• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

All things considered, if we end up with Kelsey I am not going to be upset. The guys brings more energy to the sideline than we have had in a long time.

Damnit. Les getting Kelsey vibes.

As Pilchard has said, we should trust that this administration is going to find the best guy. So far, Currie is batting 1.000. He fired Paint Touches, he is being more communicative and transparent with the fan base, and he’s been able to increase energy (ticket sales) and excitement at football games. The AD gets to interview and ask questions that we don’t get to ask, and they have to get real authentic answers, or they’ll move on to somebody else. Your resume as a coach isn’t everything. A lot more goes into it than that, and most on here know that.

Coach Clawson obviously sold Mike Buddie (if Currie ends up not working out, he should be next up). It was clear Clawson was a winner, but he also understood what he would need to do at Wake to win. In basketball, it’s a little bit different. There definitely isn’t as much development in an NCAA basketball player in comparison to an NCAA football player at Wake. But there definitely needs to be an understanding that we have to have superb student athletes that also respect and understand the work that goes into being a STUDENT at Wake.

It doesn’t surprise me Kelsey is winning the interview. He gets it. He wants fans, energy, and Id assume he wants to bring Tye Die Nation (his creation) back. Don’t have preconceived ideas about the coach we end up hiring. Be excited and energized that this was a Currie hire, not a Wellman hire. And be energized because there’s really no where to go but up with all the candidates we’ve discussed. Be active, be supportive, and show out at the Joel next season, because if we don’t have a good atmosphere at the games, it’s going to be harder for the future coach to be successful.

All things considered, if we end up with Kelsey I am not going to be upset. The guys brings more energy to the sideline than we have had in a long time.
Kelsey : Manning :: Manning : [Redacted]

Just because he's different doesn't mean he's better.

What’s really going to be funny is when we hire someone I’ve never heard of. I’d never heard of bz and didn’t know Danny Manning was in coaching.

What’s really going to be funny is when we hire someone I’ve never heard of. I’d never heard of bz and didn’t know Danny Manning was in coaching.

truth. hope they end up sticking to any of the candidates we’re expecting and have discussed

As Pilchard has said, we should trust that this administration is going to find the best guy. So far, Currie is batting 1.000. He fired Paint Touches, he is being more communicative and transparent with the fan base, and he’s been able to increase energy (ticket sales) and excitement at football games. The AD gets to interview and ask questions that we don’t get to ask, and they have to get real authentic answers, or they’ll move on to somebody else. Your resume as a coach isn’t everything. A lot more goes into it than that, and most on here know that.

Coach Clawson obviously sold Mike Buddie (if Currie ends up not working out, he should be next up). It was clear Clawson was a winner, but he also understood what he would need to do at Wake to win. In basketball, it’s a little bit different. There definitely isn’t as much development in an NCAA basketball player in comparison to an NCAA football player at Wake. But there definitely needs to be an understanding that we have to have superb student athletes that also respect and understand the work that goes into being a STUDENT at Wake.

It doesn’t surprise me Kelsey is winning the interview. He gets it. He wants fans, energy, and Id assume he wants to bring Tye Die Nation (his creation) back. Don’t have preconceived ideas about the coach we end up hiring. Be excited and energized that this was a Currie hire, not a Wellman hire. And be energized because there’s really no where to go but up with all the candidates we’ve discussed. Be active, be supportive, and show out at the Joel next season, because if we don’t have a good atmosphere at the games, it’s going to be harder for the future coach to be successful.

Please no more tye die

If Kesley were good, Xavier would have hired him. Also he would have managed a top 100 team at some point.

Kelsey would be a huge letdown. He doesn't belong in ANY conversation that has the name "Matta" in it.

Winthrop is a top two program in that weak-ass conference. Kelsey maintained that level but he hardly pulled up any trees there

We all know how this goes. First the AD puts out feelers for this, then the DC illuminati are instructed to start preaching his praises.

Didn't you predict a month or so ago that Hatch would not approve a Manning termination?

I can confidently say that Kelsey or Miller would be a huge kick in the nuts. No thanks. If that's the best we can get, keep Randolph as interim for a year and expand the search and get more money from donors to get a legit coach at Wake...

Just to clarify: We can afford any coach we want. We only want coaches who want the amount of money we want to pay. Ok.

You can't be this dense.

Could we pay a 67yo $4-5M/year? Yep.

Would we want to? Maybe not.

Would we want to set up another hire at that price in five years or so when JB retires? Probably not.

How many schools replace a HC, who isn't a lifer there, for less money than the person who retires? I can't think of any or many.

Would we pay Matta $4M/year? Much more likely. He might be around 10-20 years.

I completely realize that it's much easier to attack RJ no matter what than it is to think strategically or rationally.

Back