• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

This is about where I’m at. Kelsey wouldn’t completely break my heart but there’s too much risk involved. He understands WF and has recruiting ties but still would be very risky, which we can’t afford. I guess I’d consider him a boom or bust.

Anyone outside of Matta will be a boom or bust. Success at mid-majors does not automatically mean success at a power conference school. Miller, Forbes, all would come with huge risks. If Wake wants to right the ship, and right it relatively quickly, they give Matta what he wants, if he's interested at all. You don't turn your nose up to him because he happened to win less than 20 games his last year at tOSU when your program hasn't sniffed 20 wins in over a decade.

Three time Big Ten Coach of the Year has a nice ring to it. Sign him up John!

Don’t understand the Amaker hate. He’s much more qualified than Wes and Kelsey IMO.

To do what? Win 55% of his games and go to the tourney once a decade? Look at his record from SHU and UM - he's got the lowest ceiling of anyone in the group. Hard pass.

Which candidates already currently live in a reasonable driving distance to Wake forest?

“We just lost one of the all-time great people in coaching,” Matta said. “Skip Prosser was a great coach and an even better human being. He was one of the most helpful people I’ve ever been around. While I was at Xavier, Coach Prosser was the first person I’d call if I had a problem. He knew instantly where to steer me to help me succeed. When I was considering the job at Ohio State he gave me advice throughout the process. He told me he would crawl to Ohio State to take the job.”

Great quote by Matta about Skip. Also some disparaging Thad because he is just sitting on sidelines taking a check while not coaching might not know the exact issues surrounding his health the last few years. Heck if the health is related to stress then WF is quite possibly the best Power conf. team to coach as clearly we put no pressure on our coaches to actually put results on the floor and yet he can go head to head against top teams in country. He could get back into coaching in an environment where it is really about student athletes and he can get an all star staff around him to recruit and do a lot of the grunt work while he runs the xs and os and clearly his reputation would be a monster boost to recruiting. Would be an absolute major winner if Currie could reel him in and think it might just make a lot of sense for both parties.

You have been paying attention.

I believe Matta is Currie's target. The search firm assisting Currie has ties to Matta. I doubt this is a coincidence.

Don’t understand the Amaker hate. He’s much more qualified than Wes and Kelsey IMO.

My take would be that we've seen Amaker try to reach his ceiling at Michigan and it was kind of blah. The other two represent young guns which have yet to reveal their ceilings. If Wake is not going to hire Matta, I think many would prefer a Forbes, Miller or Kelsey as they would all be a chance to strike gold.
Also Amaker seems a bit reserved like Manning where the 3 young guns at least will show emotion while losing. They will own a shitty team and believe we would see their pain in trying to get better. The past 10 years has been oblivious to their own flaws and been nothing but the players' faults. That simple change is going to go a long way with me.

Doesn’t hurt for some of our favorite sons to get their names mentioned in the national sports media. Boost their chances for a better coaching opportunity net time.

Anyone outside of Matta will be a boom or bust. Success at mid-majors does not automatically mean success at a power conference school. Miller, Forbes, all would come with huge risks. If Wake wants to right the ship, and right it relatively quickly, they give Matta what he wants, if he's interested at all. You don't turn your nose up to him because he happened to win less than 20 games his last year at tOSU when your program hasn't sniffed 20 wins in over a decade.

If we were to by some wild stretch land Matta I'm sure it would be with zero strings attached from our side. He has all the leverage. We royally f**ked this thing up for over a decade so I don't think he'll need much input on what needs fixing.

Kind of like getting a PGA Tour Player to play on your company captain's choice golf team. Ummm.... We won't be using any of your drives so save your tees, back and some shred of pride. :)

Odom’s next stop should be at a SoCon school IMO. America East to SoCon to P6 seems reasonable. Alternatively an ECU or CUSA type school could work as a second stop.

Beilein out due to $$$$. He wanted too much.

If they gave him a lot, when we replace him in 4-7 years, the next guy would want to paid close to the same amount.

We have the money for Beilein. Do we want a 3-5 year coach?

My guess is this is our list now that Shaka is not going to be let out of his cotnract:

1. Matta
2. Beilien
3. Forbes (most likely)
4. Kelsey
5. Miller

As I said on another thread, if you read between the lines of Currie's statement about the buyout number, it looks like money isn't going to stop us from hiring whomever we want.

Between the lines in Currie's statement is money is not an issue for this hire.

What changed in the last 36 hours?

Only on a WFU board would people be talking down the possibility of hiring a coach with 2 final hours and a lot of other success. If Matta wants the job, Wake absolutely should hire him. You don't turn him down for UNCG's coach.

This. Catching up on about 7 pages worth since mid-day and all of a sudden a group of Matta skeptics. What? I like Forbes and Kelsey, but absolute no brainier if Matta's interested.

Odom’s next stop should be at a SoCon school IMO. America East to SoCon to P6 seems reasonable. Alternatively an ECU or CUSA type school could work as a second stop.
Atlantic-10 works, but he may have blown that by backing out of UMass.

The only person I’d be disappointed with would be Amaker. Every single other guy mentioned I’d be excited about. Matta, Kelsey, Miller, Forbes, all of them. I do not understand why we would go after Amaker. Please no Currie.

My take would be that we've seen Amaker try to reach his ceiling at Michigan and it was kind of blah. The other two represent young guns which have yet to reveal their ceilings. If Wake is not going to hire Matta, I think many would prefer a Forbes, Miller or Kelsey as they would all be a chance to strike gold.
Also Amaker seems a bit reserved like Manning where the 3 young guns at least will show emotion while losing. They will own a shitty team and believe we would see their pain in trying to get better. The past 10 years has been oblivious to their own flaws and been nothing but the players' faults. That simple change is going to go a long way with me.

He didn’t have a great run at Michigan, but it wasn’t terrible. He has a resume similar to Shaka, just with more stops. He’s not even one of my top 3 options, but I wouldn’t be upset if he were the guy.

What changed in the last 36 hours?

How much money he demanded.

Money not being an issue is a term that is relative. Can we afford to pay Matta or Beilein $3-5M?years? Yes.

Would we want to pay a 67 yo coach $5M or $4M? Maybe not.

How much money he demanded.

Money not being an issue is a term that is relative. Can we afford to pay Matta or Beilein $3-5M?years? Yes.

Would we want to pay a 67 yo coach $5M or $4M? Maybe not.

So, it's an issue ?

Back