• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

You tend to work yourself to extremes, it would have been better to have 14000 Wake fans for the Duke game this year but the fact that you did not know there were so many Duke fans was because we were able to keep them quiet, a good team will do that, and your memory of the Joel in the period 1990 to 2007 or so is way different than mine but I don’t have the bias of wanting a 7000 seat arena. The reason the Joel was mentioned as so intimidating a place to play during that period(1990-2007)was partly due to the fact that the noise focuses down onto the court, something that I can say I have seen from row 1, further I was in a sold out Dean Dome that was like a tomb for the Wake Tarheel game Randoph’s senior year when we dusted them. It works both ways.

We disagree. We disagreed in the 90s too when I was pointout out all the sections of open seats. We'll disagree about it later too when Nelms claims the Manning years were full. Is what it is.

Our stadium is a horrific disaster for us and has been since it opened. Sure we backed into Tim Duncan. Only WF could make Tim Duncan underachieve. As has CP3 and virtually all other teams in the Joel era.

So should Miller.

Northern Kentucky is in the Horizon league. They both could have gone there and both would have won in those so called "high major"/non P5 jobs. So what. I'm glad they didn't so that we aren't competing with Michigan or Indiana for them.

In 2030, will it really matter whether Pat went to Northern Kentucky for awhile before coming to Wake? In 2030, John Beilein will be dead. Let's win in 2030. That starts with this hire.

Our stadium is a horrific disaster for us and has been since it opened. Sure we backed into Tim Duncan. Only WF could make Tim Duncan underachieve. As has CP3 and virtually all other teams in the Joel era.

Those teams all had great home court records. Our issue has always been underachieving at tournament play and especially the NCAA tournament

We disagree. We disagreed in the 90s too when I was pointout out all the sections of open seats. We'll disagree about it later too when Nelms claims the Manning years were full. Is what it is.

Well, I have a tee time so you will have to try to convince others, as you have stated, we do not agree.

Well, I have a tee time so you will have to try to convince others, as you have stated, we do not agree.

The Joel is Forest Oaks and Bethpage Black. Oversized behemeaths with wasted, sound sucking space for miles.

We need Sedgefield and North Berwick. Small ball.

So nobody knows anything. That is my takeaway from this thread. Good for Currie. He is certainly very good at keeping things close to the vest.

I will be monitoring Shah on twitter. Interesting that Chill is lobbying for the position (the only piece of info I gleaned from multiple pages). I had heard rumors that he didn't get along with Manning all that well (on here). Wondering what exactly he was opposed to that Manning did ...

I can dig it. Personally I think a momentum Home run hire could get us to the round of 64 in year 3, I would accept year 4, so long as we are seeing marked improvement the entire time. Like year 1: 13 wins, year 2: 16 wins and year 3 a bubble team or very close to bubble.

I know a guy that took over the worst program in P5 that had fans paying for billboards to fire the current coach. He came in and got them selected as at large team in year 3. Don’t think he would be a good fit though.
I just want to see improvement that is obvious to all of our eyes. Be competitive and coach like you give a shit. The wins will come. Establishing criteria for each year can create some falsehoods.

Damn, Dude.
I know Beilein's in his late 60's, but damn.

Damn is right. Last I check we were way past Damn with WF basketball. Decisions are real. They have consequences. Wellman pussy footed around and stuck with Buzz and canned Gaudio because he just viewed him as slimmy. He golf clapped Manning for the fake NCAA "appearance" with basically a losing record with a long term deal. Wellman was focused on his grandkids swim meets--not basketball. We've treated this program like it's choir practice for a few decades now.

Time to start winning. Stadium small enough that folks are on outside looking in. If you can't get in, try next time. If you are old, we don't want you as our head coach if you haven't been here decades and are on the precipice of not being able to walk.

Damn is right. If you want to keep running our program politely, the same results will keep happening.

Northern Kentucky is in the Horizon league. They both could have gone there and both would have won in those so called "high major"/non P5 jobs. So what. I'm glad they didn't so that we aren't competing with Michigan or Indiana for them.

In 2030, will it really matter whether Pat went to Northern Kentucky for awhile before coming to Wake? In 2030, John Beilein will be dead. Let's win in 2030. That starts with this hire.

Name all the previous Wake coaches who were at Wake for 10 or more years.

The odds are whoever is coaching Wake in 2020 will not be coaching Wake in 2030. The task now is to hire a coach who will have Wake winning in the next few years. Get the coach for 21, 22, 23 right and the right coach for 2030 will be a lot easier.

It's not time to throw away the first half of the 20's. The teens are gone as the lost decade. Winning needs to start now. Not in five or 10 more years.

You pussies worried about the character of Forbes are a freaking joke. You can look back and see that I was a big advocate for hiring Bruce Pearl, and here is a chance to get Forbes and you worry about his character.. Fuck you, you weenies.. Don't you want to win!!!... I want Matta, Bellein or Forbes and all are high character men..
When us guys would travel to the games from the mountains, my boys would always make fun of me for pulling for the Deacs because of the better-than-you attitude of some of the fan base.. Lighten the fuck up and lets get a winner in here.. Miller is a pretty boy pussy and can coach, but not at this level right now... I want to win now and that truly means Matta, Bellein or Forbes. Yea I get it, Miller's wife looks good and you little WF pussies would feel good about that but that pussy don't produce wins... Go Deacs!!!

Name all the previous Wake coaches who were at Wake for 10 or more years.

The odds are whoever is coaching Wake in 2020 will not be coaching Wake in 2030. The task now is to hire a coach who will have Wake winning in the next few years. Get the coach for 21, 22, 23 right and the right coach for 2030 will be a lot easier.

It's not time to throw away the first half of the 20's. The teens are gone as the lost decade. Winning needs to start now. Not in five or 10 more years.

This is exactly where I'm at. People act like hiring the guy who will run your program and have sustained success for the next 30 years is just a call that you can make that for some reason everyone else is opting not to do. You have no idea when you'll find that guy. But it'll be a helluva lot easier to hire the next guy if we're actually good in 5 years. If that's Beilein coming in and coaching for a few years before retiring, great. If it's Miller bolting for UNC, fine. Do you know what I'd give for UNC to want to hire our coach?

Ask yourself this: When is the last time a major coach was hired away from WF? Grobe could have been but stayed until he was fired. Mackovic? That was before my time. I realize that we picture ourself as a destination and not a stepping stone but even a stepping stone would be better than this shit.

Of all of the ongoing board discussions I don't understand how there's even a debate about the coliseum. No reason for the smallest P6 school to have one of the biggest arenas. Whether the expense is worth changing I know not, but I don't see how anyone disagrees that the Joel hurts us. It's too big, lacks personality, and is kind of crappy.

And while DR has sort of become a board meme with the Wes stuff, I think he's right about the next coach. I mean Wake has never in it's history hired a big-name guy like Beilein/Pearl/Matta. Forbes doesn't seem like a Wake coach to me (neither did DFL, Bz, or Dino...although Dino kind of did because he was an assistant first). When duke hired k he had all of one year at as an ASSt at Indiana and five years at Army. Big fucking deal. People act like hiring a Miller or Kelsey is some unimaginable risk and way beneath Wake. Jeez we have some crazy ass fans.

I'd be happy with Beilein/Matta/Smart (although I don't think Smart is going to be successful) but we aren't hiring those guys. I have zero problem hiring an up and comer with more promise than experience, lots of energy, and acts like he has a clue about coaching college basketball players.

You pussies worried about the character of Forbes are a freaking joke. You can look back and see that I was a big advocate for hiring Bruce Pearl, and here is a chance to get Forbes and you worry about his character.. Fuck you, you weenies.. Don't you want to win!!!... I want Matta, Bellein or Forbes and all are high character men..
When us guys would travel to the games from the mountains, my boys would always make fun of me for pulling for the Deacs because of the better-than-you attitude of some of the fan base.. Lighten the fuck up and lets get a winner in here.. Miller is a pretty boy pussy and can coach, but not at this level right now... I want to win now and that truly means Matta, Bellein or Forbes. Yea I get it, Miller's wife looks good and you little WF pussies would feel good about that but that pussy don't produce wins... Go Deacs!!!
Here ya go. This is the right kind of take.

#fuckyouweenies is right

man

and foh with this wes miller shit. we might as well hire levelle moton if we're interested in a low major vibes guy

There are a few home run hires but if those don't pan out, Wes Miller should be considered. However, if he's the guy then one of two scenarios probably occur within a few years:

1) He struggles to compete at the ACC level and we're back in the same spot looking for a coach; or

2) He does well, and we have to deal with persistent talk about how he will be the heir apparent to Roy. If he ditches us to take the UNC job, we're back in the same spot looking for a coach. Arguably worse off (as SD pointed out earlier) having our coach leave us to take our rival's job.

Is there any indication that Wes would be able to say no to his mentor Roy when Roy begs him to take the UNC job? Would he even want to say no, or would he be hoping for the opportunity all the while he was coaching the Deacs?

Of all of the ongoing board discussions I don't understand how there's even a debate about the coliseum. No reason for the smallest P6 school to have one of the biggest arenas. Whether the expense is worth changing I know not, but I don't see how anyone disagrees that the Joel hurts us. It's too big, lacks personality, and is kind of crappy.

And while DR has sort of become a board meme with the Wes stuff, I think he's right about the next coach. I mean Wake has never in it's history hired a big-name guy like Beilein/Pearl/Matta. Forbes doesn't seem like a Wake coach to me (neither did DFL, Bz, or Dino...although Dino kind of did because he was an assistant first). When duke hired k he had all of one year at as an ASSt at Indiana and five years at Army. Big fucking deal. People act like hiring a Miller or Kelsey is some unimaginable risk and way beneath Wake. Jeez we have some crazy ass fans.

I'd be happy with Beilein/Matta/Smart (although I don't think Smart is going to be successful) but we aren't hiring those guys. I have zero problem hiring an up and comer with more promise than experience, lots of energy, and acts like he has a clue about coaching college basketball players.

Why doesn't Forbes seem like a Wake guy to you?

If Wes Miller really has his eyes on the UNC job he wouldn't take the Wake job in my opinion. With his dad's connection to Wake Forest I just don't see him doing that.

Back