• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

it really feels like folks here are looking at Miller's age as a significant benefit, when the only way that it would be a benefit is if that 1% outcome happens and he turns into the guys that buckets and thaguy2016 definitely absolutely aren't comparing Miller to

you can't have it both ways there-- if the most likely outcomes for Miller occur, his age doesn't mean a goddamn thing

just hire the best candidate; there's very little evidence that the best candidate is Miller without significant upward projection

At 24-7, with several losses to unranked teams and only a couple of good wins, it was insane to have them at #5. They may have been better than a #10 seed, but there's no rational way that they should be ranked #5 at the end of the season.

This was the year they went 30-4 in the regular season plus conference tourney. Their four losses were to 9th louisville, 40th Michigan State, 22nd oklahoma State and 49 Illinois State. They then lost in the tourney 65-62 to 4th Kentucky. They finished the year 31-5 and won 27 games by double digits (playing the 110th hardest schedule - so yeah easier schedule than a P6 team but they obliterated bad teams).

it really feels like folks here are looking at Miller's age as a significant benefit, when the only way that it would be a benefit is if that 1% outcome happens and he turns into the guys that buckets and thaguy2016 definitely absolutely aren't comparing Miller to

you can't have it both ways there-- if the most likely outcomes for Miller occur, his age doesn't mean a goddamn thing

just hire the best candidate; there's very little evidence that the best candidate is Miller without significant upward projection

There's obviously more benefits to youth than a 1% outcome.

From my perspective this is not about Miller having played at UNC. This is about Roy Williams turning 70 this year. He will be replaced in the next 3-5years and as we know, UNC hires "within the family" Miller comes to WAKE and stinks up the place, we made a bad decision. Miller succeeds and brings us back to top 1/2 of the conference, he's definitely on the UNC SHORT SHORT list. The thought of losing a successful coach to the blue goats is nauseating. And WE absolutely would lose him.
Not only that, if you don't think Tarhole Walmart fans wouldn't be obnoxious about Wes Miller becoming super successful at Wake and THEY "TOOK" HIM from us, you're crazy.
We may not be Dook to them, but trust me, they mock us and State plenty hard.
We'd never hear the end of it, even if we got a great coach to replace HOF Wes.

If I’m not mistaken, Ken Miller has not coached one basketball game at UNC-G.

I plan to interview for a few CEO jobs and be like, look, I’m 33 years old. If I’m great at this job I could be CEO for 30 fucking years!! No brainer.

Final Four quality game too. That 10 seed was unfair to Wichita. And Kentucky.

Yes that’s one of the better tourney games I remember from the last few years. As was the 2014 game where Wichita was 35-0 and a one seed while Kentucky entered the game as an 8 seed despite being 17th in KP entering their tourney (Kentucky lost in the title game to UConn)

Miller's starting out at JMU says he loved basketball more than a particular school. I can see the argument that Wake to him is the equivalent of his first serious relationship that he never got over even though he ended up marrying UNC.

0-3 vs. the guy we just fired....by accident, he should have beaten Danny at least once.
To be fair to Wes though, if it wasn't for a last ditch clutch Crawford three, he'd be 1-2 against [Paint Touches].

But, regardless, we're in total agreement.

totally agree. however, what if you offer matta/beilein and they say no. then what

Honestly, and maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but you kick the can down the road another year until we find a sure thing. Keep Randolph as the acting coach and expand the search while fixing any issues that may have been why Matta/Beilein said 'no' to begin with. If it's money, Currie has another full year to raise the funds. If it's Hatch getting in the way (I seriously doubt this given the upheaval over the last 10 years although firmly believe he is mostly to blame for Bzz and DM), let that be even more of a reason to push him out with the support of the BOT. Hell, we don't even know if we're going to have a MBB season at this point. No sense trying to lock up a less than ideal candidate for at least three years, probably five, unless we're fully committed. If we're not...keep searching.

How much money is Miller's dad worth? What kind of money we talking, like is hiring him just coming out of his trust and costs the school zero dollars. Here's your allowance for the year, now go coach some basketball son.

Well, in 2002 Ken Miller (Wes's dad) sold his company (Long, Miller and Associates; Miller was one of the two company founders) for $412 million. That was 18 years ago.

This was the year they went 30-4 in the regular season plus conference tourney. Their four losses were to 9th louisville, 40th Michigan State, 22nd oklahoma State and 49 Illinois State. They then lost in the tourney 65-62 to 4th Kentucky. They finished the year 31-5 and won 27 games by double digits (playing the 110th hardest schedule - so yeah easier schedule than a P6 team but they obliterated bad teams).

My bad about the year, in the 30-4 year, they had zero good wins and weren't ranked until the last couple of weeks and finished at #19. I'll say the same thing again. They shouldn't have been #10 seed (if they were #7, they still would have played KY in the second round), but they weren't close to being #5.

I plan to interview for a few CEO jobs and be like, look, I’m 33 years old. If I’m great at this job I could be CEO for 30 fucking years!! No brainer.

Thank god there are people like you two. The argument for Miller makes absolutely zero sense to me. Like negative sense. I get dumber reading arguments for why we should hire Miller.

But to get any of those CEO jobs, you would have had to have had to have been wildly successful at similar companies (or have started the company giving you the job).

Honestly, and maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but you kick the can down the road another year until we find a sure thing. Keep Randolph as the acting coach and expand the search while fixing any issues that may have been why Matta/Beilein said 'no' to begin with. If it's money, Currie has another full year to raise the funds. If it's Hatch getting in the way (I seriously doubt this given the upheaval over the last 10 years although firmly believe he is mostly to blame for Bzz and DM), let that be even more of a reason to push him out with the support of the BOT. Hell, we don't even know if we're going to have a MBB season at this point. No sense trying to lock up a less than ideal candidate for at least three years, probably five, unless we're fully committed. If we're not...keep searching.

I get what you're saying, but it would effectively be the equivalent of self-imposing the death penalty on the program. That would be tough to come back from for a while.

Back