• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

The biggest risk in this search is Hatch. He is the single biggest problem with Wake athletics. In my opinion, he has done more damage than Wellman. Wake athletics were in good shape until Hatch arrived. After a couple of years of Hatch’s influence the decline began. Hatch is no friend to athletics just the opposite. It is a small miracle that we found Clawson and have been able to hold on to him. Bottom line: if Hatch plays an active role in the selection of this coach...we are in trouble.

Hatch is a problem just like he was at ND. He needs to go.

I am not a big fan of so-called "national searches" but that's why you pay a big fee to a search firm.

What a search firm should deliver is the next Tony Bennett, who was a hidden jewel coaching out of the media spotlight in a far corner of the Pacific Northwest (and with no ties to the ACC or mid-Atlantic). UVA took the firm's advice and made a spectacular hire who both wins and fits UVA's academic culture and recruiting limits.

What concerns me is we have this "national search firm" but, other than Beilein, all the prime candidates appear to be mid-major coaches from schools within a three hour drive.

Last edited:
They way to get Beilein in the fold is with a really strong long term care insurance package. He wants a job asap because he's gone uninsured since leaving the Cavs in February (bad move on the leading edge of a pandemic, if you ask me), but every school is going to offer fairly equivalent regular health insurance, what a man his age is looking for is extra benefits like life insurance and long term care coverage. Matta, unfortunately is probably uninsurable.

I am not a big fan of so-called "national searches" but that's why you pay a big fee to a search firm.

What a search firm should deliver is the next Tony Bennett, a hidden jewel coaching out of the media spotlight in a far corner of the Pacific Northwest (and with no ties to the ACC or mid-Atlantic). UVA took the firm's advice and made a spectacular hire who both wins and fits UVA's academic culture and recruiting limits.

What concerns me is we have this "national search firm" but, other than Beilein, all the prime candidates appear to be mid-major coaches from schools within a three hour drive.

Craig Smith...

They way to get Beilein in the fold is with a really strong long term care insurance package. He wants a job asap because he's gone uninsured since leaving the Cavs in February (bad move on the leading edge of a pandemic, if you ask me), but every school is going to offer fairly equivalent regular health insurance, what a man his age is looking for is extra benefits like life insurance and long term care coverage. Matta, unfortunately is probably uninsurable.

Hey, I've got a guy who could protect Matta. No doctor or hospital would turn down Matta with my guy involved.

Bird, should I give him a call?

Hey, I've got a guy who could protect Matta. No doctor or hospital would turn down Matta with my guy involved.

Bird, should I give him a call?

Just don't send that guy by my place of business.

Miller is a beast recruiter. Knows everyone. Top ranked class ever at UNCG again.

Beast recruiter? Knows everyone? Are you feeling ok?
For the life of me I don't understand why a coach with a record of 164–126 is even mentioned as first or even second tier candidates.

Would still love to try to make a hard run at Shaka. Think he fits like a glove at Wake and gets to move back East.

My tiers are still:
-Beilein/Matta

-Shaka
-Forbes
-Willard

-quite a few unlikely names

-Miller tier

-Kelsey tier

Hopefully we don’t strike out on tiers 1-3 or we’re in a worse spot as a program than even we at OGB believe.

first step should be to see if we could persuade Brad Stevens to return to college coaching at ... say ... Wake for instance, perhaps right now

if not, then Thad Matta, he's still only 52 and can definitely coach

then Beilein, who can also definitely coach but is unfortunately too old to last long

this is not the time to play hunches or take risks, get somebody who can immediately coach successfully at the ACC level for sure

Knew a douche sales guy who would not shut up about how his wife was a 10. If a conversation mentioned women there was a 100% chance phrases like "out-kicked my coverage" or "my smoke show wife" or "I won the wife lottery" or "my supermodel wife doesn't know how hot she is plus she's funny." Just relentless. Became a joke at the office since nobody had ever met or even seen a picture of her.

Finally she shows at a corporate event. She's totally fine. Pretty much your standard 40'ish mom, little chubby, decent looking. Who knows, maybe she's really cool behind the scenes but she's the epitome of average in normal conversation. And of course the commentary about her was nonstop and unforgiving because her sales douche husband laid such high expectations laced with vanity and cockiness and insufferable bragging.

Plus the next time he says someone is "amazing" nobody buys his bullshit, whether it's about looks, intelligence, success, whatever. Even if he's right about some single aspect of his description it's buried under so much garbage it's lost. It was obvious every compliment was 5% for the person and 95% for him to attach to himself.

But I'm trying to keep an open mind about Wes Miller.

Miller is a beast recruiter. Knows everyone. Top ranked class ever at UNCG again.

I’m so confused by your logic rj, what exactly is this “we can’t afford to risk it.” Risk what? Like not hiring a top 10 coach? They aren’t for hire.

And lose what? We have no fans. We have no players. We have nothing.

Top ranked class ever at UNCG? Really? Is that not the definition of tallest midget?

As I’ve said before on this thread, Miller is a fine coach who has done a really solid job over the past 5 years.

But he’s not ready to coach in the ACC.

I think in addition to looking at guys with a strong smaller conference HC record, guys with long histories as assistant coaches at good/overachieving programs seems to be a recurring variable among good recent hires -- Bennett, Beard, Sean Miller, Chris Mack

it's one reason I like Forbes and one concern about Wes Miller -- he's never been an assistant for a good team

As opposed to Beilein, Miller is young and long term care insurance is probably the furthest thing from his mind. Wake could save a bundle and get a pretty descent coach in the process with a young guy like Miller. I doubt with a guy like him long term care insurance even comes up in negotiations.

I think in addition to looking at guys with a strong smaller conference HC record, guys with long histories as assistant coaches at good/overachieving programs seems to be a recurring variable among good recent hires -- Bennett, Beard, Sean Miller, Chris Mack

it's one reason I like Forbes and one concern about Wes Miller -- he's never been an assistant for a good team

^ this

Back