• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Ok, so we had Beilein and then he asked for too much $$ so Currie said peace out. Wes has told the team he is back meaning he was not offered the job. This would conclude that Currie is already done and has decided on the next coach. Announcement tomorrow?
I've enjoyed Chill's two day run as coach better than almost any two days the past 10 years.

Chill will be the only bball HC in Wake history to have zero losses.

He's got that going for him.

So, Chaundee AND the Covid-19 economic depression fucked Beilein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heard from a tier 2 source at UNCG that Miller met with the team today and told them that he was returning. There was interest from Wake, but no indication if Wes turned the opportunity down or Wake is moving forward with another candidate.

Hope this is correct. Will make Currie push for the better candidates since a fallback option is out of the picture. Push for Matta, if he declines, give Forbes an irresistible offer.

RJ, hit me up on MySpace so I can vet your source.

Hope this is correct. Will make Currie push for the better candidates since a fallback option is out of the picture. Push for Matta, if he declines, give Forbes an irresistible offer.

It wouldn't be shocking if the difference between Matta's price and Forbes would be $1M+/year. Even with $1M/year, Matta could be a bargain.

in some ways hiring thad matta would allow us to come full circle from losing conley/oden which was a pivotal moment in the descent of our program

in some ways hiring thad matta would allow us to come full circle from losing conley/oden which was a pivotal moment in the descent of our program

And retiring GDO in the NCAAT.

Hey RJ, how much will we actually pay our next coach in 4-7 years ?

Okay, so the Manning buyout was less than what we were told by Goodman, we had Beilein in the bag but he wanted more money at the last minute, and we couldn't pay him what he wanted because of coaching salaries 7 years in the future, despite not having to pay an exorbitant buyout to get rid of Manning.

Have I got it right ?

DR should be able to confirm.

But I think Miller would have also been one most likely to come with a step by step plan based upon that one article that talked about the changes he got the admin to do at UNCG

If true, I suspect I would have heard that. Though to be clear, I haven’t been involved in this one. Otherwise you obviously wouldn’t see me posting.

Wes wouldn't turn down our job.

If true, Currie has offered/is in negotiations with our next coach. Wes is likely third on the list of prospective names, which means I'd guess either Matta or Forbes is the guy.

Again, that's if the source is correct.

Also Wes isn’t turning down the job to stay at UNCG so if he told the team he’s returning it’s because we told him we were going another direction or have someone set to go

As do I, but keep in mind we don't have any confirmation of anything. I hope Thunderbolt's "Tier 2 source" is correct... but, even if it is, it doesn't really mean too much. Miller might've interviewed, laid out his case, been turned down flat. Or he might've turned Wake down, crazy as that might seem. It might even been a "pro forma" interview where both sides knew it wasn't serious.

If true, I suspect I would have heard that. Though to be clear, I haven’t been involved in this one. Otherwise you obviously wouldn’t see me posting.

Have you been involved in other ones?

Have you been involved in other ones?

There are a couple of parties on the list that I haven’t represented. Clearly, I would not be a good choice to be involved in this in any way shape or form and would turn down calls on such—but to be clear my phone never rang on the topic.

There are a couple of parties on the list that I haven’t represented. Clearly, I would not be a good choice to be involved in this in any way shape or form and would turn down calls on such—but to be clear my phone never rang on the topic.

Interesting. Thanks.

Gotta make sure we get Daequan Cook in as an assistant first, then we'll get Matta.

Back