• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Net Neutrality - thoughts?

"Net Neutrality" is Obamacare for the Internet; the Internet should not operate at the speed of government.

— Senator Ted Cruz (@SenTedCruz) November 10, 2014

oh no...

It's just unbelievable. Obama should have come out against it so that the GOP would have come out in favor, and then just reversed course after they announced they were for it. So, so, SO dangerous.

Ted Cruz is just amazingly entertaining.

Net Neutrality is one of those things that virtually everyone except BIG CABLE should favor. And yet Cruz will come out against it and millions of conservative geriatrics will make up their mind accordingly.

The funniest thing about that tweet is the assertion that Net Neutrality will slow down the internet for the consumer, when, y'know, that's precisely the thing Net Neutrality should prevent. But here we are.

I think Obama is still in good shape here, but he better not say "If you want your favorite website, you can keep it." If so, all bets are off.

The funniest thing about that tweet is the assertion that Net Neutrality will slow down the internet for the consumer, when, y'know, that's precisely the thing Net Neutrality should prevent. But here we are.

Hysterical if he's just dumb. Pretty gross if he's being intentionally misleading.

I think it's been posted before, but this seems like a good place for John Oliver's piece on Net Neutrality.

Depending on how Glen Beck comes down on the issue, my parents won't need to hear anything more about this than that "Obamacare of the Internet" line to form their opinions. Is Obamacare more ubiquitous than Watergate now?

Our government's hands-off approach and tolerance of cable monopolies over the internet has led to ... this (pretty cool website, worth a click). We have lower average internet speeds than Moldova, Romania, and Bulgaria.

I'm not so sure about this utility idea. Utility generally = legalized monopoly. Instead of using utility law to enforce net neutrality, what we really need is strong antitrust enforcement to bust up the giant cable companies and force them to allow "last mile" access to competing ISPs. That would create competition, bring prices down and quality up. Forward-thinking cities and towns should also be able to install their own internet infrastructure, if they so choose.

Instead you have BS like the recent Republican move in NC to make it illegal for municipalities to build out their own internet infrastructure, a bill bought and paid for by TWC. Ask RevDeac how he likes his municipal internet in Salisbury.

I had forgotten about the end of Oliver's piece in which he puts up the FCC website and encourages internet idiots to send them comments. I heard the FCC got over 4 million comments.

Ted Cruz is on the Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet.

The Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet has jurisdiction over legislation, Congressional action, and other matters relating to communications. For these purposes, “communications” includes telephones, cell phones, the Internet, commercial and noncommercial television, cable, satellite broadcast, satellite communications, wireline and wireless broadband, radio, consumer electronic equipment associated with such services, and public safety communications. The Subcommittee also is responsible for oversight of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) at the Department of Commerce, which is the administration primarily responsible for the management of government spectrum and advising the President on telecommunications policy.

Here are five House Members who are openly anti-science who are on the House Science and Technology Committee:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/5-anti-science-congressmen-on-the-house-science-committee/2/

My favorite comment in that article comes from MY Congressman Dana Rorabacher- "Most notably, Rohrabacher has claimed that “CO2 is irrelevant,” “polar bears are not becoming extinct,” and that “dinosaur flatulence” may have caused past climate changes."

http://science.house.gov/about/membership

What's scary is that the Top 5 list doesn't include ignorant yahoos like McCaul, Stockman and Weber.

Back