• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New UVA logos

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
I missed this when it was announced. WTF is that hole?

a56adad5a4fac833ce526da303909435.jpg

While you were in "school", I studied the blade.

The blade V is something unique, but it would make more sense of the head was titled up. It took too long to realize that was the top of a hat.

So if they just hadn't said when the new logos were announced back in April that the new design was intended to look like the serpentine walls, the logos would've been ok? It's not like sword handles with grips have a closer connection to slavery than smooth sword handles.

So if they just hadn't said when the new logos were announced back in April that the new design was intended to look like the serpentine walls, the logos would've been ok? It's not like sword handles with grips have a closer connection to slavery than smooth sword handles.

Yes. They explicitly said they were honoring a part of campus architecture that turned out to be closely tied to slavery. If they hadn’t said that’s what the grips were evoking, then it would’ve been fine.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29314996/virginia-changes-logo-remove-slavery-history

Took way too long to figure out that is top of a hat.

Looks more like honoring tropical storm Alberto or a hurricane.

So...it’s the serpentine grip on the handle that evoked the campus wall architecture related to slavery?

Now the grips are smooth...?

Old on left, new on right.

uva-logo.jpg

Link.

So...it’s the serpentine grip on the handle that evoked the campus wall architecture related to slavery?

Now the grips are smooth...?

Old on left, new on right.

uva-logo.jpg

Link.

Yeah, that seems a bit tenuous, but I guess whatever. I'm fine with the V crossed sabres with smooth grips. But the cavalier from directly above looks awful. They'd be better off just deleting the cavalier completely as a logo and sticking with the V sabres.

There was a thread forever ago about the one that looks like South Park's Kenny holding two sabers. It was pretty funny. I think it may have been a link to the UVa board's response and how horrified they were and the various photoshopped versions. I had side-splitting laughter going through it for 5-10 minutes ...

Back