• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

After discussing it with Murdock, we think this is who the guy in the blue sweater was http://wfuogb.com/2016/04/meet-richard-carmichael/. Again, he was waiting on the tarmac for the plane to arrive. Murdock only saw three people come off the plane, so Matta could've been on there.

Just when I think the old guy on a plane theory doesn't add up, I get sucked right back in.

Anyone who buys the narrative that Amaker was on campus but didn't interview for the coaching job is a fucking idiot. IF he was here, he interviewed.

Duhhhhh. That has to be kvegas trying to protect his own ass, though it makes absolutely no sense

Just read an analysis of Matta's last 4 years at OSU. He was losing recruiting battles and ball games and was fired. Sounds like he was worn out or down, kinda like dear Jim Grobe. If that is true, that is not what we need, even if he thinks he wants to give it another shot. How long would take him to figure out the best recruits for WF and establish relationships leading to commitments?

A younger coach already has a list of recruits that will fit his style of play. Offering those recruits the opportunity to play in the ACC should garner a number of good recruits.

I am leaning toward younger and more enthusiastic and aggressive: Wes Miller.

This all reminds me of the last time we haired a basketball coach-- lots of great rumors, lots of great candidates and then DFL walks off the plane and up to the mike-- Wake fans just get strung along and then Boom! we get a crappy coach

I hope this is a new day, but we'll see. I wonder how everyone felt about Skip when he was hired.

Also - not sure if people have seen this but I hadn't.... Knoxville paper article about Currie's final days/hours at UT.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bost...ill-stay-at-harvard-rejecting-wake-forest-too

Ha, Thad is younger than Forbes, too. Someone may have posted that earlier, but pretty funny.

I’m liking Matta a whole lot for our job right now
giphy.gif

Just read an analysis of Matta's last 4 years at OSU. He was losing recruiting battles and ball games and was fired. Sounds like he was worn out or down, kinda like dear Jim Grobe. If that is true, that is not what we need, even if he thinks he wants to give it another shot. How long would take him to figure out the best recruits for WF and establish relationships leading to commitments?

A younger coach already has a list of recruits that will fit his style of play. Offering those recruits the opportunity to play in the ACC should garner a number of good recruits.

I am leaning toward younger and more enthusiastic and aggressive: Wes Miller.

I’ve had the same worries but I’m assuming John Currie would address this concern himself and to his satisfaction if he offers Matta the job. If Currie looks him in the eye and is satisfied I think I’ll be too because the rest of the resume is hella good.

Matta’s had three years to rest. It’s his decision whether to hop back on the saddle again. I doubt he’s destitute.

I hope this is a new day, but we'll see. I wonder how everyone felt about Skip when he was hired.

Also - not sure if people have seen this but I hadn't.... Knoxville paper article about Currie's final days/hours at UT.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bost...ill-stay-at-harvard-rejecting-wake-forest-too

The board was pretty happy when Skip was hired. Only downer was Xavier fans that came on the board and said he would produce great regular seasons but choke in the tournament.

Man. Matta being younger than Forbes blows my mind. I’ll take Matta, Miller, Forbes in that order. Sorry, but a 55 year old coach who’s never been at this level doesn’t sit right.

I listened to that earlier. Those guys seem p close to Forbes and it seems likely that he has been offered.

Those guys are idiots.
"Forbes could find a much better job if he waited."
"Would easily leave Wake to come back to Tenn"
"Wake has struggled since Odom left"

Back