• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAT discussion (the end)

Find it funny how many folks like to talk about how the foul shouldn't have been called, but no one is calling Doughty out for an absolute horrendous play. You CANNOT jump towards a shooter the way he did and not think you aren't going to get called if you bump the shooter. Sure jump out in front of him to distract him or just let him shoot it and see what happens, but just a horrible decision to try and jump into the shooter. Clearly he hits him in the legs as well as jumps into his space so he can't come down. As a jump shooter that has a significant impact on your shot and has to be called.

Again you can't do a boneheaded play like that and complain one iota if a foul is called. Just play basic fundamental D and be safe and let the chips fall where they may.

Find it funny how many folks like to talk about how the foul shouldn't have been called, but no one is calling Doughty out for an absolute horrendous play. You CANNOT jump towards a shooter the way he did and not think you aren't going to get called if you bump the shooter. Sure jump out in front of him to distract him or just let him shoot it and see what happens, but just a horrible decision to try and jump into the shooter. Clearly he hits him in the legs as well as jumps into his space so he can't come down. As a jump shooter that has a significant impact on your shot and has to be called.

Again you can't do a boneheaded play like that and complain one iota if a foul is called. Just play basic fundamental D and be safe and let the chips fall where they may.

Just let probably the best 3 point shooter in college basketball shoot a wide open shot to win the game? That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

I think Guy hits the shot if he doesn't get hit -- ball was on line and came up a leg-bump short of going in

I'll set it at 40% 3PFG% for UVA -- win if they go over, lost if they don't

Nor have many spoken about how poorly Pearl coach the last 10 seconds. When Auburn went up 4 with 7.4 seconds to go, that's when he should have used the fouls. Even if they only took a total of two seconds, by the time that corner three went in, there would have been less than three seconds left. Further, why weren't they covering the three point line?

I would not be surprised if this is the lowest rated NC game in a long while. Neither team has a real national following nor are their Cinderellas that have caught the fans' imagination. Add to that, the fact that it will a really low scoring game and low viewership is likely.

I would not be surprised if this is the lowest rated NC game in a long while. Neither team has a real national following nor are their Cinderellas that have caught the fans' imagination. Add to that, the fact that it will a really low scoring game and low viewership is likely.

Unfathomable how two defensive slow pace teams made the finals... That's the kinda play that only works in the regular season amirite?

Unfathomable how two defensive slow pace teams made the finals... That's the kinda play that only works in the regular season amirite?

Playing a 16,9,12,3 and 5 helps anyone...but why think? You so very, very rarely do...

Just let probably the best 3 point shooter in college basketball shoot a wide open shot to win the game? That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

ITT there's no difference between contesting a shot and fouling a guy.

Find it funny how many folks like to talk about how the foul shouldn't have been called, but no one is calling Doughty out for an absolute horrendous play. You CANNOT jump towards a shooter the way he did and not think you aren't going to get called if you bump the shooter.

Amen bruh, though TBF I kinda mentioned it. ESPECIALLY when your team has DONE THE SAME EXACT DAMN THING earlier in this tournament up 2 with an opponent taking a 3 with seconds left. Play with fire and you gon get burnnned

Playing a 16,9,12,3 and 5 helps anyone...but why think? You so very, very rarely do...

What about Texas Tech's 14/6/2/1/2? That a strong enough set of teams? Or are we still dismissing the notion that this type of play can be successful in the long run.....

I mean after a couple more deep runs in the tournament under Bennett, UVA will cast aside the RJ "they can't succeed in the postseason" tripe.

They will return almost everyone next year and be preseason top three. UVA is set.

30 teams in the bottom 100 of tempo made the NCAAT this year compared to only 17 in the top 100 of tempo.

The game is changing.

I mean after a couple more deep runs in the tournament under Bennett, UVA will cast aside the RJ "they can't succeed in the postseason" tripe.

They will return almost everyone next year and be preseason top three. UVA is set.

It's tripe because it proved true SIX times but din't once...WOW, for someone who allegedly uses results tyhat's not good odds.

What's clearly tripe is that the hot hand doesn't exist...

30 teams in the bottom 100 of tempo made the NCAAT this year compared to only 17 in the top 100 of tempo.

The game is changing.

Is it though? Feel free to bring evidence to the contrary but I don't think that's that rare.

I actually think playing slow and methodical helps in the tourney versus playing out of control. Even Auburn played at a much slower pace than they have in past seasons.

Though perhaps it helps the top teams less because it may make you more vulnerable to upsets if you're the favorite

It's tripe because it proved true SIX times but din't once...WOW, for someone who allegedly uses results tyhat's not good odds.

What's clearly tripe is that the hot hand doesn't exist...

If they win the title this year, then one NCAAT in seven tries are great odds for any given coach. Coach K has five titles in 40 years at Duke.

Is it though? Feel free to bring evidence to the contrary but I don't think that's that rare.

I actually think playing slow and methodical helps in the tourney versus playing out of control. Even Auburn played at a much slower pace than they have in past seasons.

Though perhaps it helps the top teams less because it may make you more vulnerable to upsets if you're the favorite

I'll have to take a look at the past few years to see if this is a newer trend or not. Last year 21 teams were top 100 in tempo compared to just 15 in the bottom 100. May need to control for auto bids as well in some capacity but I'll think about the impact that would have.

Tony Bennett's record over the last two years is now 65-6. It's obvious his system works in all situations.

If they win the title this year, then one NCAAT in seven tries are great odds for any given coach. Coach K has five titles in 40 years at Duke.

That's not the same at all. Bennett has lost to four lower seeded teams and got blown out twice by marginally higher seeded teams. I'm sure K's record is not that.

You are acting like this year was the same as UNLV running to the championship. It's arguable that almost no team has made it to the NC game with an easier draw.

My bad ONE result overturns SIX in your world.

I like the guy, but I still haven't seen your "proof" that having fewer possessions doesn't make you have to play more perfectly and have less margin of error.

I'm not acting like anything. I'm pointing out that UVA is playing for a national championship tonight.

Since 2002, Coach K has lost 8 times as a one or two seed before the Elite Eight in 18 appearances (meaning that Duke had to have been the better seed in the game they lost). That means even Coach K has been upset by a worse seed before the quarterfinals in 44% of the last 18 appearances.

And I don't know how many more times I can point out to you that I've never, ever, ever made the argument you keep putting in my mouth in the last paragraph.

As an aside, Tony Bennett has as many wins in the last two seasons as Danny Manning has total in his five years at Wake (65).

Back