• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

I wasn't arguing. Literally the only thing I said in the thread is to not argue with you lol so the exact opposite.

You're arguing with me about whether or not you're arguing with me.

You would think.

Is there some kind of convenient system that puts every team’s w/l record into context based on strength of schedule?

Yes, and we see that in Y4 Manning has not significantly elevated the program vs [Redacted]'s Y4.

As a heads up, using “lol” in an argument takes away a lot of credibility.

Good thing no one's arguing.

If something is laughable, are gif responses more acceptable or do you just pretend it didn't happen? Asking for a friend.

Coaching results are rarely follow a monotonically increasing function over multiple years. There are too many variables in terms of player presence/absence/injury/development. Three years of improvement followed by a single year of decrement is not a disaster. The decline is concerning. However the caliber of the 2018 entering class which includes the best recruit to sign with Wake this decade should get things moving up again.

Coaching results are rarely follow a monotonically increasing function over multiple years. There are too many variables in terms of player presence/absence/injury/development. Three years of improvement followed by a single year of decrement is not a disaster. The decline is concerning. However the caliber of the 2018 entering class which includes the best recruit to sign with Wake this decade should get things moving up again.
Year 2 was an improvement?

Some choose to put significantly less weight on years 1 & 2, and focus mostly on years 3 & 4. 3 was a substantial improvement, 4 was a substantial regression. Difference of opinion.

Yes, and we see that in Y4 Manning has not significantly elevated the program vs [Redacted]'s Y4.

Are we using a 4 year sample size or a 1 year sample size. If we get to choose arbitrary sample sizes I’ll go with 2 years (though I think I’ve got good arguments for doing that).

On average, Manning’s year’s 3 and 4 (+12.1) were about 8 points per 100 possessions better than [Redacted]’s (+3.9). That’s pretty significant (about the same difference between us and the worst final four team this year).

If we want to go with y’alls favorite “3 wins in Four years” sample size then Manning’s been almost 10 points per 100 possessions better than [Redacted].

What? More straw men. That's not what Blue is talking about.

Hard to keep track of all the arbitrary comparisons. I also don’t think he was saying that Year 2 saw an improvement in results over year 1 or even year 4 of [Redacted].

What’s funny though is that many of us saw improvement in year 2 in all the immeasurable metrics most on this board seem so fond of. It’s a large reason we weren’t surprised at the jump in year 3 which many posters on this thread were arguing wouldn’t happen as it was happening.

And if we want to tak strawmen, the biggest one on the boards at the moment is that I’m some sort of Manning defender or apologist. He’s not a great coach and probably never will be. He completely lost control of this year’s team and the results were awful. He has clear flaws that raise legitimate concerns about how high our ceiling as a team is even if Manning brings in the level of talent Wake fans grew accustomed to.

I’m just pointing out, as I did prior to and during the 2016 season, that the signs of a large improvement from this year to the next are clearly there.

Hard to keep track of all the arbitrary comparisons. I also don’t think he was saying that Year 2 saw an improvement in results over year 1 or even year 4 of [Redacted].

What’s funny though is that many of us saw improvement in year 2 in all the immeasurable metrics most on this board seem so fond of. It’s a large reason we weren’t surprised at the jump in year 3 which many posters on this thread were arguing wouldn’t happen as it was happening.

And if we want to tak strawmen, the biggest one on the boards at the moment is that I’m some sort of Manning defender or apologist. He’s not a great coach and probably never will be. He completely lost control of this year’s team and the results were awful. He has clear flaws that raise legitimate concerns about how high our ceiling as a team is even if Manning brings in the level of talent Wake fans grew accustomed to.

I’m just pointing out, as I did prior to and during the 2016 season, that the signs of a large improvement from this year to the next are clearly there.

same.

You guys fight awfully hard to defend someone you don't believe in.

Ah, the ole RJ "I defend against criticisms of the coach, but I'm not a defender of him because I've set clear expectations that he must meet or else he's fired" approach. I dig it.

You guys fight awfully hard to defend someone you don't believe in.

Meh. You can not be an apologist or some big fan of a coach and still think he deserves a year with his best team (on paper) to date to prove if he can get the job done or not.

Ah, the ole RJ "I defend against criticisms of the coach, but I'm not a defender of him because I've set clear expectations that he must meet or else he's fired" approach.

I'm not sure I've been around long enough to know what this means/is in reference, but I defend criticisms that I believe are unwarranted and don't defend criticisms that are (and have criticized many aspects of his coaching myself on several occasions).

Ah, the ole RJ "I defend against criticisms of the coach, but I'm not a defender of him because I've set clear expectations that he must meet or else he's fired" approach. I dig it.

If you compare Trump to Hitler as a person I’m probably going to step in and call you an idiot. It’s a stretch to call that a defense of Trump.

I will defend Manning’s performance through year 3. But not going to defend this past year, his performance as a whole, or his overall quality as a coach.

Back