• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

But to get any of those CEO jobs, you would have had to have had to have been wildly successful at similar companies (or have started the company giving you the job).

Hey, if there's a current mid-30s candidate who has been "wildly successful" at his former coaching gig, please show him to me.

Wes Miller ain't it.

Last edited:
This feels like a typical Wake game. I was so hopeful and optimistic we would hire Wes. As many know, I have viewed his as a once in a generation hire for Wake for some time. Then I was crushed to learn we were out of it. Now I'm feeling we have a chance again. I'm sure bad shit will happen and we won't.

It's one of those classic Wake losses. Get one day and resolve yourself to the loss. Then we get back in the game only to lose at the end. It fees like losing twice. Does this only happen to WF basketball?

Honestly, and maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but you kick the can down the road another year until we find a sure thing. Keep Randolph as the acting coach and expand the search while fixing any issues that may have been why Matta/Beilein said 'no' to begin with. If it's money, Currie has another full year to raise the funds. If it's Hatch getting in the way (I seriously doubt this given the upheaval over the last 10 years although firmly believe he is mostly to blame for Bzz and DM), let that be even more of a reason to push him out with the support of the BOT. Hell, we don't even know if we're going to have a MBB season at this point. No sense trying to lock up a less than ideal candidate for at least three years, probably five, unless we're fully committed. If we're not...keep searching.

Hell to the no on hiring Randolph as an interim. Interim status is god awful for recruiting and stability. If Matta said no, and Beilein isn't going to work out, then you go to the next tier and pick the 1 you like the most. That next tier is apparently called Forbes and Miller. I'm comfortable with either over Amaker. Currie is getting paid the big bucks to make a choice, not put everything on hold.

Hey, if there's a mid-30s candidate who has been "wildly successful" at his former coaching gig, please show him to me.

Wes Miller ain't it.

You see my name, stop paying attention and look for something bitch about even when we agree. I've consistently said Wes shouldn't be our coach.

RE: Mid-30s wildly successful HC- How about That Matta. He had been a HC for four years, made The Dance each year, won a game in The Dance three times and made an Elite Eight. He was 36 by the end of his fourth season.

I get what you're saying, but it would effectively be the equivalent of self-imposing the death penalty on the program. That would be tough to come back from for a while.

I worry about this as well, but if we spin it the right way I think we could come out of it looking fine.

This is all under the assumption that we haven't been putting out feelers for a while to garner interest before firing Manning. All I know is you don't fire Manning if you're banking on hiring Miller. If Currie screws this up, I will be surprised.

I was told, but let me emphasize the fact that I did not see this with my own eyes, that Matta was on campus today and toured Shah and the Joel.

That might have been what all the travel scuttlebutt was about late yesterday.

I cannot confirm that this is true, but the source of the info is 100% legit.

John Wooden, Bob Knight, Coach K, Roy Williams, Dean Smith, Jim Boeheim. All pretty good hires in their 30s! That's when the best hires happen!

You see my name, stop paying attention and look for something bitch about even when we agree. I've consistently said Wes shouldn't be our coach.

RE: Mid-30s wildly successful HC- How about That Matta. He had been a HC for four years, made The Dance each year, won a game in The Dance three times and made an Elite Eight. He was 36 by the end of his fourth season.

oh, I was just making a joke about our current situation; I didn't even see it was you who had posted it. not sure what you're so upset about.

I was told, but let me emphasize the fact that I did not see this with my own eyes, that Matta was on campus today and toured Shah and the Joel.

You're gonna gain some MAJOR cred if Matta ends up being the dude. Great, great news if this is true.

Interesting.

we will all believe this one because we want it to be true
:thumbsup:

(but that's how it works)

Paging CONeill.....

Does KVegas have a good batting average when it comes to this stuff?

typically said by those interested in neither perfection nor goodness

I meant that in response to the guy saying just let Randolph interim and start again next year if we whiff on “top” guys but you keep ranting about whatever it is you’re ranting about.

Have any response to the recent list of ACC hires that show Wake’s current list is in line with those?

I still think Matta was on that plane last night to Winston. Too many coincidences honestly.

agreed

me and Kory were discussing some THEORIES about that plane and the folks staking it out yesterday

feel free to join OGBOards 2.0 for more

XLlN6W.gif

Back