• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Neighbor building a fence in my yard

pretty impressive that lawyers can ever ruin this golden thread.

I am very much looking forward to TAB's retort....

Personally, I'm kinda hoping he does more math. The fact that he thought that a fence that was three feet offline would result in losing a total of three square feet of yard was fun.

TAB's solution: let your dickhole neighbor run all over you because you can just pay me to fix it with paperwork later.

Thought his solution was just the opposite of that. Confront your neighbor and handle the problem without getting the legal system involved.

Thought his solution was just the opposite of that. Confront your neighbor and handle the problem without getting the legal system involved.

He said it wasn't worth going to court over, which I agree with. There should be no need to go to court because the homeowner should never let the fence be built in his yard in the first place. TAB's general gist has been it doesn't really matter if the fence gets built there because a little bit of paperwork will fix it when it comes time to sell your house. His solution is legal paperwork, as I stated, not court. It's more wussy than handing your neighbor a gift...at least you're confronting your neighbor when you hand him the gift rather than just letting him built the fence in your yard and dealing with it legally later when you sell your house.

A number of simple docs can remedy the problem with little time and effort, if you have a non-redbird atty. (a PHD or MD will not help you in this area).

Again, not really. In my early 20s I closed probably around 1000 or so residential home sales and refis. I'd say more than half of fences are off the exact property line by a few inches in some places. It's really not that big of a deal. It might be set up as an exception on the title policy, but again, not that big of a deal.

The number of people who are willing to argue about these things are few and far between in real life (although the percentage of these people may be higher in the internet message board warrior demo). If it rises to a few feet over a long fence line then a boundary line agreement or property swap agreement can be easily drafted. Take $500 out of the sales proceeds to placate Mr. Get Off My Lawn Middle Class Tough Guy. A competent atty who understands the problem can explain it to the parties and usually diffuse these suburban hubbubs easliy.

It's more wussy than handing your neighbor a gift...at least you're confronting your neighbor when you hand him the gift.....

Love this picture of Gov. McCrory handing a protester a plate of cookies yesterday. She's like "WTF?".
1bgTI7.Em.138.jpg

He said it wasn't worth going to court over, which I agree with. There should be no need to go to court because the homeowner should never let the fence be built in his yard in the first place. TAB's general gist has been it doesn't really matter if the fence gets built there because a little bit of paperwork will fix it when it comes time to sell your house. His solution is legal paperwork, as I stated, not court. It's more wussy than handing your neighbor a gift...at least you're confronting your neighbor when you hand him the gift rather than just letting him built the fence in your yard and dealing with it legally later when you sell your house.

Jesus. Wrongo Dongo again. The only reason I mentioned that it would be easy to fix via paperwork is because you and 94 said it would be a huge issue when it comes time to sell, which it simply isn't. You also stated that you are getting your info from complaints by residential real estate agents, who might be the dumbest class of people on planet earth. All they do is complain and play the blame game until someone with the wherewithal to fix a problem steps up and does it.

At least we have QC as evidence of someone who can read. My point all along was that unless hommie fences off your entire back yard, its not likely worth going to court. Handle it like a man, stop consulting your wife, offering movie tickets and having circular conversations on the dudes porch where he tells you to fuck off and you oblige.

The average house price in Mayretta is probably around $225K if I had to guess. Maybe lower. Let me do some mental hand holding for ya.

An acre of land is 43500 sq ft. Lets say OP's grandiose unfenced surburban palace is on a half acre, so 21750 square feet. Lets forget that he has no idea whether the stakes were actually moved, and cant read a survey himself, but he thinks they were moved 2 feet over a 40 foot line, so 80 square feet.

$225K for a half acre lot comes to an avg square foot price of around $10 (That of course is an average sq ft price; the improved square footage of said palace would be calculated at a much higher rate as the unimproved, unfenced backyard, so its not a perfect number), your grand loss here is around $825.00. For the sake of argument lets double that for $1700 worth of damage. Any decent attorney would likely charge you at least $2500.00 to draft a temporary injunction and make at least 2 appearances. (seeing as how movie tickets aren't persuasive in court, I am guessing homes should have counsel).

Now lets offset that with the mitigating fact that you now have a giant prefab fence separating you from said dickbag. Now you dont have to look at his face when you are enjoying your above ground pool in August. Its just not that big of a deal.

Last edited:
I remember when TAB was a funny off-beat profane poster.

Jesus. Wrongo Dongo again. The only reason I mentioned that it would be easy to fix via paperwork is because you and 94 said it would be a huge issue when it comes time to sell, which it simply isn't. You also stated that you are getting your info from complaints by residential real estate agents, who might be the dumbest class of people on planet earth. All they do is complain and play the blame game until someone with the wherewithal to fix a problem steps up and does it.

At least we have QC as evidence of someone who can read. My point all along was that unless hommie fences off your entire back yard, its not likely worth going to court. Handle it like a man, stop consulting your wife, offering movie tickets and having circular conversations on the dudes porch where he tells you to fuck off and you oblige.

The average house price in Mayretta is probably around $225K if I had to guess. Maybe lower. Let me do some mental hand holding for ya.

An acre of land is 43500 sq ft. Lets say OP's grandiose unfenced surburban palace is on a half acre, so 21750 square feet. Lets forget that he has no idea whether the stakes were actually moved, and cant read a survey himself, but he thinks they were moved 2 feet over a 40 foot line, so 80 square feet.

$225K for a half acre lot comes to an avg square foot price of around $10 (That of course is an average sq ft price; the improved square footage of said palace would be calculated at a much higher rate as the unimproved, unfenced backyard, so its not a perfect number), your grand loss here is around $825.00. For the sake of argument lets double that for $1700 worth of damage. Any decent attorney would likely charge you at least $2500.00 to draft a temporary injunction and make at least 2 appearances. (seeing as how movie tickets aren't persuasive in court, I am guessing homes should have counsel).

Now lets offset that with the mitigating fact that you now have a giant prefab fence separating you from said dickbag. Now you dont have to look at his face when you are enjoying your above ground pool in August. Its just not that big of a deal.

You fucking blow.

You also stated that you are getting your info from complaints by residential real estate agents, who might be the dumbest class of people on planet earth. All they do is complain and play the blame game until someone with the wherewithal to fix a problem steps up and does it.

Yeah, well, fuck you too.

Oh for the love of God, would you get off your pretentious Inside the Perimeter high horse. You obviously haven't been out to Cobb County lately and seen the oodles of houses going well above $225k. I seriously doubt average house price is lower than $225k, and would guess it comes closer to $300k.

Back