• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Rivals has an update posted... Behind a paywall (and with a picture of Wes Miller).

I pay for Les, but not Rivals.

Rivals has an update posted... Behind a paywall (and with a picture of Wes Miller).

I pay for Les, but not Rivals.

Pretty sure the Rivals guy has less connections to the program than RJ. Likely just a summary of everything he's read here and on 247.

If he interviewed with them and wasn’t offered a job, why wasn’t he?

If he interviewed with them and was offered a job, why didn’t he take it? Would he rather just take the OSU check?

If they didn’t interview him, why didn’t they?

He was required to interview to keep the osu money coming in. If his health was still poor he, presumably, would not take a job while hoping/working to recover.
He calls an AD with a job opening and says "prob not going to take it but would love to discuss it." That AD gets press about interviewing Matta. That's good even if he know Matta is not ready to coach.
You seem to not like Matta for wfu coach for some reason. Something in particular?

Sure. But he would have to prove himself a lot more than he has so far at UNC-G, no disrespect to him. He's just not a serious UNC candidate for at least the next 7-10 years and maybe not ever depending on how he fares in Greensboro andat his next stop.

A simply google search of “who will replace Roy Williams” or “who is UNC basketballs next Coach” reveals many articles on the topic. Nearly every one has Wes near the top of the list. So, to be direct, you are wrong. He may never end up at UNC. There were many here who said he would never be a candidate at Wake out of uncg either. And, as the last 3 days shows, they were demonstrably wrong too.

Correct, I subscribe to Rivals as well and am going to cancel after the coaching search - solely waiting it out to see if he falls into a nugget of good info.

His main sources of information are other coaches in the ACC, who wouldn't know much of anything about the Wake bball search. So far, he's posted these coaches' takes on who would be a good fit and who wouldn't be.

His "info" also directly contradicts Les, which is another good sign that he's full of shit.

Hello?
Hey Wes its bobby lutz.
Great to hear from you. How are you?
Good. Good. If you have a moment I have a few thoughts about the wake job.
So... take my hat out of the ring? Yeah, the next round of offers will come pouring in. You can write your own ticket.

I looked at InsideCarolina and was surprised that their fans are indeed excited about the prospect of Wes Miller, although many of him want to go somewhere else first.

That said, let's be clear, it is not typical for bluebloods to hire from the Southern Conference (or other conferences that are part of that tier). UCLA hired from the AAC, Indiana hired from the A10, UConn hired from the A10 and Louisville from the Big East. I don't believe any power conference program has hired directly from the Southern Conference until Virginia Tech last year.

I asked a buddy who is a huge Carolina fan, and smart, and reasonable, and super into all this stuff, who would be on his list post-Roy, and it was terrible. Like, he had absolutely no clue. Shit can go wrong at UNC, as we've seen, but I think they 1) don't pay attention to other college basketball programs that much other than how they match up with UNC, 2) just assume whoever they'll get will be awesome because they're UNC, so they'll always be cool.

Like, this guy is a huge basketball fan, but I don't think many of their fans look at other programs and wonder how that coach would do at UNC, or how he's even gotten to the point of his career and how that would translate. They mainly think about going to the Final 4 every year and just assume that will continue.

Long way of saying UNC fans I've spoken to don't know shit about who they really want for their next coach, or who would even be good. They are distracted by the immediate success right in front of their face. And are often dicks about it, though I know a few decent ones.

If I'm serious about hiring Matta, I would want him to undergo an in depth review and physical exam by the best neurologist and neurosurgeon I know and trust. Given Matta's public medical issues, I want to know if he is physically able to perform the very demanding job of head basketball coach.

I asked a buddy who is a huge Carolina fan, and smart, and reasonable, and super into all this stuff, who would be on his list post-Roy, and it was terrible. Like, he had absolutely no clue. Shit can go wrong at UNC, as we've seen, but I think they 1) don't pay attention to other college basketball programs that much other than how they match up with UNC, 2) just assume whoever they'll get will be awesome because they're UNC, so they'll always be cool.

Like, this guy is a huge basketball fan, but I don't think many of their fans look at other programs and wonder how that coach would do at UNC, or how he's even gotten to the point of his career and how that would translate. They mainly think about going to the Final 4 every year and just assume that will continue.

Long way of saying UNC fans I've spoken to don't know shit about who they really want for their next coach, or who would even be good. They are distracted by the immediate success right in front of their face. And are often dicks about it, though I know a few decent ones.

When K and Roy retire, there will certainly be a time frame for other programs to ascend above them. Neither school has a clear head coach in waiting that seems special. Of all the hall of fame coaches, Boeheim has the best replacement option in Mike Hopkins if he comes back east.

If I'm serious about hiring Matta, I would want him to undergo an in depth review and physical exam by the best neurologist and neurosurgeon I know and trust. Given Matta's public medical issues, I want to know if he is physically able to perform the very demanding job of head basketball coach.

Matta is so far ahead in coaching ability from most of the list, sans maybe Forbes, that if he walked like Verbal Kint he would still be a better option.

When K and Roy retire, there will certainly be a time frame for other programs to ascend above them. Neither school has a clear head coach in waiting that seems special. Of all the hall of fame coaches, Boeheim has the best replacement option in Mike Hopkins if he comes back east.

Yeah, I'm not saying this guy is right not to worry, just that I don't think many UNC fans are even thinking about who their next coach will be like we have been for the last decade. So those saying Wes Miller it's just because they see a name they recognize with a connection who is currently coaching college ball, and are like, SURE, Wes, maybe. They don't have dudes doing deep dives on Forbes and John Brannen and shit. I doubt they know who Steve Forbes is.

This has been one of the more frustrating parts of the last 11 years. We've been lucky that no one has started retiring yet. We still have time to get our program in shape to compete when those programs make a change.

Back