• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

You know with our luck though, we'll finally get a guy we (almost) all believe in and the season will get canceled because of the Covid crap. I know, Debbie downer, thought crossed my mind though.

that's fine -- gives him an extra year to bring in his guys

With Manning, Cavanaugh and Moto left immediately. Hopefully, Forbes will have the opposite effect on our remaining key players.

Feeling some blood flow this morning.

dd4b49cb373751c54e38f65c57e5ef5d.gif

As has been said, Wellman would have never hired this guy which is a win off the bat. Wellman hated hiring anyone who might stand up to him and wouldn't be a gentleman Jim on the sidelines

Let's not talk shit about a kid (kids) that had to look out for themselves. They don't know what a good coach is so let's give some understanding and patience. If they leave that's ok. Gives Forbes more opportunity to capitalize on his honeymoon phase. He can also recruit them back. The Burger King AA line may even be enough.

Some of the guys in the portal probably should just get a text wishing them well at whatever school the y choose next. Others should be given a strong invitation to discuss returning. A new coach, new philosophy might just get Wake near .500 next season.

This is really exciting news. I'm with everyone else who's glad that he isn't a "Wake Forest" kind of guy. We need a shakeup- desperately. For all of the hand wringing over JUCOs, Forbes has a 100% graduation rate, which is much better than the last two coaches we have had. Also, it's nice to see a fanbase at ETSU who is actually sad to see the coach go, as opposed to the last two fanbases we took coaches from who were basically thrilled. This is as good a hire as Currie could have made and it's not the safe one. I like it.

Nice. Think Forbes will be primed to start rocking and rolling immediately.

I like the path he took, and I think he may be looking to continue that path and be a little more accelerated in his ambition, but that will probably be good for us, regardless. All for connections to Gillispie, Pearl, Marshall, and comparisons/connections to Williams. Fuck the norms, fuck the tradition, it was all mostly plastic anyway.

1) He was an assistant in the Big 12, SEC, and AAC. He knows how to recruit HS players, that just isn't the best recipe for success somewhere like ETSU. Although, let's be clear, the majority of his roster came into ETSU as freshmen, including his 2nd and 3rd best players.
2) What do you mean he's rough around the edges? Seems like a nice family man who is a strong, albeit slightly colorful, communicator.
3) 55 is not too old. He can coach here for longer than anyone has ever coached at Wake Forest since we've been in the ACC and still be 4 years younger than Coach K is now.
4) We didn't get Miller or Kelsey because Currie thought Forbes was better. We probably got our number 2 choice here - which makes this a much more successful coaching search than the last two.

This

I don't really like the dismissal of JUCOs in general. I know every comment isn't like this or intentional, but I have met some super smart and very hard working people who come from JUCOs/Community Colleges. We still may not recruit/admit them, but those kids are more than capable of getting through Wake. I mean, we've had a couple of prep guys who weren't ready right out of high school, either. I think we should probably just get over that as a fanbase, and I'd like to get over it as a policy, if it's an official one.

I don't really like the dismissal of JUCOs in general. I know every comment isn't like this or intentional, but I have met some super smart and very hard working people who come from JUCOs/Community Colleges. We still may not recruit/admit them, but those kids are more than capable of getting through Wake. I mean, we've had a couple of prep guys who weren't ready right out of high school, either. I think we should probably just get over that as a fanbase, and I'd like to get over it as a policy, if it's an official one.
We will never go the judo rout. Fantasy. If this is the Forbes model, take Miller.

Who are the best coaches in the ACC? Or any league for that matter? The ones that opposing fans HATE. The ACC is going to hate this man. Bring it on!

Not as polished and well read as Skip but suspect will be as entertaining and quotable as Skip who is down to earth and real with players, students and fans. And I think this team has the talent to be much better than .500 if Sarr and Neath stay along with Massoud and Mucius. Those 4 along with the others were starting to develop last year and think Forbes will have them in awe of how much better than can be as a team with a coach with a clear plan and abilty to coach D and not just throw out coach speak with no ability to get players to play as a team.

Very exciting indeed.

yep

It's hubris. The "wake forest way" should be more than "we're better than you."

In. My best students are community college transfers.

Back