• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Yeah. These clowns saying, “he’s not a wake Forest guy” need to quit being pretentious douche bags. Its never good to suggest someone needs to be more like Nathan Hatch.
For what it's worth, the various ETSU fans on their board where repeatedly saying the same thing. "He's not a Wake Forest Guy." Just from the other direction.

Folks speculating that Forbes' success is attributable to JUCOs are fucking ignorant and lazy. Look at his goddamn resume. Dude can recruit, and recruit at a very high level, regardless of our admissions policy (which, yeah, I agree should be more accepting of JUCOs)

This is a slam dunk hire.

Love this hire and will gladly eat crow that I never thought Hatch would approve. The best thing about the hire is that it shows Currie is calling the shots, and that should help us in other sports as well down the road. Likely means that Hatch is on the verge of retirement and he didn’t want to get in the middle.

While I really wanted Matta, Forbes is a strong second choice. I much preferred him to Wes Miller or any of the other names. No, he doesn't seem like he's from the Wake Forest mold, but I think that's a good thing. I trust Currie won't care in the way Wellman did when he canned Dino.

I've been reading the ETSU Board.

Boy, are those guys morose and dejected.

And the ones that aren't are stressing over who their replacement will be.

They should hire Kelsey and Winthrop should hire Randolph.

Honestly.
Wake Fans.
How fucking long has it been since we actually got something we wanted? Needed?
Deserved to have?

Too. Fucking. Long.
There's light in the Tunnels again.

This is rich coming from a mod on a 'free' message board which pushed:

- The Tommy Amaker narrative
- Reported Forbes was out
- Reported Miller elected not to be a part of the process
- Matta was the pick

Les stuck to his guns on the 2 favorites before Roger Murdock staked out the Smith Reynolds airport.

LOL. Les made guesses just like everyone else. Only difference is he put it behind a paywall and sheep like you actually pay for it.

I was definitely Matta/Forbes/Wes yesterday after starting out the search as Matta/Beilein/Forbes, but I'm pretty stoked with Forbes. Wes got more intriguing, and I don't think it would have been an issue, but I am kind of glad to avoid the potential awkward family thing. But if it came down to two dudes who each won 100 games in the previous four years, that's not bad at all.

Currie letting his fucking nuts hang with this hire. Wellman would have never done this. It feels good to give a shit again.

I don't really like the dismissal of JUCOs in general. I know every comment isn't like this or intentional, but I have met some super smart and very hard working people who come from JUCOs/Community Colleges. We still may not recruit/admit them, but those kids are more than capable of getting through Wake. I mean, we've had a couple of prep guys who weren't ready right out of high school, either. I think we should probably just get over that as a fanbase, and I'd like to get over it as a policy, if it's an official one.

One of the issues with JuCos at Wake is that Wake accepts few credits from JuCos who transfer in. NCAA requires that these student athletes have sufficient credits to qualify as academic juniors. Because Wake doesn't accept all their credits, they don't meet Wake qualifications to be academic juniors. Then the NCAA declares them academically ineligible for participation.

I agree that JuCos can be smart. Several I knew at Wake became physicians. Wake used to take about 100 JuCos every year. Somewhere along the line, the practice of accepting JuCo students and credits changed.

The 100% graduation rate is encouraging. I trust Currie got enough right answers about the importance of academics. Also, Currie must have gotten comfortable with Forbes NCAA violation situation.

It would be smart for Forbes to put some strong words about the importance of academics in his initial introductory press conference.

Stop with this bs. His players will graduate. There is a pretty large group of people invested in helping them. It was only manning that did not give a shit.

You are worried about NCAA violations? The same NCAA that allowed u*NC to skate? The same NCAA that makes a shit ton of money on the backs of kids? I'm not.

One of the issues with JuCos at Wake is that Wake accepts few credits from JuCos who transfer in. NCAA requires that these student athletes have sufficient credits to qualify as academic juniors. Because Wake doesn't accept all their credits, they don't meet Wake qualifications to be academic juniors. Then the NCAA declares them academically ineligible for participation.

I agree that JuCos can be smart. Several I knew at Wake became physicians. Wake used to take about 100 JuCos every year. Somewhere along the line, the practice of accepting JuCo students and credits changed.

Yeah, I clarified this in a later post, but I think that's bad policy for Wake admissions. Not just Athletics. Bad, backwards, and outdated across the whole university.

Can we call Steve Forbes' pressure defense "the flat tax", because that would make me happy if we do.

IM PUMPED

Back