• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

All this talk about Miller and whether he withdrew. Does it make sense that he interviewed and was told, "If you accept this job, it will be in your contract that you cannot move from Wake Forest to another ACC school," and he was not willing to go farther because of that stipulation? I know, if I were Currie, I would insist on that being in the contract.

If Beilein truly is not an option, go for Matta. Get someone who can right the ship and get it refitted. If his health requires him to retire again soon, so be it. It will be much easier to hire a good coach into that situation than the current one. Currently SS Wake Forest Basketball is listing heavily, rudderless, dis-masted and leaking badly. She needs the right experienced captain to get her back to sailing upright.

Something all the geniuses here are forgetting about is the people who replace K and Roy will be entering a new world of college basketball. For the past 50+ years, those schools have selected their players rather recruited other than against each other. They weren't in the same markets as most of the rest of the country. They basically couldn't miss in acquiring new players.

With the NBA CBA, most of the top HSers will go to some version of the NBA/G-League. Going to college for them will be looked down upon as those players will be a year or two behind in professional preparedness. The next coach at UNC will have to be an excellent recruiter and more importantly able to identify talent. It's likely they will have a bunch of misses in signings.

A Wes Miller may need to prove a lot more than he has to be picked at UNC.

Something all the geniuses here are forgetting about is the people who replace K and Roy will be entering a new world of college basketball. For the past 50+ years, those schools have selected their players rather recruited other than against each other. They weren't in the same markets as most of the rest of the country. They basically couldn't miss in acquiring new players.

With the NBA CBA, most of the top HSers will go to some version of the NBA/G-League. Going to college for them will be looked down upon as those players will be a year or two behind in professional preparedness. The next coach at UNC will have to be an excellent recruiter and more importantly able to identify talent. It's likely they will have a bunch of misses in signings.

A Wes Miller may need to prove a lot more than he has to be picked at UNC.

If you ever sit still for a second and ponder why other posters shit on you for often no reason - these type of opening clauses are part of the reason.

You are not smarter than everybody else and you are not dumber than everybody else. You are louder than most, but that fact has zero correlation to information or smarts.

Yes, a battered spouse oft flinches when no strike is coming, but come one, man. I don't see how or why this is the thread to pick fights and stick out your chin. Calm down.

Last edited:
Thad Matta could turn this program around immediately. He’s a good enough coach to take even just the current roster led by Sarr and make us a competitive middle-of-the-pack ACC team. And he’s a good enough recruiter - we saw with OCC what he can do, plus he has major credibility now - to get top-tier kids in here quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if we made the tourney in the first year under Matta, and I’d be shocked if we didn’t make it his second year.

When Roy faints a few more times and finally retires, don't see UNC is f-ing around with mid-major coaches. Kentucky and Kansas don't waste their time with potential; they hire coaches who they know will get the job done. UNC is arguably an even more attractive job than those schools.

The first call from the UNC decision-makers is going to Brad Stevens agent. I can see Stevens going back to college basketball at some point, and he knows that he could win multiple Nattys at UNC. If Stevens doesn't want to return to college at that time (or has already taken a job like Kansas), literally every great coach is on the table for them (Chris Holtmann, Chris Mack, Mark Few, Dana Altman, NBA guys with college experience). UNC should have learned from the Matt Doherty debacle that it makes no sense to limit yourself to coaches with an UNC connection as that is about the only way the UNC program can crater.

Miller's only shot at UNC would be to get at least on the level of a VCU, Seton Hall or Butler, and stringing a few successful seasons together there. I don't see the timeline working out for Miller on that plan where Miller would be UNC's next coach as I would put the over under on Roy leaving UNC at 3.5, and don't see Miller getting that next job and adding to his resume at his next coaching stop by the time UNC is looking. Miller's only 37. So, maybe he will be a legit candidate for UNC by the time the coach that succeeds Roy is ready to leave, but Miller won't have the credentials for the UNC job soon enough to succeed old Roy.

As for Duke, K is picking his successor, and like almost every job where a legend leaves, his successor is doomed to fail. Of all of K's "guys", always had the feeling that Amaker was the one he was closest too. So, my guess is that Tommy will get the job, and Duke will decline. Maybe, at that point, Duke's decision-makers will realize that its stupid to limit the pool of coaching candidates to just K's brood, but as long as they limit the pool, that's good for everyone else.

Fastest way to tank an elite program is to exclude the very best options to lead that program. Bama learned this in football. Initially after Bear left, Bama tried to hire "Bama" guys with poor results (for them); then, they just said "f-it", lets just get the best coach, even if he has no Bama connections, even if he used to coach LSU, and Bama has never looked back.

Last edited:
All this talk about Miller and whether he withdrew. Does it make sense that he interviewed and was told, "If you accept this job, it will be in your contract that you cannot move from Wake Forest to another ACC school," and he was not willing to go farther because of that stipulation? I know, if I were Currie, I would insist on that being in the contract.

Seems kind of overbroad- I'm not sure a North Carolina employer can prevent someone from taking a job in, say, Massachusetts.

I'm leaning toward wanting Matta, the big time winner even with health issues. If things go south for him, I don't see him just hanging on for dear life like Manning did.

Another complication for the media in this coaching search, the WFU campus is locked down. No one can hang outside the buildings seeing who is coming or going. They can parachute in a coaching candidate if they want. There is a lot of "I'm hearing blah blah blah", but nobody knows if its the truth. Wake Forest sports has always locked down their info leaks.

Doubtful. Much more likely its some combination of Miller knowing he was a backup plan and not wanting to deal with the talk about how his Dad got him the job. Really makes sense that both sides would have reservations. I do not believe he offered the job and the ability to later move to UNC was a sticking point.

Seems kind of overbroad- I'm not sure a North Carolina employer can prevent someone from taking a job in, say, Massachusetts.

Why can’t you if the employee is willing to enter into that agreement as part of the contract terms?

As for Duke, K is picking his successor, and like almost every job where a legend leaves, his successor is doomed to fail. Of all of K's "guys", always had the feeling that Amaker was the one he was closest too. So, my guess is that Tommy will get the job, and Duke will decline. Maybe, at that point, Duke's decision-makers will realize that its stupid to limit the pool of coaching candidates to just K's brood, but as long as they limit the pool, that's good for everyone else.

I was certain that Chris Collins would be their guy after he took Northwestern to the tournament, but they've fallen back to Earth and the shine has come off.

Why can’t you if the employee is willing to enter into that agreement as part of the contract terms?

Well if it violates public policy it’s not generally going to stand up under scrutiny. Most states require non competes to be reasonable in scope and duration - where the entire Atlantic seaboard is well beyond reasonable in scope.

Back