• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Stephen King Book -- 11/22/63

ilovewfu

Reaction score
I just read it, and it's fantastic. A bit long, but well worth it. It's also my first King book, and I'm told it's different from some of his other books. Anyone else read it?

I've thought about reading it, but haven't taken the plunge.

I do hear that it has gotten excellent reviews.

King has some truly excellent books out there. He also has a bunch of garbage, simply because he was so prolific. But when he tries, he is an awesome writer and storyteller.

King has some truly excellent books out there. He also has a bunch of garbage, simply because he was so prolific. But when he tries, he is an awesome writer and storyteller.

Agree with this. I've read most of King's books, and some are just phenomenal.

I really enjoyed 11/22/63.....my favorite recent book of his is Duma Key.

For those who have read a lot if King, there was supposed to be a movie and tv series on the Dark Tower. Supposed to be three movies with three tv seasons in between to bridge the books. Ron Howard was directing and Javier Bardeem was going to be The Gunslinger. That would have been epic, but nbc backed out......I guess they're trying to go through hbo now.

Never read any King. If I were to only have one work on my Kindle, what should I get?

Never read any King. If I were to only have one work on my Kindle, what should I get?

Depends on the theme you are after. More horror type stiff I would choose Duma Key or It. If you are less into that kind of stuff, then The Green Mile.

For those who have read a lot if King, there was supposed to be a movie and tv series on the Dark Tower. Supposed to be three movies with three tv seasons in between to bridge the books. Ron Howard was directing and Javier Bardeem was going to be The Gunslinger. That would have been epic, but nbc backed out......I guess they're trying to go through hbo now.

Did he ever finish that series? I think I got through 3 books and gave up.

That's like saying "I've never had a burger. I hear they're really good with cheese?"

Seriously, start with IT. Read 'The Stand' next.

That's like saying "I've never had a burger. I hear they're really good with cheese?"

I think it's more like saying " I watch TV but have never seen the Simpsons". King is bigger than niche but it doesn't surprise me that people haven't read anything by him as he may be considered too low brow. If someone said that they had never read or seen anything associated with him then that would be surprising. Speaking of which, why can't we get another Creep Show? Trick r Treat was close, I guess.

Did he ever finish that series? I think I got through 3 books and gave up.

Yes....and starting at book 3 or 4 it starts getting really good. The Gunslinger (1) and Drawing of the Three (2) were both a little slow....but Wizard and Glass (4) is awesome.

Yes....and starting at book 3 or 4 it starts getting really good. The Gunslinger (1) and Drawing of the Three (2) were both a little slow....but Wizard and Glass (4) is awesome.

Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Callah were the best, in my opinion. I liked the first 3 a lot, but the last 2 weren't quite as good, probably just because of the sheer weirdness of the plot towards the end. However, I did love the series as a whole.

He's writing another book in the series, fyi, The Wind Through the Keyhole.

My mom just recommended this to me. I agree that Kings good works are really good but he just writes to much for everything to be good work.

Surprised with the couple of IT suggestions. I always thought IT was pretty weak. If you want good King in his horror days, I say go with The Shining, Salem's Lot or Pet Semetary.

Also, I read all of the Gunslinger books and up through Wizard and Glass (which was probably the best one) I really enjoyed them. Then, in typical King fasion, he had no idea how to end things and it all became a horrible mess.

Was never much of a reader outside of school until recently. Except Jurassic Park, LotR, and Goosebumps.

IT is a good read, but gets a little slow and it is a long book. Same for The Stand. To me, Misery is a great read, as are The Shining and Cujo. Christine is also well written and a little off the mainstream. But, if you want to just get a taste of his writing style, read some of his short stories. The Body (basis for movie Stand By Me) is good reading, as is The Long Walk, written under his pseudonym Richard Bachman (and usually found in The Bachman Books). Shawshank is solid writing, but you know how it turns out and have probably seen the movie too many times to really get into it. I like more of his "non-supernatural" stuff, personally.

I have read that King is something of a nightmare to work on when converting his writing to movies/mini-drama. He had some sort of major falling out after one movie - can't remember which - and at least for a while took a more major role in some of his movies. That is probably why several of them turn out to laughingly bad compared to the books - most notably IT.

Surprised with the couple of IT suggestions. I always thought IT was pretty weak. If you want good King in his horror days, I say go with The Shining, Salem's Lot or Pet Semetary.

Also, I read all of the Gunslinger books and up through Wizard and Glass (which was probably the best one) I really enjoyed them. Then, in typical King fasion, he had no idea how to end things and it all became a horrible mess.

I think King is best at capturing childhood and how kids interact. He can literally transport you back to your youth, and half of IT is kids taking on ....um well IT.

Duma Key is very underrated.

Back