• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC sued over voter ID laws

Though I'm glad to see the feds are fighting this, I don't know how far they'll get given recent events.

Though I'm glad to see the feds are fighting this, I don't know how far they'll get given recent events.

Hopefully this Administration will draw a redline against the ID requirement, b/c I'd really like to see that come to fruition.

Interesting that legislature passed that statute allowing themselves and other state officials to hire at our expense outside lawyers to represent them. They must have sensed that some of their changes were controversial and did not trust the AG since he is a Dem. I understand that the lawyer that McCrory hired charges 360.00 an hour. Wonder what he will bill us for in total.

Interesting that legislature passed that statute allowing themselves and other state officials to hire at our expense outside lawyers to represent them. They must have sensed that some of their changes were controversial and did not trust the AG since he is a Dem. I understand that the lawyer that McCrory hired charges 360.00 an hour. Wonder what he will bill us for in total.

and he's from South Carolina, buy local my ass

That article is just idiotic.

"The State Board of Elections identified more than 300,000 registered voters who do not have driver’s licenses. The reason is simple: many of these people don’t drive. Many are very poor or infirm. And, of these registered voters without driver’s licenses, racial minorities comprise a sizable, non-proportional percentage."

So let me get this straight. The concerned people either don't drive or otherwise can't get to the place to get an ID due to physical condition or finances. So how the hell were they getting to the polls to need an ID anyway? The Voter ID requirement only applies to in-person voting and does not apply to absentee ballots (and actually makes it easier to vote absentee), which the concerned people would seemingly be submitting anyway because their main allegation is that they don't drive or can't leave the house.

public transportation? driven by friends/family?

its really not that hard to figure out how folks without licenses would go to the polls once every 4 years.

So why does that same mode of transportion not allow for them to go get an ID once in their entire life?

That article is just idiotic.

"The State Board of Elections identified more than 300,000 registered voters who do not have driver’s licenses. The reason is simple: many of these people don’t drive. Many are very poor or infirm. And, of these registered voters without driver’s licenses, racial minorities comprise a sizable, non-proportional percentage."

So let me get this straight. The concerned people either don't drive or otherwise can't get to the place to get an ID due to physical condition or finances. So how the hell were they getting to the polls to need an ID anyway? The Voter ID requirement only applies to in-person voting and does not apply to absentee ballots (and actually makes it easier to vote absentee), which the concerned people would seemingly be submitting anyway because their main allegation is that they don't drive or can't leave the house.

What this is is proof the Republicans have succeeded in making people think voter ID is the central cause of why anyone is upset with the law instead of the laundry list of other outrageous nonsense.

What this is is proof the Republicans have succeeded in making people think voter ID is the central cause of why anyone is upset with the law instead of the laundry list of other outrageous nonsense.

So you're saying the WSJ Editorial Board was duped?

So why does that same mode of transportion not allow for them to go get an ID once in their entire life?

Just checked. The nearest bus stop to the NCDMV on Brookshire Blvd is 0.9 miles away. The Arrowood DMV is 0.2 miles from Arrowood Station on the light rail. Of course this assumes you can get to a bus stop or light rail stop.

ID's expire.

And there is NO PROBLEM to fix!

This is like putting a stop light on a country road (that has three people per hour on it) at a location without a cross street and stationing three cops cars there 24/7/365 to make sure nobody runs the light.

How does anybody know there is no problem if there are no measures in place to track or stop it? That is like a store that doesn't count its inventory or have any security conclusively stating that it doesn't have a theft problem.

Just checked. The nearest bus stop to the NCDMV on Brookshire Blvd is 0.9 miles away. The Arrowood DMV is 0.2 miles from Arrowood Station on the light rail. Of course this assumes you can get to a bus stop or light rail stop.

How far is the average person from their mailbox?

How does anybody know there is no problem if there are no measures in place to track or stop it? That is like a store that doesn't count its inventory or have any security conclusively stating that it doesn't have a theft problem.

Nobody has been charged and there are no stories of Mary going to vote and being told she had already voted.

W's DOJ said there was no problem.

These laws are intentionally classist, ageist and racist efforts to suppress the vote. That's their purpose. If you had any integrity you'd admit the obvious.

How do you know that there aren't aliens living among us that look and act like humans unless you put alien scanners everywhere and have a MIB task force ready to apprehend all non-humans?

The fraud argument is so weak, tired, and intellectually lazy. In 2008, the President had a close election (in NC) with Senator McCain. He won by 13,962 votes. What are the chances that either party could manufacture 14,000 fraudulent, in-person, votes? In 2012, NC-7 was the most closely contested race in the state- Rep. McIntyre won by only 657 votes. Do you really think any group could figure out a way to have 600 (or for that matter, 100 or 200) people go to the polls, pretend to be other voters, and not get caught at all? Really? And if so, none of these crooks would ever get caught for another crime and offer up this fraud as a way to get immunity?

Its fucking asinine. And it tends to make me think the folks pushing for it have less than pure motives. Because otherwise, small government conservatives wouldn't want to unnecessarily spend taxpayer money, would they?

Back