• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I think what is considered affordable may be changing rapidly. Going forward this is not going to be an economy where each big name coaching hire is asking for 100+% of the prior best numbers out there. The economic landscape of college athletics is going to be shifted dramatically going forward. What Currie has done is put us in a position to try to define that market against ZERO competition. Brilliant timing.

Which is why it was important to get this done now rather than later.

There is a "split the middle" possibility:
Because of Covid-19 social distancing, et al, Currie could be planning on using the search firm as more of a "leg man" to help him reach out and communicate with folks he's already identified.
This is slightly different from the normal where you let the search firm find, communicate, and reccomend/hire the candidate/s.
But that's just a guess, honestly.

Yep. And it also allows for a larger search. The firm could reach out beyond the LOWF list we’ve been discussing for years. We can identify coaches out there who have been eyeing this job as a high ceiling position once K, Roy, Hamilton, etc retire.

Pretty clear that WF is tapped out financially right now. It’s going to take every available dollar to get through this coaching transition. WF is not about to take on another massive public improvement project, like building a new basketball arena, any time soon.

Pretty clear that WF is tapped out financially right now. It’s going to take every available dollar to get through this coaching transition. WF is not about to take on another massive public improvement project, like building a new basketball arena, any time soon.
Hell. It's long been announced that Wake only has intentions of remodeling/renovating the Joel anyway.
Fact is, Wake *WANTS* the Joel... if they didn't, they wouldn't have desired to buy out the City Government in the first place.
(One could, admittedly, make the argument they wanted the land it sits on MORE)
Wake obviously has no interest in such provencal concepts as a dinky little 7k sardine can-sized stadium.

I don’t have any kids because all I want to focus on is evaluating college basketball coaches. I’d rather bring back Dino than hire Wes Miller

Anyone else worried about the whole Cavs thug incident with Beilein? other coaches would eat him up with negative recruiting. that was a bad look for Beilein. he might have a hard time connecting with parents and recruits after all that.

If you're someone who has posted that Beilein or Forbes would be bad choices for Wake Forest, but then advocate strongly to hire Wes Miller or Pat Kelsey, you should have your internet message board posting rights revoked forever.

Hell. It's long been announced that Wake only has intentions of remodeling/renovating the Joel anyway.
Fact is, Wake *WANTS* the Joel... if they didn't, they wouldn't have desired to buy out the City Government in the first place.
(One could, admittedly, make the argument they wanted the land it sits on MORE)
Wake obviously has no interest in such provencal concepts as a dinky little 7k sardine can-sized stadium.

To be clear, that was all during Wellman’s time. John hasn’t said any of that. Nor did he have input on the 7 million we flushed down the toilet buying the Joel when no one else was interested.

It will take him some time to deal with all the red tape. Just as this did. But it will happen.

Currie left Tennessee in 2009 so he was there for some of it. Forbes canned with Pearl in 2010 and got a one year show cause ban.

One article said Forbes didn’t lie and wasn’t at the cookout with the recruit

Beilein is a great coach, but he really showed his age over the last year. He had major issues relating to players in Cleveland (realize it was the NBA). I would prefer a younger candidate.

his flame out in CLE was typical college coach not working in the NBA stuff, not age stuff. his schtick, like a lot of college coaches, won't work with millionaires who actually have more power than him.

he would be a homerun hire.

I was. 168 different hoops stadiums to be exact. And also sitting places besides
Row 1.

I am talking about Wake games at the Joel, and secondly, at this years Duke home game there were tons of Duke fans, we really did not hear much from them because we were actually competing and they were in shock over the fact that they were not rolling over us. Just win and the crowd takes care of themselves and no ,we do not need a 7000 seat arena.

One article said Forbes didn’t lie and wasn’t at the cookout with the recruit

Both true. Forbes basically did nothing wrong, he got a 1 year show cause for saying he wasn't sure the Aaron Craft and Bruce Pearl cookout picture was real or fake. That's it, that's the whole story. People on here typing like it was some big scandal are ignorant or stupid.

I am talking about Wake games at the Joel, and secondly, at this years Duke home game there were tons of Duke fans, we really did not hear much from them because we were actually competing and they were in shock over the fact that they were not rolling over us. Just win and the crowd takes care of themselves and no ,we do not need a 7000 seat arena.

Yes, this years Duke game was pretty similar to games at the height. 1/2-2/3 full. Nice win though despite it.

So for those who say “the Crowd was great in the 90s”. You saw it first hand during this years duke game.

And to be clear about my point on the other stadiums, if you go to Wake games in the Joel and have basically hit up 4-5 other campus venues total over a couple decades, you really have no way to measure the impact that an atmosphere has for recruiting at places like Kansas.

If you think the Joel had a great atmosphere at this year’s Duke game, it’s only because you’ve spent too much time at the Joel.

Correct. All of that is completely for naught if the guy turns 70 that year. I�m not striving for the bubble.

I laugh at all the hatred for Coach Kelsey. Guy put his heart and soul into Wake. Basically ran the program during the Prosser era. He was the one who brought in the Tye Dye nation to an arena so poorly designed to have it. Then went and got to 2 NCAA tourneys as a head coach. And we �have to shut the program down� if we hire him? WTH is wrong with you people?

Do you know Pat? Go look at his twitter account. It�s a microcosm of who he is. He is exactly what we want.

See, there is the difference. To paraphrase Sean Connery, you want someone who tries his best. I want a winner.

We’ve had a decade of hiring folks who people argued would somehow miraculously become elite winning coaches once they get to Wake. That’s your plan. That hasn’t worked. I’d rather have somebody who is actually going to come in and win games.

We’ll probably choose your path, which is why our basketball program sucks and will continue to do so. But at least you can tell people you are friends with the coach!

In no world should it take a competent coach in the ACC 10 years to turn a program around with the facilities we have and basketball tradition we’ve had before the last decade.

Hell, a good coach should have us back in the NCAAT in 3 years. A really good coach would parlay that into perennial success from there.

Post [Redacted] disaster danny f'ng manning almost stumbled into the field of 64 in year 3. A competent coach would have had that team in easily and with room to spare.

10 years is ridiculous.

Things to consider when hiring a new coach:

Does he have a winning track record? (preferably longer than 2 seasons)
What is his offensive identity and philosophy?
What is his defensive identity and philosophy?
Does he have the ability to develop players progressively through both the season and off-season?
Does he have the ability to recruit at an ACC level?
Does he keep players in good academic standing/graduate players?
What is his NCAA tournament coaching experience?
When things go wrong, how does he adjust? (eliminate any coach who says "nothing")
Does he have a good personality that ignites and inspires coworkers, players, the fanbase, etc.?

Things not to consider:

Was he born rich or poor?
Has he previously been employed by Wake Forest or graduated from there?
Fond memories of him as a college player
One game samples

Yes, this years Duke game was pretty similar to games at the height. 1/2-2/3 full. Nice win though despite it.

So for those who say “the Crowd was great in the 90s”. You saw it first hand during this years duke game.

And to be clear about my point on the other stadiums, if you go to Wake games in the Joel and have basically hit up 4-5 other campus venues total over a couple decades, you really have no way to measure the impact that an atmosphere has for recruiting at places like Kansas.

If you think the Joel had a great atmosphere at this year’s Duke game, it’s only because you’ve spent too much time at the Joel.
You tend to work yourself to extremes, it would have been better to have 14000 Wake fans for the Duke game this year but the fact that you did not know there were so many Duke fans was because we were able to keep them quiet, a good team will do that, and your memory of the Joel in the period 1990 to 2007 or so is way different than mine but I don’t have the bias of wanting a 7000 seat arena. The reason the Joel was mentioned as so intimidating a place to play during that period(1990-2007)was partly due to the fact that the noise focuses down onto the court, something that I can say I have seen from row 1, further I was in a sold out Dean Dome that was like a tomb for the Wake Tarheel game Randoph’s senior year when we dusted them. It works both ways.

Back