• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

It appears we did miss the window on Wes Miller some time ago. I have messages this morning (and yesterday) from multiple former prominent players at Wake, UNC, and UNCG all saying Wes turned down interest from WF this month and, in particular, over the last 48 hours.

Let me emphasize what I am not saying:
(1) I have not spoken at all this month with anyone with the last name Miller.
(2) I have no indication that WF made a formal offer to Miller.

While Miller will remain at UNCG, who knows whether he will move on somewhere else. But for those who didn't want anything to do with Wes Miller and UNCG, it appears you certainly got your wish.

My take/speculation is Miller (1) sees the limits with the WF job first hand (2) even if he doesn't get the UNC job, will take his chances elsewhere (3) probably was not happy somewhere along the way with Wellman/WF and (4) didn't desire to sign up for a situation where folks bring up his Father all the time as a reason for his success. Frankly, I can't blame him.

I do also have folks connected with Matta telling me there has been mutual interest. Currie and Matta have known each other for some time and there is respect between the two. Matta is healthy and interested in our job in particular because of the age of K, Roy, and Boeheim. Folks I have spoken to really like Thad.

I also have had a myriad of former WF players rallying behind Kelsey. I am behind Kelsey as well and think he would bring the passion we need at Wake as he did previously.

That's all I have this morning. Enjoy!

This lines up with what I heard. The way Wes spoke to the team, it was presented that he declined the Wake job.

Not that there was a formal offer, but he removed his name from consideration.

This lines up with what I heard. The way Wes spoke to the team, it was presented that he declined the Wake job.

That makes a lot more sense.
I have a hard time believing he'd turn down a direct offer.
Pulling his name from consideration on his own is far more logical.

He would have been a bzd like hire. Half the fanbase immediately apocalyptic. Smart of him

Would expect that Miller removed his name from consideration as Currie is close to sealing a deal. Matta? Forbes??

If Miller is out then at least one dispute is settled. If Matta is healthy and serious, we should take him. And I sincerely hope that Matta is financially possible. If not Matta, then Beilein, whom I really like and would be a good fit for Wake, but is, unfortunately, a bit long in the tooth. In any event, with the current state of our program, we need a guy with a proven record at the ACC level and the ability to win from the start. I am not particularly interested in ritually invoking wait till next year for the next couple of years. Been there, and done that more than I care to remember. No more, please. We have spent more than enough time in purgatory; it's time for heaven.

There is a small part of me, deep down, that hopes we hire Miller.

RJ thinks he is a terrible candidate, which is a positive indicator for his future success.
donaldross would have to eat a little crow.

All due respect to both posters, but that's a double-whammy.

RJ thinks he is a terrible candidate, which is a positive indicator for his future success.

We need to go for the Michael Scott Win-Win-Win though....

Believe me, there is nothing more I'd like to eat then some crow and have us hire Miller. Sadly, it appears my fear was correct a few years ago that you snooze you lose. We wouldn't let the kid walk on. Then we didn't show him any love. Then RJ and so many here and elsewhere in the WF world indicted him. He heard that no doubt. He also heard all the UNC folks praising him.

We shall see but my prediction is, as it has been, that Pat Kelsey is the long term WF coach and Wes Miller is the long term UNC coach.

Believe me, there is nothing more I'd like to eat then some crow and have us hire Miller. Sadly, it appears my fear was correct a few years ago that you snooze you lose. We wouldn't let the kid walk on. Then we didn't show him any love. Then RJ and so many here and elsewhere in the WF world indicted him. He heard that no doubt. He also heard all the UNC folks praising him.

We shall see but my prediction is, as it has been, that Pat Kelsey is the long term WF coach and Wes Miller is the long term UNC coach.

I’m sure this has covered,but why in the hell wasnt Wes allowed to walk on given family connections? Plus, he was a pretty good player seeing the court at UNC. Failure all around there.

With no info from the Wake side, my gut feeling is we have a three person list:

Matta
Forbes
Kelsey - especially with the leaked info that he did well in the interview and Currie's focus on having a detailed plan to return Wake to respectability

I am fine with any of those, with slightly diminishing excitement as we go down the list.

I have a lot of connections with ETSU, and while I can't predict success here, everyone there loves Forbes both as a coach and member of the community.

I’m sure this has covered,but why in the hell wasnt Wes allowed to walk on given family connections? Plus, he was a pretty good player seeing the court at UNC. Failure all around there.

Skip preferred elite athletes, and Wes wasn't one. This is probably the same reason Skip passed on Curry, when he had a chance to sign him. In addition, with Wes, Skip feared pressure to play him because of his family's influence with Wake, and he didn't want that either.

For what it’s worth, Kelsey has a much better resume than Keatts at the time he was hired by State.

Were I Miller, I wouldn’t want to coach at Wake either, if true - too much attached to the name there.

The rumor Beilein asked for too much $$$ is definitely out there.

Could be total bullshit... but it's out there.

how do you sign Danny Manning for billions but balk at Beilein's ask? That's like CV19 math... it doesn't make sense...

Skip preferred elite athletes, and Wes wasn't one. This is probably the same reason Skip passed on Curry, when he had a chance to sign him. In addition, with Wes, Skip feared pressure to play him because of his family's influence with Wake, and he didn't want that either. Similarly, Skip did not want Len Chappell's son due to lack of athleticism and possible outside pressure based on the kid being the son of a Wake legend.

miller would be a terrible choice and you dont have any connections to matta either.

For what it’s worth, Kelsey has a much better resume than Keatts at the time he was hired by State.

I disagree that it’s much better. Keatts was an assistant for a national championship team, won three regular season CAA titles in three years at Wilmington and made the tournament twice there. The CAA was the 12th rated and 10th rated overall conference his last two years while Keatts had Wilmington as a top 60 KP team his last year.

Kelsey has P5 experience on the bench at Wake and was associate head coach for four years at Xavier before staying at Winthrop now for 8 years. He’s made one tournament (wouldve been two this year) and the years he made it his team wasn’t top 100 in KP (never finished in the top 100 actually) and his conference was the fifth worst and third worst in the nation.

Yeah, I've heard a few folks talking up Miller and Kelsey's "years" of experience as a HC. I just see a red flag that they are still at the same crappy school after all this time.

Keatt's resume was much better IMO.

Hell at least Miller has a competitive team overall in an up and coming conference. Kelsey receives credit for winning and going to the tourney but this last year here’s the KP rank for big south team: 140, 186, 218, 262, 302, 308, 318, 319, 325, 335, 341.

I mean come on man.

Back