• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

miller is one of the few guys with the potential to be a GREAT coach for 30 years that we can hire before he turns 40 and have a good chance of keeping him for 30 years

miller is one of the few guys with the potential to be a GREAT coach for 30 years that we can hire before he turns 40 and have a good chance of keeping him for 30 years

this is a fucking pipedream, though

show me the number of times this has happened in the last 30 years

Dabo Swinney is an Alabama alum and played for the Tide.... I'll take a wild guess that most Clemson fans could not care less.

I don't know if Miller is right for the job but, at this point, I'd love to see some actual progress and eventually WINS!!!! Lots of WINS!!!

You are absolutely correct on Dabo!!!

0-3 vs. the guy we just fired....by accident, he should have beaten Danny at least once.

I 110% agree with Larry Russell, we should not hire no g.d. Tar Heel.

Hell, I have even heard some Wake fans say they have grown tired of seeing the replays of Randolph's crossover on McInnis during timeouts of our TV games. Just think how it will be if we hire Miller and we have to put up with seeing little Wes kissing Ole Roy's baby blue butt during every timeout of Wake games on TV.

I don't get this position at all. I'm no great fan of Wes Miller but if he's the best candidate we think we can get, WTF cares where he went to college? Why would that be relevant at all? Maybe thicker skin is required.

Do you guys know what number Wes wore at UNC? Do you know who gave him his first job as an assistant coach? I am not worried about his loyalties.

My only concern is that he is uncomfortable working in a building with his family name on it.

Is it possible that his contract could include a clause preventing him from opportunities at other ACC schools (or one ACC school)?

Sure we could ask, but I don't know why we make that a dealbreaker if Miller is the coach we want. If Miller wins enough at Wake that the Heels want him in 5-10 years, I suspect we'd all be pretty fucking ecstatic about how much he has turned around our program.

I don't get this position at all. I'm no great fan of Wes Miller but if he's the best candidate we think we can get, WTF cares where he went to college? Why would that be relevant at all? Maybe thicker skin is required.

If 164-126 in SoCon is the best candidate we can hire, we should do that.

this is a fucking pipedream, though

show me the number of times this has happened in the last 30 years

Jay Wright (40 when hired by Villanova)
Mark Few (37 when promoted to HC by Gonzaga)
Mike Brey (41 when hired by ND)
Gregg Marshall (44 when hired by Wichita St)
Tony Bennett (40 when hired by UVA)

These are guys at programs that objectively should be at risk of losing a coach to blue blood, but were hired young and have built the type of program I think we'd all be happy with at Wake (save maybe Wichita State)

So what's Wes' personality like? After Bz and Manning, I'd like to see someone better at dealing with the press and the fans.

No decision is being made on a candidate based on where he went to school. I don't care if he went to Duke or UNC. I just want the best candidate. I do not want Amaker because we don't need another low ceiling, dud personality coach. Wes might not be my top choice, but I would be very happy to have him. I am not worried about the UNC job for reasons stated by others but mainly because I feel like Hubert Davis is the next in line.

UNC would not attempt to hire Wes away from WF unless he was wildly successful at WF. If that's price to pay for your scenario to happen, willing to take that risk.

Yup. Also the fact he grew up a massive Wake fan at the height of WFU basketball successes in mid-90s is a bit of a unique variable to add to the UNC alum mix...

Knew Wes's dad back in the day at Wake. Great guy, smart, highly motivated and obviously very loyal to wake forest. From what I understand his son wanted to walk on at Wake but Prosser did not have a spot. I am sure he grew up a big Wake fan for what its worth. He then goes to James Madison for a year and then gets an offer to play in his home state at UNC as a walk on. He ended up being a solid contributor on a talented UNC team. He played great defense, hustled his ass off and made few mistakes aka played smart basketball. I would say he overachieved as a player. Then he has a few stops as an assistant coach after his playing days are over and lands at UNCG as an assistant. Midway thru his first season the head coach either gets fired or resigns. Wes takes over and makes a great second half run and is rewarded with the head coach job. He has built a shitty program into a solid one and will leave UNCG in a much better place. I think his is smart, highly motivated, has alot of energy and would be good fit for Wake. Forbes I am sure would be a good choice as well. But he does have some Wake roots so to speak and obviously wanted to play in the ACC. Not sure it is smart to take a pass because he played a few years at UNC.

Current Special Assistant Ernie Nestor gave Wes Miller his first assistant job at Elon. They went 12-19 in 08-09 which led to Nestor being let go.

Beilein issues probably include wanting his kid (who stepped down for person reasons at Niagara before coaching a game). Wake probably said no thanks

Sure we could ask, but I don't know why we make that a dealbreaker if Miller is the coach we want. If Miller wins enough at Wake that the Heels want him in 5-10 years, I suspect we'd all be pretty fucking ecstatic about how much he has turned around our program.

Yes, the mythical Wake coach who gets hired by a better program.

Jay Wright (40 when hired by Villanova)
Mark Few (37 when promoted to HC by Gonzaga)
Mike Brey (41 when hired by ND)
Gregg Marshall (44 when hired by Wichita St)
Tony Bennett (40 when hired by UVA)

These are guys at programs that objectively should be at risk of losing a coach to blue blood, but were hired young and have built the type of program I think we'd all be happy with at Wake (save maybe Wichita State)

all of those coaches, aside from Few, had significantly higher profiles when they were hired than Miller does today, and exactly 0 of them have been in their roles for 30 years

Back