• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New DC blog on interviewing Bzd

Interesting, huh? That is not the word I would select. In fact, this was the most boring season I can remember in that, after a couple minutes of most games, you knew we were in for a double digit loss and there was no need to watch. That's not "interesting." On a like note, watching one thing after another go wrong isn't interesting -- starting with this less-than-sexy hire.

I'd pick "disappointing," "disastrous," disheartening," debaucle," or even "infuriating," but not "interesting."

I think it was a fine answer. Anything else he said would have come across as defensive, and would have probably enraged us.

Having said that, I'm sure the entire interview will enrage us when we read it.

I'd pick "disappointing," "disastrous," disheartening," debaucle," or even "infuriating," but not "interesting."

This.

Trying. Challenging. Difficult. Disappointing. Draining. Frustrating. Hell, I'd have even been ok with Transitional, Developmental, Necessary, or something else. Any of them lend themselves to a discussion about what happened and how it's part of the plan to grow/develop/change, etc.

Interesting works if Bz is talking to a buddy or family member. It implies "what the fuck have I gotten myself into" or "There is so much shit behind the scenes that you can't even begin to fathom".

But Bz was talking to the hometown beat guy. The guy whose job it is to convey information to the masses, fans, faithful, and general public. For those of us who care about the program and just watched what was hands down the worst hoops season for at least a generation (and we're not just talking Wake, we're talking the entire 9+ team ACC), "interesting" isn't the right word. Repeated ass kickings by teams our walk-ons should have beaten is in no way, shape, or form "interesting" to Dan's reading public.

Interesting....I don't hold that against Bzzz. That is a no win question along the lines of "do you still beat your wife." If he tows the AD line of "I couldn't be happier" we would freak. If he says he is disappointed, we will parse that into why are you disappointed and DC would probably follow up with, "Specifically, why are you disappointed?" Interesting works for me, however, I anticipate the rest of the interview.

Interesting also eludes to the fact that he was completely unprepared for what he was getting into.
The problem I have with him is his apparent inability to coach and recruit at this level. He seems more suited to a DII program than a high DI program.

The bottom line (again) is that he has no history of success at this level, no history of recruiting high level talent and no ability to connect with our fanbase (outside of the the AD sycophants).

Agreed that "Interesting" is much too smug given the circumstances. Particularly when followed with "I'll leave it at that." Give us something. Otherwise, don't do the interview. This was the worst season in our history, and his first. You have to explain why those things are not correlated.

This was "interesting" in the sense that a fatal car wreck is "interesting." But, you don't have many people bottlenecking at such a wreck and commenting to one another, "well, that's interesting."

Just not the word that comes to mind at all.

Can we wait until the whole interview runs (as DC said, that was the first question of an hour long interview, and he was very forthcoming after that) before blasting the guy for his one word answer?

The fan base is furious about the circumstances in which this guy was brought it. Everything he does, no matter how mundane is going to be under a microscope. It doesn't help that he's struggled with being a personable, engaging character.

Can we wait until the whole interview runs (as DC said, that was the first question of an hour long interview, and he was very forthcoming after that) before blasting the guy for his one word answer?

To be fair, he was given twenty-eight seconds, not one word.

I've met [Redacted] and like him quite a bit, nice guy. I'm bzzwait, lots of fail this season occurred before it started.

The fan base is furious about the circumstances in which this guy was brought it. Everything he does, no matter how mundane is going to be under a microscope. It doesn't help that he's struggled with being a personable, engaging character.

The circumstances around the hiring and this year are things that I'm not sure he can overcome, absent winning in a BIG way.

I would have felt better if he had said "failure" because then it would at least be an acknowledgement that he has failed so far, that the team failed and there are no excuses for this season- it is simply unacceptable. Interesting seems to indicate he is oblivious to how awful it was and his role in that.

Failure would have been a terrible thing to say, whether true or not.

I would have felt better if he had said "failure" because then it would at least be an acknowledgement that he has failed so far, that the team failed and there are no excuses for this season- it is simply unacceptable. Interesting seems to indicate he is oblivious to how awful it was and his role in that.

I think a long pause followed by "interesting" is a pretty clear indication that he wasn't happy with this season.

Honestly, haven't we all done this exact same thing after a difficult situation?

Failure would have been a terrible thing to say, whether true or not.

Absolutely.

Not sure how it took 28 seconds to come up with interesting, but that was probably the best thing for him to say.

And this article by Disco is going to be so over analyzed when it come out. Sigh. Looking forward to the article but not the fall out.

Absolutely.

Not sure how it took 28 seconds to come up with interesting, but that was probably the best thing for him to say.

Well agree to disagree, and it might not have been the savvy thing to say, but I would have felt better if he said it was a failure, because it was. Acknowledging he didn't get the job done and then stating that he will not fail again. That would give me some hope. This makes me think he is the weirdo out of touch coach that he keeps portraying himself as.

I think a long pause followed by "interesting" is a pretty clear indication that he wasn't happy with this season.

Honestly, haven't we all done this exact same thing after a difficult situation?

Sat there for almost half a minute before giving a one word answer? No.

So far I am hard pressed to name one thing that Bz does well.

Back