• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

This is impressive.

“Manning sucks at recruiting, but even if he didn’t he sucks at maximizing talent, but even if he does it was just the talent carrying him to success which isn’t sustainable because Manning sucks at recruiting . . .”

Almost as impressive as you stating that you've had little confidence in Manning.

Almost as impressive as you stating that you've had little confidence in Manning.

Been saying it for the past few months. My confidence that he’s a long term answer for the program is next to nothing (<10%) and my confidence that he meets expectations next year (Top 8 seed and a solid 2019 recruiting class) is probably 60/40 at best (waiting to see how the roster shakes out).

You clearly won't let any of this die or run its natural course.

Whatever you need, bub!

I know it’s the nature of the boards to run and hide when your unsupported blanket statements or your weak attempts to support those statements are challenged, but where is the fun in that?

If y’all want to a “whining only, no arguments allowed” thread to bitch about Manning I promise I won’t post on it.

It's always funny to get into a tussle with RChill, leave the boards for awhile, and see he's still in a tussle with someone else about the same thing.

It’s really a stupid argument, either he sucks and fire him now or he doesn’t suck and shouldn’t be fired, one extra season isn’t going to change that. Consensus says he sucks, the end.

It’s really a stupid argument, either he sucks and fire him now or he doesn’t suck and shouldn’t be fired, one extra season isn’t going to change that. Consensus says he sucks, the end.

Y’all are legit nervous that we are going to be good next year, forcing you to admit you were wrong about Manning or twist yourself in knots “arguing” that Manning still sucks. It’s sad to see but at least Ph is getting his practice in.

At the end of the day, wins are all that matter. I don't care if Manning holds the title of crappiest coach to ever win a national championship.

Been saying it for the past few months. My confidence that he’s a long term answer for the program is next to nothing (<10%) and my confidence that he meets expectations next year (Top 8 seed and a solid 2019 recruiting class) is probably 60/40 at best (waiting to see how the roster shakes out).

But this scenario is a problem. Most of us believe that he is not the long term solution, but he's bringing in enough talent next year to probably bumble his way into the tourney, which will buy him another 2 seasons at Wake. If there is a less than 10% chance that he is the solution after 4 seasons, why give him another season?

But this scenario is a problem. Most of us believe that he is not the long term solution, but he's bringing in enough talent next year to probably bumble his way into the tourney, which will buy him another 2 seasons at Wake. If there is a less than 10% chance that he is the solution after 4 seasons, why give him another season?

Because anyone we replace him with will also have a less than 10% chance of being the long term solution and I don’t trust Wellman to hire someone with more than a 60% chance of meeting expectations next year.

The optimal way to build a program is to fire a guy at or near his peak and leverage that peak to hire a guy with a higher peak while maintaining the momentum of the program.

Rchill is the guy in fantasy football that refuses to drop a player, let’s call him 2017 Amari Cooper, because he was an original player drafted high. As the season progresses the player has one good game and yet still holds onto him because his turn around is just right around the corner. Just as he is about to pull the trigger he explodes for 20 points, before regressing back to his shitty season.

Because anyone we replace him with will also have a less than 10% chance of being the long term solution and I don’t trust Wellman to hire someone with more than a 60% chance of meeting expectations next year.

The optimal way to build a program is to fire a guy at or near his peak and leverage that peak to hire a guy with a higher peak while maintaining the momentum of the program.

Wellman isn't going anywhere. And even if he does, the new AD will probably stick with Manning for a season simply due to the timing. Keeping Manning this year buys him at least two more years.

Fair enough. Fuck Wellman. But Ph is right, there is no indication that Ronnie is going anywhere in the foreseeable future, other than he is getting older. It could be 5 more years.

Wellman isn't going anywhere. And even if he does, the new AD will probably stick with Manning for a season simply due to the timing. Keeping Manning this year buys him at least two more years.

If we are going to live in the fantasy land where Wellman isn’t our AD (and thus there’s the possibility that Manning gets fired this year) then surely we can extend it all the way through.

I don’t get the “I want my AD to hire a new coach now because he’s such an idiot that if Manning has a mediocre season next year he will give him two more” argument.

If we are going to live in the fantasy land where Wellman isn’t our AD (and thus there’s the possibility that Manning gets fired this year) then surely we can extend it all the way through.

I don’t get the “I want my AD to hire a new coach now because he’s such an idiot that if Manning has a mediocre season next year he will give him two more” argument.

You don't get it because you have a higher opinion of Manning as a coach than others do.

Back