• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

If kelsey has such a high ceiling then why hasn't he dominated that trash conference with the program with the biggest name cachet

He hasn't even approached what Marshall did there, while having a similar amount of time. That's the worry. At least Wes is the best coach to come through the UNCG program (as far as I've aware)

So, no planes incoming from Irvine, CA. That's be a story I'd read but likely never written.

You guys that think Wes wouldn’t want to beat Carolina more than anyone we play know nothing about athletic competition or general psychology. Some crazy dumb takes on this thread.

This.

I feel sorry for the poor hamster responsible for powering this board as he hasn't seen this much hot take activity in recent years since Election Night 2016.

All of this. Manning has been a attrocious academics wise, without hardly a complaint. The same posters I've seen talking down Forbes are often those who were Manning's biggest defenders.

I assume you mean me. First, Manning has been atrocious coaching-wise and attrition-wise, not academic-wise - unless you have some info on our team GPA. I though Massoud just received some honorific for his school performance btw.

I don't give Manning credit for our academic performance. We have a collective department that handles that, but I don't think we've had a student be suspended from the team for academic performance since JLewis was briefly on campus his frosh year. I suppose you are suggesting offering schollys to kids who can't cut it? Not sure. It reads like a bullshit, half-cocked, fact-free diatribe.

I would love to have Forbes be our coach. He's a coach's coach - totally self made as a coach. If I am Currie, I'd need Forbes to articulate how he'd recruit at Wake and a conversation would need to take place regarding how we have traditionally worked with former JUCO players (almost never - unless they were accepted/qualified for college), etc... He was on staff when Tennessee last got sanctioned. I haven't heard him take enough responsibility for his staff role. Maybe he has to Currie. It's a concern. There are no virgins in college basketball maybe, but we don't want to hire someone who doesn't understand and can embrace our culture.

I wondered about this too. I initially was totally opposed to Miller or Kelsey. Still think Kelsey is a weak sauce choice, but after the threat of Amaker taking over the program, if you told me we'd get Miller now I'd be thrilled.

This is where I’m at as well. I’ve been against Miller (but prefer him over Kelsey), but the mention of Amaker has made me feel better about Wes in comparison. I would be thrilled with Forbes.

It's down to Miller and Forbes

This has been reported by Jeff Goodman, Les, and Evan Daniels

I'm not sure why we would think anyone else is a favorite at this point

I think you mixed up Les and Conor?

I would guess that Goodman/Conor/Evan are working from the same source(s) on the coaching side, while Les seems to be working on a source from the Wake side.

I think you mixed up Les and Conor?

I would guess that Goodman/Conor/Evan are working from the same source(s) on the coaching side, while Les seems to be working on a source from the Wake side.

Conor contradicts Goodman/Evan/Les. He says Wes and Forbes are out, the other 3 say Wes and Forbes are the favorites.

Wes is consistently recruiting 3-stars (out of high school... not transfers or grad seniors or JUCOs) at freakin UNCG!

UNCG's 2019 recruiting class had 3 of the 4 highest UNCG recruits ever: https://247sports.com/college/uncg/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

And the 1/4 that wasn't in the 2019 class was in the 2018 class

Exactly. Miller is such a typical Wake hire. You can't be anti-Amaker because of Duke, and be okay with Wes because of UNC. Unless you are a closet UNC fan.

I assume you mean me.

No, but if the glove fits...

First, Manning has been atrocious coaching-wise and attrition-wise, not academic-wise - unless you have some info on our team GPA. I though Massoud just received some honorific for his school performance btw.

Our team APR is the worst at Wake and likely to go down given all of the transfers this year.

I don't give Manning credit for our academic performance. We have a collective department that handles that, but I don't think we've had a student be suspended from the team for academic performance since JLewis was briefly on campus his frosh year. I suppose you are suggesting offering schollys to kids who can't cut it? Not sure. It reads like a bullshit, half-cocked, fact-free diatribe.

Considering some of the "schools" some of the players we've offered came from, I'd suggest that yes, he offered schollies to kids that probably couldn't cut it. And they weren't even good at basketball either.

Conor contradicts Goodman/Evan/Les. He says Wes and Forbes are out, the other 3 say Wes and Forbes are the favorites.

Got ya. So Conor says they are out (I had that backwards). Evan/Goodman say they are favorites. I don't think Les has stated any favorites/leaders at all.

Keep sleeping on the flight en route to Greenville RIGHT NOW, with Richey waiting on arrival.

Why should we give Wes a second chance. He turned us down before by going to another school.

I have seen/heard the rumors that Prosser refused to give Wes a walk-on position at Wake and as a result he wound up in Chapel Hell. This is hard to accept as fact since Wes's dad is such a big donor to Wake.

No, Wes went to JMU, my guess on a ride, didn't like it there and then walked on at Carolina. Kinda like Mike Drum went to some school in the mountains and ending up walking on at WFU and getting PT.

Back