• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Dino succeeded

Ok, but he also had prior HC experience. Still, I give you that. Which brings me back to the Kelsey hate...I don't understand why Skip assistants like Dino and Mack succeeded but somehow another Skip assistant would fail. It's like there's an anti-Kelsey narrative that many folks on here have to defend. So odd.

Last edited:
Dino WHAT???????????????????????

Army Cadets (Patriot League) (1993–1997)
1993–94 Army 7–20 4–10 T–7th
1994–95 Army 12–16 4–10 7th
1995–96 Army 7–20 2–10 6th
1996–97 Army 10–16 4–8 6th
Army: 36–72 (.333) 14–38 (.269)
Loyola Greyhounds (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) (1997–2000)
1997–98 Loyola 12–16 9–9 T–5th
1998–99 Loyola 13–15 6–12 9th
1999–00 Loyola 7–21 4–14 9th
Loyola: 32–52 (.381) 19–35 (.352)
Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2007–2010)
2007–08 Wake Forest 17–13 7–9 T–7th
2008–09 Wake Forest 24–7 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I First Round
2009–10 Wake Forest 20–11 9–7 5th NCAA Division I Second Round
Wake Forest: 61–31 (.663) 27–21 (.563)
Total: 129–155 (.454)

Greg Gard is a good call...but a bit of a cheat since he was promoted from within. And I was looking for the last 10-15 years...Roy 30 years ago, but I'll give you that one too. Now someone go find the next Roy Williams on a current staff!

He finished higher than 5th in conference once, with Skip's players in his whole fucking career.

Again, like Gard, Izzo is from within and over 20 years ago. I'm looking for plucked from one P6 and turned around another. Has to be a turn around, right...so that were appropriately comparing the current situation.

Is no one mentioning LeVelle Moton, the NCCU coach? The Raleigh sports talk shows have been talking him up some as a Wake candidate. He checks some of the boxes. He's taken NCCU to the Tourney four times and was on track to get NCCU there this year. He has a lot of NC roots and connections having grown up in Raleigh and played and coached in Durham. I believe he is about 45 y.o. and has been a head coach for over a decade. NCCU is certainly not the ACC, but he knows the recruiting footprint.

Can someone please explain why an old white guy flew to Winston Salem from Naples Florida just to pick up a goddamn package?

Ok, but he also had prior HC experience. Still, I give you that. Which brings me back to the Kelsey hate...I don't understand why Skip assistants like Dino and Mack succeeded but somehow another Skip assistant would fail. It's like there's an anti-Kelsey narrative that many folks on here have to defend. So odd.

It isn't like we are the only ones who aren't blown away. The best job offer he has ever gotten (presumably) is UMass.

It is also hard to talk yourself into a low major hire when that program has had a more successful coach not that long ago. We know that Kelsey is not as good as Gregg Marshall. That's obviously a high bar, but it is a lot more satisfying to hire a coach who is clearly the best in program history (e.g., Steve Forbes) vs one who is clearly second-best.

The anti-Kelsey narrative IS his experience. His team's haven't made a huge jump. He walked away from a "next step" job at the last minute. His D sucks.

Gregg Marshall showed that Winthrop has a much higher ceiling than Kelsey has managed to reach.

Again, like Gard, Izzo is from within and over 20 years ago. I'm looking for plucked from one P6 and turned around another. Has to be a turn around, right...so that were appropriately comparing the current situation.
Man, you just keep moving the goal posts and making it more and more specific. Can I play?

Name one mid-major assistant who returned to a P6 school where he was once an assistant to lead a turnaround, while never getting his mid-major into the Top 100 and failing to come close to matching the potential the mid-major had shown under a previous coach.

I can add additional stipulations if needed to make it a more appropriate comparison...

Back