• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I think in addition to looking at guys with a strong smaller conference HC record, guys with long histories as assistant coaches at good/overachieving programs seems to be a recurring variable among good recent hires -- Bennett, Beard, Sean Miller, Chris Mack

it's one reason I like Forbes and one concern about Wes Miller -- he's never been an assistant for a good team

How about Ron Sanchez?

There shouldn't be a Wake bball fan alive who wouldn't take a great, proven coach knowing we'd have to hire another one in 5-10 years.

If someone's sales pitch is "if X turns out to be great..." No thanks. I'll take someone who's much more of a sure thing and as proven as you can get at the highest level you can get. I'm not interested in solving the next 35 years. I'd like to solve the next 5 and take it from there, when we're building off of 5 years of progress and returning to respectability.

I'm in this camp. Make Beilein scream "NO" so loudly Currie doesn't need electronics to hear it in Winston-Salem.
Let him spend a few years getting the program from the middle of the swamp it's in to some semblance of respectability. I suspect Currie will have a much easier time hiring a coach to a program with a few years of 20 win seasons most recent as opposed to 20 loss seasons.

It is pretty easy to get a basketball team from mediocre to pretty good quickly. Get a good coach. Have him get two good players to show up with the immediately eligible transfer rule. (I know Wake has only one open scholarship at the moment, but the transfer portal can fix that.) Wake could hit .500 or better overall and in conference in the 20-21 season.

If I'm Currie, I'm not worrying very much about the state of Wake basketball in 2030-2031 season. I'm getting the guy I think can have the best Wake basketball possible in 2020 - 2021 and 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. While that is happening, I use the improved results as a springboard for a longer term solution when that becomes necessary. Beilein is 5 years younger than coach K. I'll take that as 5+ years of coaching life left for Beilein.

Can’t wait for some real news. Until then, we get to watch Donald Ross and RJ suck their own dicks in front of each other.

But is Greensboro, NC really much above Olean, NY? Really?

I know Jim Boeheim wouldn't think so.

:tard:

It is a big, big deal when it’s time to get in the car and drive to practice in the Big 4. Hoops tentacles everywhere here.

I'm in this camp. Make Beilein scream "NO" so loudly Currie doesn't need electronics to hear it in Winston-Salem.
Let him spend a few years getting the program from the middle of the swamp it's in to some semblance of respectability. I suspect Currie will have a much easier time hiring a coach to a program with a few years of 20 win seasons most recent as opposed to 20 loss seasons.

It is pretty easy to get a basketball team from mediocre to pretty good quickly. Get a good coach. Have him get two good players to show up with the immediately eligible transfer rule. (I know Wake has only one open scholarship at the moment, but the transfer portal can fix that.) Wake could hit .500 or better overall and in conference in the 20-21 season.

If I'm Currie, I'm not worrying very much about the state of Wake basketball in 2030-2031 season. I'm getting the guy I think can have the best Wake basketball possible in 2020 - 2021 and 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. While that is happening, I use the improved results as a springboard for a longer term solution when that becomes necessary. Beilein is 5 years younger than coach K. I'll take that as 5+ years of coaching life left for Beilein.

I just disagree. We are sucking for the next 5 years. It’s a 10 year rebuild whether we start now or 2025. That doesn’t happen with a 67 year old rich guy. He’s looking for the retirement gig. This ain’t it.

DR laying the groundwork that if Miller is hired and he doesn't accomplish anything in 5 years that he wasn't wrong that we just terminated him too quickly.

I wonder if Chaundee leaving will have any impact on whether Beilein would take the job. If Chaundee had stayed, JB could have had a decent season next year and helped recruit for the next 4-5 years. If we suck, it may not fit his needs other than getting an immediate job.

I just disagree. We are sucking for the next 5 years. It’s a 10 year rebuild whether we start now or 2025. That doesn’t happen with a 67 year old rich guy. He’s looking for the retirement gig. This ain’t it.

Thats bullshit and you know it, the right guy can turn this around in 2-3 years.

Basketball is a sport built for quick turnarounds. The best players occupy about 75% of the minutes on a team. Get two or three studs to go along with what Wake currently has and you're looking at a .500 season or better. A good coach who can recruit can do that in a year or two. Find a couple of grad transfers (who might not be in the portal currently) who want to play for Beilein and Wake is respectable in 2020-2021. Then recruit a few more. Dance not later than 2022. Foundation laid. Fans will return when wins return.

Thats bullshit and you know it, the right guy can turn this around in 2-3 years.

Not with anything sustained. Penny Hardaway's Memphis team shows that. You can make a splash. And cheat. It won't last.

We need a 7K seat stadium, a hungry Coach who is committed for the long haul and buy in and patience. We get that with several of these options. I don't know Odom but if he's as smart and hungry as Wes, Pat, and Russell, I'm in for him too.

well this is batshit crazy

I was wondering when the on campus arena would show up.

3y7ygy.jpg

DR laying the groundwork that if Miller is hired and he doesn't accomplish anything in 5 years that he wasn't wrong that we just terminated him too quickly.

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

He will also use the bad arena, loser mentality fan base, etc. as the real reason his boy wasn’t able to win here.

For those of us around since the old Rancho de Nada days, this whole thing is classic donaldross:

1). Take an unlikely to happen position as your hill to die on
2). If said position doesn’t happen, remind everyone for the next 10 years why you’re smarter than everyone else because HOF Wes would have had us in multiple Final Fours.
3) if it does happen and he’s not successful, build in some premade excuses (see above) for why. I can assure you dr will never acknowledge that Wes wasn’t capable.
4) if it does happen and he’s successful, remind everyone continually that you’re smarter than everyone else.

If #4 ever comes to fruition I will be at the front of the line eating crow.

But DR has his bases covered either way. We’ve watched this play for 20 years.

Nice try fake news. I wasn't the one yearning to fire Manning. That's everyone else. The coach is the footnote. We need a stadium. We haven't gotten it ever. Our failures aren't because I argued for a stadium. It's because we didn't build one.

Not with anything sustained. Penny Hardaway's Memphis team shows that. You can make a splash. And cheat. It won't last.

We need a 7K seat stadium, a hungry Coach who is committed for the long haul and buy in and patience. We get that with several of these options. I don't know Odom but if he's as smart and hungry as Wes, Pat, and Russell, I'm in for him too.

7k? Ffs dude. I can see 9k but we aren’t high point...With winning, the fans will come back and at our best we’d have 12k-13k fans with only a couple thousand opposing fans in big 4 games.

If we suck for the next 5 years and are rebuilding for 10, then Currie just hired an even worse coach than [Redacted] or Manning. That is just a completely asinine statement.

Do we not care about the somewhat checkered past of Forbes? Guy got fired at UT along with the super shady Bruce pearl for lying to the ncaa and had to coach community college. For a place so hell bent on doing things the right way and above board - is a surprise no one has brought up his past. His W-L is superb. I'm not clear on the dates of all the UT stuff but was Currie there at the time? He should have plenty of info about just how shady that was.

His ties to Pearl and Billy Gillespie were raised by me weeks ago as possible red flags.

If we suck for the next 5 years and are rebuilding for 10, then Currie just hired an even worse coach than [Redacted] or Manning. That is just a completely asinine statement.

Yep. All DR is doing is setting himself up for cover if his boy doesn’t win here.

Back