• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Either way, painting JUCOs as a Forbes thing is super weird. A lot of mid-major coaches use JUCOs and then turn to more conventional recruiting at bigger jobs. Add in that Forbes has prior experience doing high-level HS recruiting at three different schools, and it's just ignorant excuse-making from people too lazy to research. (I'm talking about posters here making incredibly dumb guesses, not the AD, who I think would be smart enough to understand all this.)

I have a hard time believing Currie negotiated a buyout in half and fired Manning during a worldwide pandemic to hire Tommy Amaker. He understands the fanbase more than our past administration.

I also had this thought. Hopefully it’s correct

just asking for someone with a personality and some fire in their belly. Not too much to ask for someone to inspire the players and fan base.

I have a hard time believing Currie negotiated a buyout in half and fired Manning during a worldwide pandemic to hire Tommy Amaker. He understands the fanbase more than our past administration.

THIS makes so much sense, it must be wrong.

I'm now prepared to be disappointed by this hire. I'm not going to try and sell myself on the coach of UNCG, Liberty, Winthrop, or UMBC. Or a fucking Dukie. Sorry. Imagine typing those schools a decade ago. Hopefully DR is as full of shit as he usually is because if he's not we're just fucked.

I'm now prepared to be disappointed by this hire. I'm not going to try and sell myself on the coach of UNCG, Liberty, Winthrop, or UMBC. Or a fucking Dukie. Sorry. Imagine typing those schools a decade ago. Hopefully DR is as full of shit as he usually is because if he's not we're just fucked.

I've been prepared all along. We can't have nice things for MBB for whatever reason.

Yep.

I'll only say this:

Coach K publicly supported Wake hiring [Redacted].

Later, he praised the hiring of [Paint Touches].

Now, it's said he called Wake and recommended Amaker.

STOP TAKING ADVISE FROM COACH K. HE'S FUCKING TROLLING.

The notion that someone isn't an "academic guy" after Manning graduated virtually no one in six years embodies the Wake administration's aloofness and hypocrisy

Just to address this because it keeps coming up: there's a difference between policy and outcomes and they are both important. Manning is committed to academics in that he says the right things and prioritizes school in the lives of his athletes. At the same time, and for mostly different reasons, his players aren't graduating from Wake.

I don't get the negativity towards Miller on here. I think he would be a really good hire.

I definitely prefer Matta/Forbes over him, but he's a clear No. 3 for me and I would not be upset with that at all.

The notion that someone isn't an "academic guy" after Manning graduated virtually no one in six years embodies the Wake administration's aloofness and hypocrisy

Our APR is in the toilet...the lowest of any sport at Wake and one of the worst in the ACC. Manning recruited a number of kids from online schools and athletics factories who struggled to qualify, some taking until late summer to get the needed scores. There have been multiple suspensions rumored to be academics related. Then again, that could be the only reason we were able to get rid of Manning.

Goodman has Miller or Forbes.
donaldross has Amaker or Kelsey
I don't know know who Les has listed

Will be interesting to see who has the sauces

I’m still going with DR and Conor who have Miller and Forbes out. I’m predicting Kelsey.

I don't get the negativity towards Miller on here. I think he would be a really good hire.

I definitely prefer Matta/Forbes over him, but he's a clear No. 3 for me and I would not be upset with that at all.

My concern is who his dad is. If he comes to Wake and fails, how long a leash does he get? He may come in and kill it and that'd be great but what if he doesn't?

ETA: That is also my concern with Odom and Kelsey since they have ties to Wake in some form.

Would put Kelsey and Odom in that category--they would just be uninspiring hires. It is disturbing that those three encompass half of the list.

I’d be cautiously optimistic about Kelsey (given how much former players love him) but that’s it.

And that track record with Manning was explicitly mentioned when he was dismissed. I could easily see our administration putting a premium on academic track record.

Back