• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nelson Mandela

Thanks avalon, let me know what you find.

And while you are at it, let us know what SA's stance on publicly funded sports stadiums is.

And while you are at it, let us know what SA's stance on publicly funded sports stadiums is.

South Africa spent $3 billion on 2010 World Cup
The expensive World Cup stadiums are still underused, however, and some are losing money. The Cape Town Stadium — reportedly the most expensive of the seven new venues at $600 million — is in the most trouble.
:p

Last edited:
Ha, yeah, I’m pretty sure bmoney was just making fun of me, but South Africa did spend a ton on the World Cup.

South Africa recoups just a tenth of the £3bn cost of staging World Cup 2010

Some of that money was supposed to be used to move people out of the townships and into real homes, but they kind of fell short on that goal:

Life in 'Tin Can Town' for the South Africans evicted ahead of World Cup

Andile Mngxitama, a political commentator and columnist, is about to publish a pamphlet entitled "Fuck the World Cup".

He said: "We never needed the World Cup. It is a jamboree by the politicians to focus attention away from the 16 years of democracy that have not delivered for the majority of black people in this country. We'll be trapped with white elephant stadiums."

He added: "The World Cup is not about football or so-called tourism. It's about politicians hoping it keeps us busy for a month and making enormous amounts of money for themselves and their friends."

Mngxitama is looking pretty prescient, based on BSF's post above.

Very much my point overall. His views were understandable given what he endured and yet he still didn't lead SA down a very rough and vengeful path. I would note, however, that there is clearly confiscation politics in SA. Not as ridiculously direct as I think you are alluding to. But it certainly exists. It's called Black Economic Empowerment. And it is corrupt. The notion of it is to help those who were oppressed get a chance for advancement. It does things like require multinationals operating subs in SA to hand over ownership of a portion of their business to Black controlled companies, put Blacks on their boards, employ so many Blacks in management, etc. It is enriching a very, very, very small portion of the black population - most of them tied to the ANC. It has done little to lift up the masses - which is the purported aim. It just enriches a very small sliver of the black elite in the country who have established a series of businesses that all the "white" or "multi-national" businesses look to partner with so as to meet the aims of that legal system. So in terms of addressing massive economic differences between rich and literally squalor poor, it does very, very little. It effectively just takes Euro wealth and hands it to the few native Africans who are already wealthy.

Yeah, I was referring to Mugabe style "land reform" which basically consisted of allowing and encouraging bands of black militants to forcibly expel whites from their homes. Since the whites were the ones who knew how to operate the commercial ag sector in Zimbabwe, the place went from a large food exporter to a starvation level economy in a matter of 2 years and has stayed that way for the past 5 years. SA obviously has some very deep problems but it could have been so much worse. It was on the verge of outright civil war before Mandela and De Klerk made peace and engineered a transition.

312z9c0.jpg

If you are black, yes.

Wait a minute. You need an ID to vote in South Africa? That T-Shirt has to be a farce. How ridiculous!!!!

I had no idea Nelson Mandela was such a strong advocate for voter suppression...

Wait a minute. You need an ID to vote in South Africa? That T-Shirt has to be a farce. How ridiculous!!!!

Haha.

Nelson Mandela: suppressing the vote since 1994.

But how are people in rural areas supposed to get an ID???!!!!!!!

Haha.

Nelson Mandela: suppressing the vote since 1994.

But how are people in rural areas supposed to get an ID???!!!!!!!

Mandela obviously hates it when minorities vote. There can be no other explanation for wanting a voter to have an i.d. Don't you guys know anything?

Nelson Mandela: Closet North Carolina Republican. It is written.

This thread was started about Nelson Mandela, but it quickly turned to an interesting discussion about one of the laws in South Africa, and how it demonstrated the corruption and possibly the incompetence that comes with a very young government.

Which seems like an odd place to put a lazy “South Africa has this law, so it must be OK!” troll-job.

Avalon and in a country where every single person already has free ID.

It's a nice way for Wrangor, DeacMan and others to justify supporting racially, class and aged based voter suppression. In multiple states people directly involved have openly stated its purpose is voter suppression.

That doesn't to the white guys here.

This thread was started about Nelson Mandela, but it quickly turned to an interesting discussion about one of the laws in South Africa, and how it demonstrated the corruption and possibly the incompetence that comes with a very young government.

Which seems like an odd place to put a lazy “South Africa has this law, so it must be OK!” troll-job.

For lazy trolls, there are no odd places.

It's a nice way for Wrangor, DeacMan and others to justify supporting racially, class and aged based voter suppression. In multiple states people directly involved have openly stated its purpose is voter suppression.

#LetRJAnnounceWhenVoterIDisSuppressionandwhenitisnot

Even I can't decipher what you're saying with this. It hurts the brain to read.

#ignoreanyresponseotherthanrjbecauseI'minsecureaboutmyselfandmyintellect

Are you seriously joining the debate on the fall-out of a T-shirt worn be a deceased individual? I thought we all recognized that RJ's sincere assumption of the implications of A T-SHIRT WORN BY A DEAD GUY is comedy enough. Please don't add to his pile of idiocy. Just step back and let the tire fire burn.

The merits of widely-available, secure voting speak for themselves, and are repeatedly affirmed in polling data both Statewide and nationally. You've lost that debate, sorry. Quite comfortable on the right side of a) reason, b) polling and c) common sense, but thanks. Your failure to recognize that you're pissing upwind certainly adds to the unintentional comedy, unless you actually, sincerely believe that the level of security we require at a liquor store = secret racism; which might even be more awesome.

jesusmotherfuckingchrist what is the point of solving a nonexistent voter fraud problem?

Take it up with my man Nelson. Clearly he does not share RJ's deplorable soft bigotry of low expectations for other people.

Last edited:
Back