• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Thread

To elaborate a little, Villanova has a much more stable coaching history. Four coaches since 1961: John (Jack) Kraft, 12 years; Rollie Massimino, 19 years, one national title; Steve Lapas, 9 years; Jay Wright, 17 years (and counting), 2 National Titles.

Villanova had over 2 dozen NCAA tournament appearances and 12 NIT appearances before 2000. They are now 9th on the list of all time NCAA tournament appearances.

So other than coaching stability, tournament appearances and National titles, just like Wake.

after the 2004 season, Villanova had 11 Sweet 16 appearances*, 9 Elite 8s*, 2 Final Fours*, 3 conference tournament championships, and 2 regular season conference championships

*excludes one appearance they had to vacate; note the other Final 4 in addition to 1985 was in 1939 (they won one game to get there)

putting those numbers in easy to read form: 11, 9, 2, 3, 2
at the same time the corresponding WF numbers were 9, 6, 1, 5, and 5

so, 14 years ago the tally was pretty close

now Jay Wright has won as many NCAA non-consolation games as WFU has won in its history

Thanks thatguy for not ignoring the most important part of my post.

To elaborate a little, Villanova has a much more stable coaching history. Four coaches since 1961: John (Jack) Kraft, 12 years; Rollie Massimino, 19 years, one national title; Steve Lapas, 9 years; Jay Wright, 17 years (and counting), 2 National Titles.

Villanova had over 2 dozen NCAA tournament appearances and 12 NIT appearances before 2000. They are now 9th on the list of all time NCAA tournament appearances.

So other than coaching stability, tournament appearances and National titles, just like Wake.
Who's doing the revisionist history? Why are you including Nova's accomplishments since Wright has been there when Ph was specifically talking about where the programs stood 15 years ago?

It's also revisionist to say people brought up Jay Wright when we hired Skip. It was when Skip died and then again when we fired Dino. Wright is and always will be a Philly guy. When we fired Dino, Wright had turned down KY and the Sixers.

At this point, maybe Wright would consider the Sixers, but I'm not even sure he'd say yes if the job was open.

Last edited:
Bkf wasn't the only one who thought Tacy got a raw deal. He was the only one to go over the edge for it, though.

FWIW, WF replaced Tacy with Bob Staak, who had been the coach for.... Xavier. Yes, Xavier. Staak was the first coach to take Xavier to the NCAAs. At Xavier, Staak was followed Pete Gillen, then Skip, then Matta, then Sean Miller, then Chris Mack. Pretty good roster of coaches after Staak. BTW, Staak is currently on the Miami Heat payroll as a scout. Staak is now 70.

More revisionist history or bad memory. Villanova won the national title in 1985, over 30 years ago.

Wake was busy firing their second winningest coach at the time.
Murray Gleason and bones?

FWIW, WF replaced Tacy with Bob Staak, who had been the coach for.... Xavier. Yes, Xavier. Staak was the first coach to take Xavier to the NCAAs. At Xavier, Staak was followed Pete Gillen, then Skip, then Matta, then Sean Miller, then Chris Mack. Pretty good roster of coaches after Staak. BTW, Staak is currently on the Miami Heat payroll as a scout. Staak is now 70.

WF tried to get Gary Williams but couldn't pry him away from Boston College (although tOSU could, a year or so later)

WF played BC in late 1985 and some students carried a big sign saying "Williams didn't Staak up" around the empty barn; good times

Tacy got out right before the bottom fell out.

Not to mention he was one hell of a philanderer and swiller of booze!

Staak left GDO with a full cupboard and great inroads for Rodney and Chill.

Tacy got out right before the bottom fell out.

Totally agree. Tacy had some strong seasons at WF, but he had lost his recruiting mojo; there was a reason he never coached again after WF.

Arthur Larkins
Mike Scott
Paul Diebert
"Hot" Rod Watson
Cal Boyd (only because Tulane got the death penalty)
Clay Dade

Believe it or not, prospectively that was a good recruiting class. I remember The Sporting News including them in their article about best recruiting classes. They were mentioned near the end of the article so I'm guessing we're talking somewhere in the 15-20 range.

I'd love to be able to provide a link, just for my own assurance that I didn't Mandela Effect this, but TSN archives cost a fee I'm not going to pay.

Stuff Villanova had on their resume pre 2000 is part of where they were 15 years ago.

Back