• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I admit I was wrong about Giles, but I only repeated what I was told by people very close to the situation.

Amaker on campus today is 100% true. He’s there now.

7.5 mill buyout is true. Currie and co. negotiated it down to basically half.

Amaker has no personality at all. If you want class, he's your man. He's like the opposite of Wojo. I'd much rather have Wojo or Scheyer if we are going Dukie route.

Regardless of the COVID-19 environment, if you are a current D1 head coach, you are absolutely going to require a visit to campus before you accept a position as the head coach of another school.

Zoom isn't going to cut it.

Have to believe, as others have posted, that we're in Round 2 of the interview process and those guys will be coming to campus to kick the tires (while ostensibly staying 6 feet away from other humans). Not hard when campus is pretty much empty.

I would rather have a Kelsey over Amaker any day. Higher ceiling in my opinion and the guy has energy for days. Amaker strikes me as a good guy but low key. Not one to make a concerted effort to reach out to the fans and illicit any type of energy out of the fan base. If Amaker was reputed to be a fantastic coach, that would be one thing. But he seems to be an average P6 coach at best. If he is hired, I will give him a chance, obviously....but I won't deny that I will be very disappointed at the start.

They're probably still interviewing, y'all. Doesn't mean Amaker has accepted the job.

Correct. I imagine there will be more sightings over the next few days.

However, I would think the fact that he’s on campus would indicate he’s made it past phase one of the interview process. He’s probably in the final pool of candidates.

Remember when people posted a picture of a guy at a football game saying it was Shaka Smart and really it ended up being some guy in a minor role with a Wake sports team?

If Amaker is on campus I think best case it's between him and Kelsey and Kelsey hasn't driven(?) up yet

In 10 years of coaching in big conferences Amaker made it to the NCAAs 1 time. Proven loser. He has accomplished more at Harvard only because Harvard has a huge advantage over other Ivy schools basketball-wise. They basically give full athletic scholarships even though the Ivy league doesn't allow it, by guaranteeing players need-based financial assistance, which they almost always qualify for. They were the 1st Ivy to start doing that. Others have since followed suit and started recruiting better players, but Amaker came in with a huge advantage, and still hasn't been to the NCAAs the past 5 years there. Hard Pass.

I'm looking for a basketball version of Clawson, which Amaker is definitely NOT.

Correct. I imagine there will be more sightings over the next few days.

However, I would think the fact that he’s on campus would indicate he’s made it past phase one of the interview process. He’s probably in the final pool of candidates.

Please post up on campus to take pictures for the next couple of days.

I'd do it myself (lord knows I'm not doing any work this week), but I live in Atlanta and my wife would probably hurt me if I tried to leave her w/ the three kids.

As others have said, Amaker does nothing for me.

I don't believe Matta is coming, so Forbes is the clear #1 for me (and was last year as well).

I would rather have Kelsey over Amaker. My one concern with Kelsey is putting together a good assistant coaching staff. I think he has the energy, Xs and Os, and recruiting demeanor to do well.

7.5 mill buyout is true. Currie and co. negotiated it down to basically half.

The $7.5M "negotiated down" number only makes sense if the true number is somewhere in the $9M to $10M range.

Zero chance Manning and his reps agree to accept $0.50 on the dollar of what they are contractually owed even with the threat of extended litigation.

Back