• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread - One Shining Moment - UConn Huskies

By older folks if you mean people on their 30-40s? Yes. Plenty of people bring up Tobacco Road to me and all the very out of state Duke, State and Carolina fans I know from work always bring up how Wake is doing. For someone who has apparently lived in NC for most or all of your life, it’s interesting you think you’re an expert on how we’re perceived nationally.
Never claimed I was an expert. My point is Duke, State and UNC winning championships doesn’t make Wake relevant. Wake becomes relevant if they have winning seasons. UNC and Duke were great during the Manning/Bz years. How’d that help Wake’s attendance at the Joel or media coverage? Other than when playing those schools the Joel had mostly blue fans in attendance.

Thinking State’s ACCT and S16 run gives Wake publicity just doesn’t make any sense

I’m fucking tired of what happens in November being all that matters until March. Yeah, yeah we lost a few games at the end we shouldn’t have but if the conference was viewed as better all season that wouldn’t have mattered nearly as much. Just some tough ACC games.

Get rid of all the analytics and equations. Go back to the old way where the committee was locked in a room for 4 days with empty pizza boxes piled up, where they did the eyeball test. Sure 1-3 teams might complain that they didn’t get in, but it gets rid of my NET was better than your KenPom, Lunardi has spoken so it is God’s truth, etc.

There’s no way. With everyone and their grandma making brackets after Christmas or earlier, the committee will do the same.

I'm sure there is some version of Creighton's DR pining incessantly on their board about the Bluejays arena being too large for them (spoiler...there's not), but it hasn't seemed to hold them back for the last 25 years.

Creighton went out and hired Wake’s old director of sports marketing.

There’s no way. With everyone and their grandma making brackets after Christmas or earlier, the committee will do the same.

That almost sounds like a DR or RJ response. I get it that the committee is lazy these days and would rather push a button and poof here’s what the answer is for the teams. That’s BS. These guys are making shit tons and are pretending to go into a room to discuss the seedings, when in reality it’s tea and crumpets time for them. How hard is it to actually make a work effort when it’s your job for a few days out of the year?

I don't see how metrics are the problem, at least for WF this season. If the metrics meant more, we'd be in the tournament. St. John's had better metrics than us and got left out. We don't know how the committee is considering metrics at all, which may be my biggest criticism. Virginia had bad metrics and got in. There is still a lot of horse trading and such.

Teams like ND, GT, FSU being awful in the occ and then being competitive in the conference slate is absolutely killing us. Louisville being a joke is hurting us.

We need more ACC teams to be like Clemson - good in occ, meh in conference = perceived strength. Part of that is scheduling, and part of that is winning the freaking games. LSU and Georgia were not that great this season, and we lost to both of them. Utah is decent, and we lost that, too.

We are going to have at least five or six Q1/Q2 games before the ACC season starts next year based on what Forbes said recently. We can't win one or two of those or we are again looking at needing 13-15 ACC wins to have a real shot. There is nothing we can do to avoid that, those games are that important and we need the rest of the ACC teams to not lose to the Citadel.

Forbes has been terrible in neutral-site games, that is something that has to be better next year or we are looking for a new coach.

Dan Bonner has stumbled over Osobor's name a half dozen times in the first two minutes of this game.

Christ, the MWC is even making Purdue get beyond their usual bed shitting.

Absolutely unacceptable to have only one game on now and of course it’s a blowout.

Absolutely unacceptable to have only game on now and of course it’s a blowout.

It never makes sense. They act like watching sports on Saturday and Sunday afternoons is bad for ratings.

By older folks if you mean people on their 30-40s? Yes. Plenty of people bring up Tobacco Road to me and all the very out of state Duke, State and Carolina fans I know from work always bring up how Wake is doing. For someone who has apparently lived in NC for most or all of your life, it’s interesting you think you’re an expert on how we’re perceived nationally.
Right

I think both can be true at same time. I think most current working adults can remember times when Wake was good at basketball

The bigger issue is we are rapidly approaching a generation of kids/adults who have never seen Wake have any success. And it’s a cycle that is hard to break. It affects recruits and enrollment, which in turn makes it harder to win, which makes it harder to recruit

Whatever occasional soft spot I get for NC State making a run does not apply to Duke or UNC. That said, if SDSU loses tonight, I might bring up the fact that the MWC is completely gone before the ACC lost a game in the tournament (Dayton doesn't count).

Back