• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Orleans Trip

agree about the filth. not sure what i was expecting bourbon street to be (other than non stop party) but what i got was

non stop party + smell of vomit + smell of urine + overflowing trash cans + people passed out on the middle of the sidewalks = bourbon street

It's not a non-stop party. They stop just before morning and hose off the streets with industrial strength cleanser. I got a whole mess of vomit / cleanser combination on me during a French Quarter run.

These recommendations are awesome, thanks y'all. Pos rep coming for everyone

It's not a non-stop party. They stop just before morning and hose off the streets with industrial strength cleanser. I got a whole mess of vomit / cleanser combination on me during a French Quarter run.

fair enough. sounds awful.

going for the weekend in December. the wedding is in Algiers point. any recs on places to stay? we are pretty much on our own for that.

I second both Commanders and Cochon. Not sure if Commanders still has $0.25 martinis on weekdays. Cochon is fantastic, both the restaurant and the butcher. Make sure you try the moonshine if you hit the restaurant. Can also find some good places down Magazine Street if you are feeling adventurous. Lastly, for an inexpensive meal that is an institution, get breakfast or a po-boy at Mothers Restaurant. Line forms outside, but good food, particularly if you are recovering from the night before.

Taking my kid there in April. Any recs for a traditional creole restaurant?

Trying to figure out if Shayla is worth it if I have to eat at 4:45 or 9:45.

If you want traditional, casual and inexpensive good food, go to Frankie and Johnnies in Uptown. New owner since I lived there, but I went last year and it was still great. It was a family favorite for years.

Should probably get drunk and listen to the blues

Back