• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Car Buying Advice?

Bumping this thread back to the top. I have a 2000 Honda Accord that I bought in 2003 and I'm looking at a new Subaru Forester. The MSRP of the one I really want is roughly 27,000. The sales price (is that the same as invoice price?) is 25,555. How do I find out how much the dealer actually paid for the car? Also, they're offering me $1500 for my Accord, which has about 173K miles on it. I walked away and told them I wanted to crunch the numbers, but in reality I really want to negotiate a little and have no idea how to start. What's a reasonable amount to expect them to take off the car to make a sale?

We just bought a 2014 Forester - think we paid 28K for a fairly upgraded model. Had the WORST experience with a salesman here in Chicago - he just made a bunch of arrogant and sexist remarks in front of my girlfriend, which was pretty stupid - so we ended up buying it in Oregon and it's getting shipped here.

For your trade-in, I'd check the values at Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds first, to get an idea of what you should expect to be offered - then you can go from there.

Was it the Premium, Limited or Touring? Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

so if i'm still making payments on my car but am interested on trading it in towards something different, how does that work?

I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. I work in auto finance so if you still don't understand how this works or have other questions let me know since I can explain it to you.

Also if anyone else has any other questions let me know since I can try to help.

I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. I work in auto finance so if you still don't understand how this works or have other questions let me know since I can explain it to you.

Also if anyone else has any other questions let me know since I can try to help.

oops, sorry- it's emptied now.
i think i'm ok right now (unless you still have the message saved and want to send it), but will PM with any questions.

Bumping this thread back to the top. I have a 2000 Honda Accord...Also, they're offering me $1500 for my Accord, which has about 173K miles on it. I walked away and told them I wanted to crunch the numbers, but in reality I really want to negotiate a little and have no idea how to start. What's a reasonable amount to expect them to take off the car to make a sale?

Trim and engine?

It's the 2.5i Premium. 4 cylinder 170hp.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Bump back to the top. The wife just got a job and its 5 miles from the house. We're open to about everything unless its boring looking and 30K is still the ceiling. Has anyone bought a new ride lately? Does anyone own a Hyundai as I hear the south Koreans are really building quality stuff these days?

My wife had a Hyundai Sonata turbo for awhile, just recently traded it in. Very nice, very fast. Her lease expired and we decided we wanted an SUV or we would have kept it. Which leads to point # 2. My wife just got a Subaru Forester limited over the weekend. Very nice car and under 30K. Rated as the best SUV by consumer reports. They really last. AWD makes them good cars in all sorts of weather. Sight lines are very good.

2011 Hyundai Sonata. I do a lot of highway driving and legit get around 30mpg. Car drives very well, haven't had any problems, and has overall made weekend trips a lot more enjoyable.

Girlfriend bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra in June. We both really like it. Fairly cheap and 0% interest for 60 months.

My daughter has a 2009 Elantra and wife just bought a 2013 Sonata. Both are great cars. The Sonata is worth the extra $$, IMO.

I'd look at the KIA Optima. It's the same as the hyundai elantra but I like the exterior and interior styling better. I'd also look at the ford fusion. That is a great car and has won a bunch of awards. I currently drive a 2012 Toyota Camry and it's alright. It gets the job done but I don't think it fits your bill styling wise. It's not really what I wanted but because of where I worked I got such a huge discount that the tradeoff was worth it.

One of the gals at my office has the Kia optima. Great looking car and she really seems to like it.

my sis-in-law has a 2013 sonata and I just got to ride in the back of it this weekend... really spacious, and there's a package option that lets you get heated seats IN THE BACK SEAT. as a passenger, this was awesome.
I have a Subaru outback that I bought used and would recommend to basically anyone, but would 100% get a Forester if I were buying new tomorrow. Good size, you can drive them into the ground, look nice, AWD, pretty good mileage.

I've got a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue 5-speed that I've put close to 72k on already, and it has been fantastic. No real repairs (just new tires because the ones I got with it were rated at about 50k, replaced them around 60k), and have really enjoyed it. My wife bought hers the same day (2010 Elantra GLS, automatic) and only has about 45k on it, loves it as well. No problems with either car, and the dealership has been great to followup on service, etc. Purchased via Kennith Stewart at Paramount in Hickory - he was probably the most pleasant salesman I've ever dealt with, although I'm sure trading in 2 decent cars and purchasing 2 brand new cars on the same day had nothing to do with it! :rofl: Good luck!

Need some advice for test driving cars (never done it before except with my parents when I turned 16).

I have narrowed my choices down to a few models from either Honda, Toyota, or VW. So I want to go in this weekend to the respective dealers and test them out and decide which car I want to buy. A couple of these models have a few different trim levels I'm interested in...is it kosher to do two different test drives from the same dealer (eg a couple different types of Accords) on the same same day?

Any tips to make this as pressure-free as possible other than saying I'm doing comparison shopping to decide which model I want? I most definitely won't be buying anything this weekend. Thanks.

Need some advice for test driving cars (never done it before except with my parents when I turned 16).

I have narrowed my choices down to a few models from either Honda, Toyota, or VW. So I want to go in this weekend to the respective dealers and test them out and decide which car I want to buy. A couple of these models have a few different trim levels I'm interested in...is it kosher to do two different test drives from the same dealer (eg a couple different types of Accords) on the same same day?

Any tips to make this as pressure-free as possible other than saying I'm doing comparison shopping to decide which model I want? I most definitely won't be buying anything this weekend. Thanks.

You can drive anything you want and tell them anything you want. The salesperson's job is to sell you a car.

Barca you're gonna need some more confidence in this situation or you will be walking out in the first car you see without a test drive at all

Unless there are powertrain differences, they'll all essentially "drive" the same.

Otherwise, don't feel bad about asking for multiple test drives. If they start to give you shit, walk off the lot and go to another dealer.

Back