• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA announces punishment for UNC at 3 pm

I'm hearing 1 year bowl ban and loss of 20 scholarships over 4 years. Plus, the fine and probation terms the cheats proposed. Honestly, it is more than I thought they would get, so I'm pleased.
I'm assuming this means 5 scholarships a year for 4 years...

Curious timing for this announcement. Are they hoping the media hoopla surrounding the NCAA basketball tournament will make this page 2 sports news around the country?

Curious timing for this announcement. Are they hoping the media hoopla surrounding the NCAA basketball tournament will make this page 2 sports news around the country?

Yeah, I think that is one reason for the timing. I believe they had the report ready late last week, but didn't want to draw attention away from conference tournaments and selection show.

@CharlesRobinson: My thoughts on UNC football penalties? My guess is it will come around what Ohio State received. Maybe slightly worse.

I'm hearing 1 year bowl ban and loss of 20 scholarships over 4 years. Plus, the fine and probation terms the cheats proposed. Honestly, it is more than I thought they would get, so I'm pleased.

If this is true ... I made a bet like 18 months ago with someone on the old board that UNC would get at least a 1-year bowl ban. I think I make another $50 ...

I don't know why people think UNC will get off because they are a "cash cow". Best case scenario, UNC is the 4th most important program in their own conference. They are also plainly behind 4 Big Ten programs (Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Penn State), 2 Pac 12 programs (USC, Oregon), 6 SEC programs (Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina), and 2 Big 12 programs (Texas and Oklahoma).

Yes, UNC is very important when it comes to basketball (perhaps the most important program in the country, only see two others even in the running), but, from the NCAA's perspective, if they receive a lax punishment it isn't because they don't want to hurt mighty UNC, it's because they don't think UNC is worth using to send a message.

Also, recall that 98% of the NCAA's funding is from March Madness.

If a team loses 5 scholarships a year does that mean: a) They can only bring in 20 players each year or b) They can bring in the full 25 but not offer above 80 scholarships each year or c) they're limited to both 20 and 80.

My understanding has always been that it's B, but let me know if that's wrong.

Pack Priders want 2 year bowl ban and feel the OSU punishment would be too lax on UNC. This is not surprising, but unrealistic, IMO. 2 year bowl ban would so sweet though.

I don't know why people think UNC will get off because they are a "cash cow". Best case scenario, UNC is the 4th most important program in their own conference. They are also plainly behind 4 Big Ten programs (Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Penn State), 2 Pac 12 programs (USC, Oregon), 6 SEC programs (Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina), and 2 Big 12 programs (Texas and Oklahoma).

Yes, UNC is very important when it comes to basketball (perhaps the most important program in the country, only see two others even in the running), but, from the NCAA's perspective, if they receive a lax punishment it isn't because they don't want to hurt mighty UNC, it's because they don't think UNC is worth using to send a message.

I don't think South Carolina is plainly above North Carolina. South Carolina is traditionally a terrible program. They're historically a mirror image of NC State.

HOF Lou Holtz ended up with a career losing record there. Once Spurrirer retires, I expect South Carolina to get back to being....South Carolina.

I would replace them on your list with Auburn. I would also say Carolina is the fifth most important program in the ACC...behind FSU, Clemson, VT and Miami.

Pack Priders want 2 year bowl ban and feel the OSU punishment would be too lax on UNC. This is not surprising, but unrealistic, IMO. 2 year bowl ban would so sweet though.

Pack Priders also feel that UNC should get the death penalty.

Seriously.

Few months ago there was a thread on there that said Butch Davis' football program at UNC is even dirtier than SMU back in the '80s.

Whether they get on year or two, it's made worse by the fact that they went to Shreveport on December 26, 2011. That's like an extra year's punishment.

I don't think South Carolina is plainly above North Carolina. South Carolina is traditionally a terrible program. They're historically a mirror image of NC State.

HOF Lou Holtz ended up with a career losing record there. Once Spurrirer retires, I expect South Carolina to get back to being....South Carolina.

I would replace them on your list with Auburn. I would also say Carolina is the fifth most important program in the ACC...behind FSU, Clemson, VT and Miami.

Eh, I put them on there because they have a very large fanbase. I'd think larger than Auburn's, but maybe not. Regardless, it's all kinda of beside the point which is that they aren't very important in the scheme of college football.

Eh, I put them on there because they have a very large fanbase. I'd think larger than Auburn's, but maybe not. Regardless, it's all kinda of beside the point which is that they aren't very important in the scheme of college football.

I'd put UNC-CH football at least two rungs below Auburn. UNC-CH football has no caché nationally. NONE. And you left Texas A&M off your list.

I'll lol pretty hard if they get a multiple year bowl ban after telling every recruit for the last 2 years that that wasn't on the table. But still, it's unc and i'm sure they'll weasel their way into a slap on the wrist.

rooting hard for this:
1233.jpg

I'd put UNC-CH football at least two rungs below Auburn. UNC-CH football has no caché nationally. NONE. And you left Texas A&M off your list.

This. Don't understand why people think UNC has some legendary program.

there's also a school called Notre Dame that has a pretty good football following.........maybe even moreso than UNC

Back