some D1-level sophomores/juniors at our place to come away impressed.

Parking and traffic flow is a huge advantage with multiple games played that day.

The 3 games at Raleigh this year, have 5 undefeated teams out of the 6 participating.

Plus, no offense to the schools that are playing. This years teams at wake are 1-a and 1-AA. There probably aren't as many recruit prospects as you would find for 3A or bigger schools.

While I agree with the sentiment, we are also hosting the 3AA championship, I believe. And the 1AA game will feature a 3* and the 3AA game will feature a couple future 3*/4*. Great football games across the state.

07, does the marching band get to travel to the state championships?

They have looked really dominant this year. New HC too.

Isn't this Richard Bailey's 2nd year at Scotland? I could well be wrong on that,but I thouht Chip Williams retired after the championship 2 years ago.
I'm a Fighting Scot alumni; plan to be there Saturday. The Scotland program has had a pretty good pipeline to NCSU for a number of years; would love to see a few end up in the black & gold in the future.

While I agree with the sentiment, we are also hosting the 3AA championship, I believe. And the 1AA game will feature a 3* and the 3AA game will feature a couple future 3*/4*. Great football games across the state.

07, does the marching band get to travel to the state championships?

I don't know. I went to the championship game 3 years ago, but I don't remember if the band was there.

Isn't this Richard Bailey's 2nd year at Scotland? I could well be wrong on that,but I thouht Chip Williams retired after the championship 2 years ago.
I'm a Fighting Scot alumni; plan to be there Saturday. The Scotland program has had a pretty good pipeline to NCSU for a number of years; would love to see a few end up in the black & gold in the future.

I think you are right. I was just pointing out the return to the championship with a different coach. It's just nice to be kicking the crap out of Richmond now.

Pretty sure the QB is going to UNC. There is more D1 talent on this roster than last time. Williams' approach to overhaul S&C program and develop talent throughout the county should pay off for a while.

Last edited:
I don't know. I went to the championship game 3 years ago, but I don't remember if the band was there.

I think it's a school by school basis based on if the school can afford to send the bands. I have heard the stat but don't remember what it is as far as the cost to get the teams of various sports to state championships. Unless its a school with wealthy families or has a reputation of having several state champions it can be a costly adventure. Some even quietly get donations to help defer the costs.

Last edited:
The fighting Scots band was there last time but I was disappointed to find out they no longer have any bagpipers and had to pay someone to play in the stands for part of the game.

Our school (4a) sends our band to all playoff games. They were fortunate enough to play in the state championship at Groves a few years back. Even though we lost, it was a pretty amazing feeling to tailgate and see our hs team playing at Groves.

I have volunteered at this event the last couple years, helping out with the band and other areas. It's definitely a cost issue for some schools, although one year the band director decided not to bring the band (which was stressed by many upset fans of that school, which shall remain unnamed). Its been about 50/50 for the games with bands. I'm looking forward to it again this year!

Back