• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

https://youtu.be/JA952QmaqQ8
7k seats is a joke. I’m all for 10-12k, but if we go 7k we might as well drop out of the ACC.

Yeah this is really my main disagreement with DR. I could even see us going to 9k and it making some sense, but that would still be pretty small. 7K is HPU level...granted, I haven’t looked up theit capacity but I imagine it’s something around there.

Wake definitely doesn’t have the worst arena in basketball. Conte Forum is the worst in the ACC and that’s not even close.

I can dig it. Personally I think a momentum Home run hire could get us to the round of 64 in year 3, I would accept year 4, so long as we are seeing marked improvement the entire time. Like year 1: 13 wins, year 2: 16 wins and year 3 a bubble team or very close to bubble.

Correct. All of that is completely for naught if the guy turns 70 that year. I�m not striving for the bubble.

I laugh at all the hatred for Coach Kelsey. Guy put his heart and soul into Wake. Basically ran the program during the Prosser era. He was the one who brought in the Tye Dye nation to an arena so poorly designed to have it. Then went and got to 2 NCAA tourneys as a head coach. And we �have to shut the program down� if we hire him? WTH is wrong with you people?

Do you know Pat? Go look at his twitter account. It�s a microcosm of who he is. He is exactly what we want.

Cassell is a better fit for Wake than the Joel. Loud and seats close to the floor. Old yes, but the design and layout provide a good home court advantage

The atmosphere might be better than the Joel just because they’ve recently been a better program, but it’s a terrible arena in terms of spectator’s comfort. It doesn’t even compare to the Yum Center, The Pete, Little John, Dean Dome, etc.

Come on man. Joel is bigger than we need yes. Not even close to the worst in college b-ball. Wake had a great home court advantage when we were good.

The Joel is not the problem. We filled it for many years when we had good coaches and a consistent winning program. The last decade has unfortunately erased some of those memories. But yesterday’s announcement is huge and with the right hire we will quickly get back to a consistent winning program in the top half to top third of the ACC. We need an instant boost to the program which Beilein being a proven winning college coach will do on day one. Then by the time he retires along with Roy and K we will have put the program back on the map and find a younger successor to take us forward for the next 10+ years. Go Deacs!

Completely disagree, the Joel has been a big hindrance. Even when we were very good, the Wolfpack, Carolina, and Duke fans were there in droves. Ross has long been right on this, Wake deserves much better than the Joel
Hey you're welcome to that opinion but there's really no objective evidence supporting it. again this study was done in like the mid-2000s over a 10 to 15 year. It was such a hindrance it would show up in a lack of home court advantage.

I think eventually will repurpose the Joel when reduce seating capacity which I think would be a good idea but it's not going to have a material impact on the quality of our basketball program

I forgot 4. Russell Turner

He went to WF at same time as Currie, correct?

Old buddy theory (a fail, but would not surprise me).

Turner was an assistant at WF under Odom during the Duncan era. Turner was a D3 All American at Hampden Sydney as a player.

No, Russell didn’t go to Wake. But thanks for joining those trying to take our best candidates off the table because *gasp* we know them.

Knowing folks helps. I love Alphonso Smith. He’s one of my dear friends. Because I know him, theres no way in hell I would advocate for him to Coach at Wake. Knowing folks that others don’t isn’t a bad thing when it comes to making hires. It’s a good thing.

Hey you're welcome to that opinion but there's really no objective evidence supporting it. again this study was done in like the mid-2000s over a 10 to 15 year. It was such a hindrance it would show up in a lack of home court advantage.

I think eventually will repurpose the Joel when reduce seating capacity which I think would be a good idea but it's not going to have a material impact on the quality of our basketball program

Precisely.

Beilein is a great coach, but he really showed his age over the last year. He had major issues relating to players in Cleveland (realize it was the NBA). I would prefer a younger candidate.

Yeah this is really my main disagreement with DR. I could even see us going to 9k and it making some sense, but that would still be pretty small. 7K is HPU level...granted, I haven’t looked up theit capacity but I imagine it’s something around there.
Here you go, Creamy. High Point U's new stadium is TINY.
eb54e992bc37e11877197a0ea2f66339.jpg

We had a 6,900 average attendance this year. More around 5-6k actual attendance. This was a year when nobody could care less about Wake basketball. When there’s a new coach hired, I expect the official attendance numbers to go up by more than 100 people.

Back