• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State High School Championship Games

Cost is the main issue for bands. Big cost is paying for the driver(s). A lot of bigger schools will need at least 3 buses as well as a truck for equipment. Our band had several parents with CDL's that volunteered to drive.

Cost is the main issue for bands. Big cost is paying for the driver(s). A lot of bigger schools will need at least 3 buses as well as a truck for equipment. Our band had several parents with CDL's that volunteered to drive.

Through in that depending on school system policy, if it is over so many miles then it has to be a charter bus and not an activity bus.

Our school system had the same policy as what WakeGal speaks - small system out in the county. It depends to on the relationships at the school, and how the AD/Band dir. get along, as to whether or not who is paying for the band to come, (i.e. band boosters/budget or the school). TBH, I'm not exactly sure what monies are - I know that most HS seem to lose money on the playoffs - I think that a ton of the ticket revenue has to be given back to the NCHSAA and that the normal freebie passes that a school could give out at their own games are invalid. So your left with concessions and some expenses - you might break even but you might lose money in the playoffs, all of which would put a dent into the band budgets.

Having said all that, I hope that all the bands would come to support their team. Unless you are Independence HS in the early 2000s, don't count on making the playoffs/state championships every year and you should (if you can, that is) go and enjoy it. I hope even though we are hosting the smaller schools that we have a great turnout - its always fun to watch the elite HS athletes (and sometimes, just the better coached teams without the super-athletes) going for the championships. I wouldn't love HS football every weekend, but definitely enjoy watching the elite among them.

Band went to the Tabor title game in 2008, obviously that wasn't difficult since it was 8 minutes away at BB&T.

Our school system had the same policy as what WakeGal speaks - small system out in the county. It depends to on the relationships at the school, and how the AD/Band dir. get along, as to whether or not who is paying for the band to come, (i.e. band boosters/budget or the school). TBH, I'm not exactly sure what monies are - I know that most HS seem to lose money on the playoffs - I think that a ton of the ticket revenue has to be given back to the NCHSAA and that the normal freebie passes that a school could give out at their own games are invalid. So your left with concessions and some expenses - you might break even but you might lose money in the playoffs, all of which would put a dent into the band budgets.

Ticket prices go up in the playoffs to offset this somewhat. But you are right, the NCHSAA makes money. Smaller schools lose money. It takes a minimum of around $1500 to put on a game with paying refs, game staff, ambulance, etc. Conference passes don't work in the playoffs. NCHSAA members get in, but that is about it.

Isn't this Richard Bailey's 2nd year at Scotland? I could well be wrong on that,but I thouht Chip Williams retired after the championship 2 years ago.
I'm a Fighting Scot alumni; plan to be there Saturday. The Scotland program has had a pretty good pipeline to NCSU for a number of years; would love to see a few end up in the black & gold in the future.

Chip Williams was the Scotland coach? The same Chip Williams that coached at JH Rose when I was in high school (and later New Bern)?

Isn't this Richard Bailey's 2nd year at Scotland? I could well be wrong on that,but I thouht Chip Williams retired after the championship 2 years ago.
I'm a Fighting Scot alumni; plan to be there Saturday. The Scotland program has had a pretty good pipeline to NCSU for a number of years; would love to see a few end up in the black & gold in the future.

I'm also a Fighting Scot alum (98)...curious how many others there are out there. Wake has done pretty well out of the LBG...Jamie Deese, Kevin Smith, and my old man are all LHS/SHS to Wake alums...

I'm a fighting scot alum '77. Who's your old man?

Having said all that, I hope that all the bands would come to support their team. Unless you are Independence HS in the early 2000s, don't count on making the playoffs/state championships every year and you should (if you can, that is) go and enjoy it. I hope even though we are hosting the smaller schools that we have a great turnout - its always fun to watch the elite HS athletes (and sometimes, just the better coached teams without the super-athletes) going for the championships. I wouldn't love HS football every weekend, but definitely enjoy watching the elite among them.

I came from a country high school that produced several state champion teams each year. Many were back to back. That school had no trouble financially, however it was an odd situation where the whole community was there for athletic events. I always say it was like Texas football in many ways but it including numerous sports. You would see anyone from birth to elderly as old as 90s at the games. Other schools in the county, some of which regularly go to state championships as well, struggle. It's interesting to compare the support between the schools.

He's deacondad68 on the "other" boards...I don't think he posts here. Was a 1964 LHS grad and 68 WF grad. He's back in Scotland county now after retiring from the army in 94.

If he played football, good chance his coach was Buck Knotts and the QB was Harry Covington (main thing I remember about Harry was that he drop-kicked extra points). David Stone and David McGill may have been around then as well.
Good to see the Fightin' Scots out from under Richmond Co's shadow and giving the county something to feel good about. Things have been tough down that way for a while.

He's deacondad68 on the "other" boards.irk..I don't think he posts here. Was a 1964 LHS grad and 68 WF grad. He's back in Scotland county now after retiring from the army in 94.
PJ to this AdamsDeac. Your dad is one of our all time best friends and the sage of Mason's Xroads. SHS '73 here. My sister was the first SHS grad in '68 (it's good to have a last name beginning with "A").

PJ to this AdamsDeac. Your dad is one of our all time best friends and the sage of Mason's Xroads. SHS '73 here. My sister was the first SHS grad in '68 (it's good to have a last name beginning with "A").

I'll have to see if I can get him on over here. He's going to the game tomorrow with the mayor of Laurinburg...wish I could go support the Scots, but that's a decent drive from Savannah...

I'll have to see if I can get him on over here. He's going to the game tomorrow with the mayor of Laurinburg...wish I could go support the Scots, but that's a decent drive from Savannah...

You're in Savannah? I was there a few weeks ago for the marathon!

By George, I drove thru Mason's Crossroads last weekend!
Best of luck to the Fighting Scots today.

Dudley prevails 24-7 over my Fighting Scots...15-1. Still a great season.

GO SCOTS!

Doubt it would have made a difference in who won but the field was basically a swamp. I watched some of the 1AA game from BB&T and the field turf looked great as always, particulalry on a day like today.

Back