• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Stephen King Book -- 11/22/63

Bought this yesterday and I'm through page 150 or so, and I really like it so far. One thing I'm not a fan of though is intertwining characters from "It" into the story in Derry. I really hope it's only part of the story and not something where I feel like I'm reading IT part 2 instead of a different novel.

Stephen Kings short stories are often much better than his novels. Of all his books, I recommend: Misery, The Stand, Running Man, Needful Things, Insomnia, Desperation, Everythings Eventual, Bag of Bones, It, Duma Key

My favorite short story of Kings is called "Survivor Type". It's about a coke addict surgeon who gets stranded on a desert island, here is a snippet:

Feb 17(?)

Took off my right leg at the knee, but lost a lot of blood. Pain excruciating in spite of heroin. Shock-trauma would have killed a lesser man. Let me answer with a question: How badly does the patient want to survive? How badly does the patient want to live?

Hands trembling. If they are betraying me, I'm through. They have no right to betray me. No right at all. I've taken care of them all their lives. Pampered them. They better not. Or they'll be sorry.

At least I'm not hungry.

Back