• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAT discussion (the end)

Should be a good game between the top 2 defensive teams. May not be high scoring, but its fun to watch teams that are coached to play basketball the right way on both ends of the floor.

Ty Jerome’s 4th foul was virtually the exact same foul as Doughtys game ending foul. Jerome contested a mid range shot, made no contact above the waist and went to the bench with 5:03 to go and a 10 point game. It was called 5 mins earlier and should’ve been called at the end, as it was.

Still don’t think a foul should have been called. Even if it was a foul based on the “letter of the rules”, it shouldn’t have been called. Based on the definition of a foul, there were dozens (hundreds?!) of times the refs swallowed their whistles on what could have technically been fouls throughout the game.. Fouls, by nature, are incredibly subjective and shouldn’t decide a game in the final seconds.

Guy easily got the shot off, landed fine, and didn’t even fall down (like every shooter does when they think they’ve been fouled). Bad call.

Still think the ref was making an anticipatory call or are you backing off that one?

That's as bad as the Bluegrass Miracle when LSU beat Kentucky on the hail mary throw. The victory fireworks went off as the ball was in the air and the students were in the end zone behind the play and rushed the field thinking UK had won.

Still don’t think a foul should have been called. Even if it was a foul based on the “letter of the rules”, it shouldn’t have been called. Based on the definition of a foul, there were dozens (hundreds?!) of times the refs swallowed their whistles on what could have technically been fouls throughout the game.. Fouls, by nature, are incredibly subjective and shouldn’t decide a game in the final seconds.

Guy easily got the shot off, landed fine, and didn’t even fall down (like every shooter does when they think they’ve been fouled). Bad call.

What? Even if it’s a foul, it shouldn’t be called? That makes 0 sense. And those still shots show it.

I’m done arguing. Fouls are judgement calls by officials. In my judgement, it shouldn’t have been called, especially not to decide the outcome of the game. Pretty simple.

I’ll eat crow on the official raising his arm to call the foul early though. When my dad texted me about it I saw the arm go up and didn’t realize he was signaling 3. Although, we’ve all seen countless situations where officials anticipate a foul occurring and make the the call regardless of the amount of contact. Unsure if this was one of those times.

Women’s tournament is heating up down the stretch. Nice back and forth game after ND came back.

I’m with Tiger here. Fouls are subjective calls. Refs could have called an intentional foul of UVA when they fouled with 7-8 secs to go. It technically fulfilled the definition of an intentional foul.

But of course you would never do that and decide a game with a whistle.

I don’t like Pearl as a man or a coach, but Auburn deserves that win. Basketball injustice that they did not advance.

This premise that all fouls are subjective is pretty ridiculous. Hack a
guy across the arm on a shot is not subjective

This premise that all fouls are subjective is pretty ridiculous. Hack a
guy across the arm on a shot is not subjective

The subjective part is which of the many fouls committed during a game are seen and called by the refs. It is fouls that are committed but not called that give the offending team an advantage.

I’m done arguing. Fouls are judgement calls by officials. In my judgement, it shouldn’t have been called, especially not to decide the outcome of the game. Pretty simple.

I’ll eat crow on the official raising his arm to call the foul early though. When my dad texted me about it I saw the arm go up and didn’t realize he was signaling 3. Although, we’ve all seen countless situations where officials anticipate a foul occurring and make the the call regardless of the amount of contact. Unsure if this was one of those times.

Wait are you eating crow or aren’t you

Pretty funny to see big games in which losing teams haven’t fouled enough to put the other team on the line. Happened to ND last night.

Yeh, it's funny how muggings go uncalled for 19 minutes, but when the refs realize that a team needs to foul to have the opponent shoot 1 and 1, the slightest touch brings an immediate whistle.

didn't the ncaa get rid of intentional fouls awhile ago? i thought it had to be a flagrant to be called anything other than a common foul, and i don't see anything about being intentional or not in the ncaa's definition of flagrant.

Yeh, it's funny how muggings go uncalled for 19 minutes, but when the refs realize that a team needs to foul to have the opponent shoot 1 and 1, the slightest touch brings an immediate whistle.

There are no set rules in basketball anymore, they just make it up as they go. Its a sham.

Texas Tech has been the best team in the tournament. Not even close. After a nasty ankle injury, TT C Tariq Owens claims he is good to go tonight. He is a force inside defensively. If he plays effectively, seems like TT is the better team. Then again, UVA has yet to have a game when all of their studs (Hunter, Jerome and Guy) play their best. That's what it will take to beat a Red Raiders team that just swept through Michigan, Gonzaga and Michigan State by an average score of 66-55.

Back