• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New FB Commit -- ATH/OLB Kevis Jones

Great get by the staff. Hope we can hang on to him. He is the type of prospect that will flourish under our S&C program. Welcome, Kevis! It's great to be a Deac!

I used to run a 4.4. If you dont believe me, then you are wrong. Exactly

I used to run a 4.4. If you dont believe me, then you are wrong. Exactly

Actually have a friend who claims in high school he ran a 4.4. He claimed he went to some combine and DeSean Jackson was there. He says he was second only to DeSean.

This turns into a bet, but no one could find the records anywhere. Sure enough, a couple weeks later, in the Rivals archives, there's some Nike Combine stats from San Jose, CA in 2004 or something like that. Dude ran a 4.43. Hats off, I guess.

When I was coaching one the other assistants got on a tangent about how the 6'7" 250 pound white boy we were recruiting was slow because he ran a 4.6 40 time (he was a football recruit as well). We started giving the other assistant a hard time because he claimed he could still run a 4.5 40 even at the age of 30, and plus 30 pounds from his playing days.

I bet him 100 bucks he couldn't do it. We were actually in an indoor facility at the time (East Tennessee State) that had a track around the inside, and we were in gym shorts, so we wanted him to run it for the money. He said he had to stretch out before he did and he bailed on the immediate run, but said he would do it when he got back to our campus.

When we arrive Monday morning at the office to go over our game tape the guy walks in with a full leg brace and and his face all scarred up. He claimed that he hurt himself going for a 'light jog'. He tore his ACL and MCL along with scrapes and bruises all over himself when he busted on the concrete. I have never been so torn to feel sorry and want to laugh in a guy's face uncontrollably when it was so clear he had been testing to see how fast he could run a 40 yard dash and injured himself.

Needless to say he never ridded himself of the nickname 4.5 during his time with us. Sorry for that sidestory, just thought someone might find it funny.

This kid sounds like a good recruit. Go Deacs!

Where did you get that offer list? Scout and rivals don't list those schools with offers.

Sounds like a great pick-up. Hope he is not swayed before signing day.

Nice job coaches!

Where did you get that offer list? Scout and rivals don't list those schools with offers.
Illinois, Syracuse, Texas Tech, and WVU are listed in his Scout and Rivals profiles. There is a Rivals article from 10/31 that says Louisville, Wisconsin, and WVU have offered and were continuing to pursue him. I think he mentioned FSU and USF offers in his video in the football recruiting thread.

It was actually me who ran that 4.4, but not serious. more like a 4.3

But seriously, great pick up, glad to hear he is on the wake-train

When I was coaching one the other assistants got on a tangent about how the 6'7" 250 pound white boy we were recruiting was slow because he ran a 4.6 40 time (he was a football recruit as well). We started giving the other assistant a hard time because he claimed he could still run a 4.5 40 even at the age of 30, and plus 30 pounds from his playing days.

I bet him 100 bucks he couldn't do it. We were actually in an indoor facility at the time (East Tennessee State) that had a track around the inside, and we were in gym shorts, so we wanted him to run it for the money. He said he had to stretch out before he did and he bailed on the immediate run, but said he would do it when he got back to our campus.

When we arrive Monday morning at the office to go over our game tape the guy walks in with a full leg brace and and his face all scarred up. He claimed that he hurt himself going for a 'light jog'. He tore his ACL and MCL along with scrapes and bruises all over himself when he busted on the concrete. I have never been so torn to feel sorry and want to laugh in a guy's face uncontrollably when it was so clear he had been testing to see how fast he could run a 40 yard dash and injured himself.

Needless to say he never ridded himself of the nickname 4.5 during his time with us. Sorry for that sidestory, just thought someone might find it funny.

HAHA that is awesome

Ok, so back on topic. We really did get verbal from this guy? And he really does have the impressive array of offers?

These type guys are always exciting to watch develop...as an ATH he is a lot like DeAndre Martin (3 star RB/LB from last year). Part of the excitement stems from the fact that they have played so many positions. In turn the scouting of these guys is a little trickier since the scouts don't know yet how to translate him to the college game. You could argue that had Alphonso not played option QB and instead had focused solely on CB that he'd have earned much more attention from the Big 3 in Florida.

As for translating as an LB...he fits the mold (size wise) of Curry, Olson, Allen. Aaron was 6'2-190;Mike 6'3-185;Ziggy 6'2-200. You can also add Wiggins and Hunt to that list...

Be nice pick up if it is true. We could use an LB in this class.

This is incredible.

welcome aboard kevis! sounds like a great pick up for grobie and co!

last word I got was Andre was returning next season...ostensibly a do-over of his freshman year.

Not sure I understand...........grades, on the field, something other than a typical redshirt freshman year?

Ol' Lec, here's a question for you.

What's the 2-deep on our Defensive Line next year? It seems like pulling the shirt on guys like Lewinson and Banks is inescapable.

Back