• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Orleans Trip

WFUtoUSC

Reaction score
I just found out I'm going to be in New Orleans for a long weekend (arrive on Friday morning, leave on Monday afternoon) in January. Never been before. What should I do, where should I go, where should I eat, where should I stay?

All information is appreciated. I've already gotten recommendations for Cafe Du Mond, Commander's Palace, Acme Oyster Co., Central Grocery, and the Bienville Hotel

Thanks Pit!

Search here for new orleans in the subject and you'll find 200 plus posts over a few threads with some great recommendations. Went with the wife back in the spring for the first time. Tons of great recommendations to start you off.

Cochon Butcher for amazing sandwiches and small plates
Friday lunch at Galatoire's or August
Cochon, Peche, Luke for nice dinners
Shaya for Israeli food -- yes, for real. Voted the best new restaurant in America by many publications
Mahony's, Domilises, Johnny's for po boys
French 75 and the bar at the Bourbon Orleans hotel for cocktails

August is fantastic. Would defs recommend for dinner. Commanders is an experience more than anything else. I'd try that for Sunday brunch if it's someplace you really want to go.

I personally would skip Galatoire's. While it's a NOLA institution there are a ton of better restaurants in town.

One of my go-to places from when I lived there opened back up not too long ago. Frankie and Johnny's uptown on Arabella. Went back in December and it was still great. Just casual, good Cajun/creole.

August is fantastic. Would defs recommend for dinner. Commanders is an experience more than anything else. I'd try that for Sunday brunch if it's someplace you really want to go.

I personally would skip Galatoire's. While it's a NOLA institution there are a ton of better restaurants in town.

One of my go-to places from when I lived there opened back up not too long ago. Frankie and Johnny's uptown on Arabella. Went back in December and it was still great. Just casual, good Cajun/creole.

there are better restaurants than Galatoire's, but there's arguably no better scene in the city than Friday lunch. that's also the only time of the week August does their lunch, and it's quite nice -- the 3 course prixe fixe is one of the best deals around.

Prepare to get sick. It's horribly dirty down there. That said, it's really fun. I've always had a great time and great food and I can't wait to go back (which is happening next weekend)! If you can get yourself a few steps off of Bourbon street into some neighborhoods the people are really fantastic.

I'll second Galatoire's for fine dining and Domilise's for a Po Boy. Napoleon House is a really cool place to get a cocktail.

i had a completely different experience at Galatoire's. back in april spent a long weekend in new orleans. the place was nearly empty for sunday night dinner. the food was mediocre (for fine dinning) and the service was terrible. scratch that. our server was terrible (rarely checked on us, we poured our own wine - i know first world fine dinning problems- etc). the support staff was excellent. at the prices they were charging it was a terrible experience.

had a great meal at gw fins with top notch service. their focus is sea food.

second the cochon restaurants. it was a last minute trip so some places were booked for reservations (like cochon restaurant) we did have lunch at cohon butcher and that was really good.

stayed in the q & c hotel, central business district, 10-15 minute walk from bourbon. Majoria's Commerce Restaurant was a block or so away. often rated one of the top diners. if you just want a cheap diner breakfast.

did a lunch time food/drink tour of magazine street. some good stuff there. dat dog had an alligator sausage with craw fish etouffe that was quite different.

good margaritas/mojitos at gato negro.

Prepare to get sick. It's horribly dirty down there. That said, it's really fun. I've always had a great time and great food and I can't wait to go back (which is happening next weekend)! If you can get yourself a few steps off of Bourbon street into some neighborhoods the people are really fantastic.

Yep...I always look foward to a shower at home when I leave N.O.

I just feel filthy there the second I smell the air and walk down Bourbon St. But it's a fun town.

agree about the filth. not sure what i was expecting bourbon street to be (other than non stop party) but what i got was

non stop party + smell of vomit + smell of urine + overflowing trash cans + people passed out on the middle of the sidewalks = bourbon street

We also most recently stayed at the Q&C Hotel and thought it was great. Sort of like a Kimpton hotel. It's a decent location to a lot of the touristy things and is around the corner from Mother's, another old school institution.

we enjoyed it as well. we hit mother's for lunch after arriving in town. definitely good food but the prices and volume of blue hairs screamed "tourist trap."

I'll be heading down there next month for a Fri-Mon trip, catching the panthers at the super dome on Sunday. Pretty excited, keep the recs coming.

Bake has a list of the best opium dens in the port area.

Court of Two Sisters is a great restaurant.

http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

I thought it was ok. It's a buffet and it's expensive for what you get. The courtyard is beautiful though.

On another note, stay away from Antoine's. They live off being around for 170 years and being visited by famous people, but I didn't think it was very good.

Back