• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

new HDTV questions

My other one was great until it crapped out on me and unfortunately I was cheap and didn't get the extended warranty on it even though I paid a $1k more for it. This is basically the same thing just the bigger version with a better warranty. My wife would kill me if I bought another $2k tv.

The big reason 3D is a big deal is that is hard to find a set with the best PQ yet no 3D.

This.

The problem with some of these reviews though is that they're done when the TV's cost like $1,000. Then they're compared against other expensive TV's and they come up short. But drop the price $300 and suddenly the review would be calling them a good deal albeit not a reference-quality picture.

Regardless, it'll probably look great unless you're a real stickler for deep blacks.

hey bros, so i want to get a new big ass tv. i don't give a shit about 3D or smart features or any of that stuff. i just want a big ass tv to watch sports and hook up to a decent surround sound system (that i already have). these two have risen to the top of my list, any reason not to pull the trigger? worth waiting for the xmas season?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARAHBK0/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradis-20#productPromotions

http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-65"...a-tvs&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=30771+64

Good call on not giving a shit about smart features and 3D. Just get a massive plasma.

Don't know whether it matters to you, but double check the delivery procedure if you decide to go with Amazon. I think that they are usually fine with TVs, but I have read of some cases where the "white glove" service they used didn't take proper care when transporting the TV. Mucho headaches.

Check out Philips. They have a great picture and are generally a little cheaper, price-wise.

Don't know whether it matters to you, but double check the delivery procedure if you decide to go with Amazon. I think that they are usually fine with TVs, but I have read of some cases where the "white glove" service they used didn't take proper care when transporting the TV. Mucho headaches.

I bought two from Amazon about six months ago without any issue.

I got a 60" Samsung Smart LED 3D two weeks ago. I haven't used the 3D and don't specifically plan to, but as others have said it was tough to find the really high picture quality without it. It replaced an 8-year-old 50" Samsung plasma that I loved, but which only had one HDMI input which crapped out like 18 months ago and wasn't worth replacing on a TV that old.

I love the picture quality on the new one. I do have to say that I like having the Smart features built right in to the TV as opposed to having to run them through another device. Plus, it is simple enough to use that my 3-year-old has learned quickly how to turn on the TV, navigate to Netflix, find Curious George, and play the episodes without ever having to bother me. The remote is also pretty cool too, as it is just a blank touch screen with no actual number keys on it (I think why it is really easy for the kid to use it).

hey bros, so i want to get a new big ass tv. i don't give a shit about 3D or smart features or any of that stuff. i just want a big ass tv to watch sports and hook up to a decent surround sound system (that i already have). these two have risen to the top of my list, any reason not to pull the trigger? worth waiting for the xmas season?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARAHBK0/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradis-20#productPromotions

http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-65"...a-tvs&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=30771+64

If you're looking for bare bones, inexpensive, great picture - that S64 from Costco at 65" for under $1,500 is a great option. Only negative there is that if you're in a bright room or have reflective lights the lower-end Panny's don't have their advanced light filters. At that size and PQ though it's basically impossible to beat value-wise.

I don't let them do anything but bring it it in the house. Open box, inspect, make sure it powers up, sign delivery form. Else tell them to take it back.

I used amazon for a panny plasma 1 1/2 years ago. Very pleased. Signed up for a free prime 30 trial. Saved under 200 bucks on the white glove delivery with prime. On my phone but check CNET.com one of the panny plasmas mid range I believe it was is there highest recommendation ever for picture and value. You can get a really great picture for good prices with plasma. Also camel camel camel .com I believe will track amazon prices for you and give you and idea about when to pull the trigger if you intend to buy amazon.

Looking to purchase a larger TV. This list seems to have a clear winner. Any thoughts?
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tvs/

This is for a bright living room with blinds on all the windows, so that's not a big deal. I'm mounting it on a large wall. Looking for sound recommendations, too. One consideration is that the living room shares a wall (not the TV wall) with my youngest's bedroom.

Thanks.

Looking to purchase a larger TV. This list seems to have a clear winner. Any thoughts?
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tvs/

This is for a bright living room with blinds on all the windows, so that's not a big deal. I'm mounting it on a large wall. Looking for sound recommendations, too. One consideration is that the living room shares a wall (not the TV wall) with my youngest's bedroom.

Thanks.

That must of been some large grant!

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00CMEN95U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386884954&sr=1-1&keywords=4k

At least read the customer reviews. It's worth your time to read at least 4 or 5 of them.

Read like 2-3 pages the other day...incredible.

On another note, also looking to get a 60" LED. Likely Samsung FH6003 as I don't need a smart TV and have no interest in 3D as the projector has that. Anyone have the FH6003 or EH6003 (last years model)? Price dipped to $897.99 on Amazon around Black Friday and hopefully will return to that. Other suggestions for 60" TV welcomed.

Want an LED - get a Samsung. Want a plasma get a Panasonic. Very sad that Panasonic is ending their plasma production this year - best PQ for the buck by far. Couldn't be happier with the Panny GT hanging on my wall right now.

Want an LED - get a Samsung. Want a plasma get a Panasonic. Very sad that Panasonic is ending their plasma production this year - best PQ for the buck by far. Couldn't be happier with the Panny GT hanging on my wall right now.

Seriously? Shit. We have an S50 in our living room and it is phenomenal considering I paid 599 for it from Amazon last year.

Back