• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

All of this is just speculation. No one really knows what is going on except for the people involved (the candidates and the AD) and they aren't talking to anyone who is posting on these boards about it nor are they telling anyone in the media.

It's widely entertaining but ultimately it is all meaningless. We will know who it is when Wake wants us to know.

If you have paid attention to the boards then you know which posters might actually know something about what’s going on.

At least Amaker has a recruiting scandal in his recent history. Otherwise he does seem like a Hatch wet dream. That video where he talks about player breakfasts with the community and hosting lecturers from faculty is like Hatch crack.

Still would be a massive upgrade from Manning though.

Honestly I might have rather kept Manning one more year, with the expectation that he’d be canned a year from now rather than start a new era with Tommy fucking Amaker.

Please please please not Amaker. I'm begging for anyone else

+a gazelion

Don’t care where he went to school but do care that as a coach he’s a wet noodle personality wise and an ever growing phoney on the hardwood.

Why is he at Harvard? Cuz he and his wife wanted a cushy no pressure gig hobknobing with the snooty elite as members in one of the on-campus eating clubs.

Wake can and should do much better than Tommy Amaker

Amaker is smart and likable. That is an upgrade and I typically despise Dukies.

Honestly I might have rather kept Manning one more year, with the expectation that he’d be canned a year from now rather than start a new era with Tommy fucking Amaker.

Yup. Amaker seems like the only candidate that could be the absolute death of Wake Forest basketball. There's very little hope of him building a consistent Top 25 program with occasional runs into the Top5/10, but it's almost guaranteed that he'd build a program that bounces between the bubble and some runs in the NIT...enough to stay employed without ever accomplishing anything. We'd finally have the mediocrity we've been striving for the last 11 years.

At least the other candidates provide hope, either from demonstrated higher ceilings or lack of experience at the P6 level, and if they fail, a chance to try again in 3-4 years. Amaker seems like the safe candidate who would retire from Wake after a long career without ever accomplishing anything significant.

Last edited:
FLIGHT from Greer, SC to W-S lands at 10:37a. Who's got airport duty today?

Yup. Amaker seems like the only candidate that could be the absolute death of Wake Forest basketball. There's very little hope of him building a consistent Top 25 program with occasional runs into the Top5/10, but it's almost guaranteed that he'd build a program that bounces between the bubble and some runs in the NIT...enough to stay employed without ever accomplishing anything. We'd finally have the mediocrity we've been striving for the last 11 years.

At least the other candidates provide hope, either from demonstrated higher ceilings or lack of experience at the P6 level, and if they fail, a chance to try again in 3-4 years. Amaker seems like the safe candidate who would retire from Wake after a long career without ever accomplishing anything significant.

Agree. Just keep Manning. With Manning, I can just laugh at every stupid thing he did year after year.

Amaker would make me nauseous. Wake does not need to try and be Duke-lite.

As Brasky said, if we hire Amaker, what's the point of sports.

For Wake to supposedly be an elite university, it sure makes more than it's share of stupid decisions.

Wake basketball will die with Amaker,.

FLIGHT from Greer, SC to W-S lands at 10:37a. Who's got airport duty today?

Hey, where's my Uber to the airport?!

qwfqkdQNTkFzC0oFm-g_KwD5D_90-guncAlbzX5OyifG8--mn_6OnUwoIsOWTnIjbVNviD5fP014gy4I80L7iDs-KkZzv4k_QYc

Amaker was never mentioned in the candidate list. If we're going to go rogue, let's just go get Stevens! :dancindeac:

Back