• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

Are you saying that context is required when comparing one win comparison to another? What a novel concept.

No. I'm saying it's not ridiculous to compare wins by one coach to wins by the next coach, especially when both only had 4 year tenures.

Gary Williams, Maryland, what do I win?

Nothing. Maryland had been to 5 tournaments in the 7 seasons prior to Gary, including two sweet 16s. Maryland cut bait on Wade in time to capitalize on Lefty’s success. As Ph has pointed out, Odom, Skip, and even Dino’s success is no longer relevant.

It is worth noting, however, that Williams had two rather meh stints at major conference programs before coming to Maryland at age 44 and that it took him 5 years to get back to the tournament.

Nothing. Maryland had been to 5 tournaments in the 7 seasons prior to Gary, including two sweet 16s. Maryland cut bait on Wade in time to capitalize on Lefty’s success. As Ph has pointed out, Odom, Skip, and even Dino’s success is no longer relevant.

It is worth noting, however, that Williams had two rather meh stints at major conference programs before coming to Maryland at age 44 and that it took him 5 years to get back to the tournament.

Gary Williams took over a program on probation and totally rocked from a drug and academic scandal; Len Bias dies on campus and Lefty lied about how close he was to graduating

Gary Williams was discussed as a possible Wake coach around the time Staak was let go and Odom hired. However, Alma Mater Maryland got his services.

No. I'm saying it's not ridiculous to compare wins by one coach to wins by the another coach, especially when both played the same number of games.

I don’t know, it kind of seems like you are.

Didn’t want to have to do this to you but let’s walk through it: why is it ridiculous to compare College of Charleston’s record this season to Duke’s?

I don’t know, it kind of seems like you are.

Didn’t want to have to do this to you but let’s walk through it: why is it ridiculous to compare College of Charleston’s record this season to Duke’s?

DON'T DO IT. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Obviously the circumstances of [Redacted]'s record (average SoS ranking of 71.75) and Manning's record were not identical (27.5), but they were much more similar than the circumstances of Duke's record (15th) and CoC's record (255th).

right, it was far worse, and yet they hired a coach who went to more than one Final 4 and cut down the nets. Got it?

lol. Short of the death penalty the NCAA can’t hand down a penalty worse than irrelevance and they certainly didn’t in that case (a postseason ban to a team with a ceiling as a bubble team and he still had 13 scholarships to work with).

Obviously the circumstances of [Redacted]'s record (average SoS ranking of 71.75) and Manning's record were not identical (27.5), but they were much more similar than the circumstances of Duke's record (15th) and CoC's record (255th).

You would think.

Is there some kind of convenient system that puts every team’s w/l record into context based on strength of schedule?

lol. Short of the death penalty the NCAA can’t hand down a penalty worse than irrelevance and they certainly didn’t in that case (a postseason ban to a team with a ceiling as a bubble team and he still had 13 scholarships to work with).

Send your kid to Maryland ! He <probably> won't drop dead on campus !

I wasn't arguing. Literally the only thing I said in the thread is to not argue with you lol so the exact opposite.

Back