• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Athletic Director prospects...

Guess I have to add this every week when the same new thread repeats itself. Norwood Teague. And it ain't close.

Guess I have to add this every week when the same new thread repeats itself. Norwood Teague. And it ain't close.

Really? How many football coaches has Norwood Teague hired? Show proof that he can handle running a division 1 football program.

It's John Currie, a guy who LOVES Wake and has dealt with a BCS conference football team.

Really? How many football coaches has Norwood Teague hired? Show proof that he can handle running a division 1 football program.

It's John Currie, a guy who LOVES Wake and has dealt with a BCS conference football team.

He was asst AD at UNC, which does have a football program. While he's been at VCU, he's increased fundraising by about 50%. Their basketball success in the last 7 years has been unparalleled at VCU. Their non-revenue sports have also become more competitive. The dude has made good hires across the board. And he certainly doesn't need to make a football hire right away. And he could entice Shaka, something I don't think Ron can do.

He was asst AD at UNC, which does have a football program. While he's been at VCU, he's increased fundraising by about 50%. Their basketball success in the last 7 years has been unparalleled at VCU. Their non-revenue sports have also become more competitive. The dude has made good hires across the board. And he certainly doesn't need to make a football hire right away. And he could entice Shaka, something I don't think Ron can do.

UNC football has sucked pretty consistently and he wasn't even the head guy. Not enough. There's always something to improve when it comes to football, it is more than just the head coach.

Currie is pretty much the only option out there that we could hire who has experience leading a BCS football program. Wellman didn't have BCS football experience either and didn't lead the Illinois State Redbirds to much success in football.

Folks, the AD doesn't coach the teams. He hires the right people to coach the teams and markets the school. Teague has done both of these things extremely well. VCU athletics are better than they've ever been, and they're raking in more $$ than they ever have - in a lousy economy. A 50% increase in funding in a recession ain't nothing to sneeze at.

And I never said UNC has a great football program. Just that Teague was an asst at a school with a football program.

Oh I am with you.

Bring in someone from another school with football experience to be the associate AD, but I think Norwood would be a great leader for our AD should Wellman retire.

Oh I am with you.

Bring in someone from another school with football experience to be the associate AD, but I think Norwood would be a great leader for our AD should Wellman retire.

Retire?

Okay, I can see a nudging retirement. Kinda like George Welsh had here.

Folks, the AD doesn't coach the teams. He hires the right people to coach the teams and markets the school. Teague has done both of these things extremely well. VCU athletics are better than they've ever been, and they're raking in more $$ than they ever have - in a lousy economy. A 50% increase in funding in a recession ain't nothing to sneeze at.

And I never said UNC has a great football program. Just that Teague was an asst at a school with a football program.

You make a good case.

Last edited:
Once Hatch and/or the Trustees realize they need to essentially reboot the athletic program, I hope this guy is on the short list.

http://www.kstatesports.com/genrel/currie_john00.html

There is no question John Currie has hit the ground running and made a lasting impact in his first two years as Kansas State's Director of Athletics. From implementing a new communications plan the day he was being introduced as K-State's 15th Athletics Director on May 18, 2009, to consistently emphasizing the importance of transparency and accountability as well as the student-athlete and fan experience, Currie has laid a solid foundation for K-State achieving its vision of a model intercollegiate athletics program.

WFU grad, 1993.

Who else ya' got?

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Wake Forest needs someone with more testicles than Ron Wellman, not less.

Except it's not going to happen because it doesn't need to happen.

Oh, it's going to happen but look at it this way. The economy is picking up and the job market has some signs of encouragement.

John currie

Currie helped bring Bruce pearl and lane kiffin to Tennessee. Maybe bring in currie and Bruce pearl. Wake is currently experiencing the death penalty in basketball anyways.

Hell, I would trade Wellman and buzz for madam currie and Minnie Pearl at this point.

Pearl would be culture change. That's for sure. Though not sure that's the kind of change we want.

I just don't see how RW would be let go in this situation. Yes, the basketball program is in shambles right now, but amongst other AD's and programs he's quite respected. In addition to that, he's on the NCAA tournament selection committee. He's made some mistakes, but none of us bat 1000 and he has done a good job of getting our name out there. He's interviewed quite often in major publications, moreso than some of our bigger named rivals. I could be way off, but I just don't see him being let go.

I just don't see how RW would be let go in this situation. Yes, the basketball program is in shambles right now, but amongst other AD's and programs he's quite respected. In addition to that, he's on the NCAA tournament selection committee. He's made some mistakes, but none of us bat 1000 and he has done a good job of getting our name out there. He's interviewed quite often in major publications, moreso than some of our bigger named rivals. I could be way off, but I just don't see him being let go.

Well said.

This thread is dumb. Aside from the fact that Wellman isn't going anywhere, we know less about the selection process for an AD than we do about the selection process for a new coach (which many of you, myself included, should admit is not much).

Back