• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Russell Turner has a solid resume. An assistant at Wake under Odom for six years. Six years assisting Mike Montgomery, four at Stanford and two for the Golden State Warriors. Four more years at Golden State under HOF coach Don Nelson. Five regular season championships in 10 years at UCI. Two Big West tournament championships. Big West Coach of the Year in 2014, 2017, 2019 and 2020. He may not be exciting but he has a quality resume and he wins championships.

Listening to people justify Kelsey, Turner, and Miller as good coaches is like listening to people justify Daniel Green and Richard Washington as good recruits.

This. People talk about his age but he is younger than Roy and Coach K.

He's also younger than Jim Boeheim, who is 75.

ETA:

If he was hired and coached until he is as old as Boeheim is now, he would be the third longest serving of any Men's basketball coach at the Reynolda campus.

Last edited:
This thread is way more fun with flight-aware speculation.

Flight left Smith Reynolds today at 7:54 a.m.. Currently en route to Little Rock, AR.

Musselman?

After playing pickup ball with Turner, one positive - he won't sit on his hands after a bad call is made

Chas McFarland has endorsed Kelsey as the next WF mens head coach FWIW!

I'm not suggesting we should hire a "Wake" guy, or even attempting to define what that is. I think I was the one who started that chain of responses and should have chosen my words more carefully. But listening to Forbes talk in interviews he sounds like someone who coaches a directional school in the south. Like someone who'd be fun to hang out with after hours at a local bar. I think he's a good coach and would be excited if we hired him. I think he could do a good job. But it would be an adjustment for him, too. He has worked at big state schools. Coaching at Wake is different. Just saying...

If he's offered and accepts I'd be excited. I just don't see it happening.

I know that if you scroll through this thread enough one major knock against Wake Forest has to be the fan base.

Wake's fans are no worse than any other fan bases. Except for being small. That's not going to change.

Forgive me if I am unconcerned with the opinion of a guy who was blowing Ryan Odom because he won 1 game.

Lol, good one. Still, Ryan Odom's a "good" coach. Ready for Wake, probably not...I admit I was wrong there. Still, it is just dumb to say those guys aren't good coaches.

Scrolling through Kenpom and looking up coaching salaries, we would be an upgrade in that aspect for a lot of great candidates.

Leaving their current situation for Wake is more of a sell than salary, however.

Not sure why we need to limit ourselves to those with WF ties. Surprise us John with a new name that doesn’t know anything about Wake but can coach. It is time for a clean sweep.

I don't get the Turner bashing. Yes, he is a mid major choice if you can't get a current power 5 level coach, but he checks alot of boxes.

1. P5 assistant including at Wake.
2. NBA assistant.
3. Took over a weak program in a conference and has turned it into the top dog. The last 7 years the worst UC Irvine has finished is 2nd.

He is universally considered one of the top mid-major coaches in the country.

The major concern is the transition from WC to EC recruiting.

What other ACC school would be happy with our list excluding Beinlein and Matta ? Clawson would be a better example of how to proceed with the search.

Appears some names of people who have interviewed could be dropping very soon.

Back