• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Brey wasn’t more successful than Miller IMO. It’s at least comparable. CAA was better than the southern conference is back then but Miller has produced three teams better ranking wise than Brey.

the 30 years is just a proxy for a long time kicking ass at one program - there are only 4 coaches with 30+ years at one program right now. Boeheim, K, Kampe, and Rick Byrd. If you want to go down that route - Boeheim was hired at 32 years old with no prior HC experience. Coach K was hired at 35 years old coming off a 9-17 season at Army.

great. would you now like to pull the denominator of coaches hired in their mid 30s after spending a decade at a program and taking it to such illustrious heights as (*checks notes*) a top 80 team in the country

i'm willing to bet it's way more than 4

Brey wasn’t more successful than Miller IMO. It’s at least comparable. CAA was better than the southern conference is back then but Miller has produced three teams better ranking wise than Brey.

Brey had 8 years under his belt as an assistant to K.

This is what I'm saying; his resume was significantly better at the time.

Doesn't KP only date back to 2002?

How much money is Miller's dad worth? What kind of money we talking, like is hiring him just coming out of his trust and costs the school zero dollars. Here's your allowance for the year, now go coach some basketball son.

I mean, look, if you think that Wes Miller is the next Tom Izzo, then more power to you, I guess.

Y'all are treating the 1% outcome on a probability matrix like it's a sure thing, though, which is wild to me.

Bennett had success at a P6 gig before UVA. Brey, Wright, and Marshall were all more successful in their mid-major gigs than Miller has been at UNCG. Bennett, Brey, and Wright were all well-regarded P6 assistants, something Miller has never been. Izzo and Few were longtime assistants and internal promotions; we don't have a Mark Few or a Tom Izzo at Wake, and even if you think Wes Miller would be successful here, those guys' paths aren't analogous.

If you think I'm saying Miller is the next Tom Izzo, you need help

How much money is Miller's dad worth? What kind of money we talking, like is hiring him just coming out of his trust and costs the school zero dollars. Here's your allowance for the year, now go coach some basketball son.

"i'll buy out mannequins contract if you give my son a shot."

The only thing I have any confidence in is our ability to fuck this up. I suffer from severe LOWF.

Miller is yet another huge risk. High upside potential, sure, but a considerable chance he fails as well.

I don't think Currie is going to make the same mistakes in a row that Wellman did. We need a sure thing at this point. He's going big and I bet we are lining up the funds for a Matta/Beilein type if we haven't already.

My only confidence with this whole thing is that this is going to likely be Currie's most important hire of his career as Wake's AD and I choose to believe he's not going to fuck it up. Miller or Kelsey would be very disappointing, IMHO. We forget how far we've fallen.

I don’t even think UNC would hire Miller unless he was incredibly successful at Wake. They can hire ANYONE and pay ANY amount. Maybe he’s on the list...maybe. Also Roy is getting old and has fallen off a bit so that transition likely happens sooner than later. Doubt Miller has enough time at Wake or anywhere else to prove enough by then.

Can't edit my post but remembered you can click on the coach for additional info on KP.

I think it's arguable Brey vs. Miller -- Brey made three postseasons in his final three seasons, including two NCAA appearances. It also took him less time to get Delaware to the top of the conference than it took Wes.

The SoCon being tough argument is fair, but it undercuts Wes vs. Forbes who had a more sustained run of success and produced three better KP teams than Wes ever did (at least in terms of overall national ranking)

Wichita got a 10 seed as the 5th ranked KP team....that’s hilariously bad seeding (lost by three to Kentucky who was 4 in the second round).

At 24-7, with several losses to unranked teams and only a couple of good wins, it was insane to have them at #5. They may have been better than a #10 seed, but there's no rational way that they should be ranked #5 at the end of the season.

Also put me in the group that believes a hire with instant credibility and track record of success is a must given the last decade. High risk/high reward is too much of a gamble for where we are now.

Y'all are treating the 1% outcome on a probability matrix like it's a sure thing, though, which is wild to me.

Based on posts over the last few months, it seems like Wake isn't doing a particularly effective job teaching undergraduates statistics.

Miller is yet another huge risk. High upside potential, sure, but a considerable chance he fails as well.

I don't think Currie is going to make the same mistakes in a row that Wellman did. We need a sure thing at this point. He's going big and I bet we are lining up the funds for a Matta/Beilein type if we haven't already.

My only confidence with this whole thing is that this is going to likely be Currie's most important hire of his career as Wake's AD and I choose to believe he's not going to fuck it up. Miller or Kelsey would be very disappointing, IMHO. We forget how far we've fallen.

I really, really want to believe this will happen.

Also put me in the group that believes a hire with instant credibility and track record of success is a must given the last decade. High risk/high reward is too much of a gamble for where we are now.

totally agree. however, what if you offer matta/beilein and they say no. then what

Doesn't KP only date back to 2002?

The individual team rankings go to 1997 if you click on the team profile history (or click on the coach) but the overall rankings only run to 2002.

99b7638a595fe562117630ed031bb09e.jpg

Brey made The Dance twice in five years at Delaware. HOF WEs has made The Dance once in eight years at UNC-G.

Brey had been an assistant (and top assistant) at Duke for eight years versus zero P6 experience for Miller.

Brey far more qualified to take the gig at ND than Wes is at UNC-G.

Back